The Western Conference

NowDoYouBelieve

I officially deem the West to be a clusterf*ck toward the playoff push. 6 points...6 freaking points...separate 5th place and 14th place. Can anybody remember anything this close at the 2/3 mark of the season?

Yeah, it was 4 points the other day... All except Blues I think have a legit chance at the playoffs. Does this have an impact on trades at the deadline? Who in the West is 'selling'?

Yeah, it was 4 points the other day... All except Blues I think have a legit chance at the playoffs. Does this have an impact on trades at the deadline? Who in the West is 'selling'?

St Louis. Other then that, you're right. This deadline day may be very small. Ottawa supposedly will be huge sellers but the market will be thin.

I think despite being in the run, the Coyotes could be big sellers too. I heard they are on pace to lose like $48 million. I wouldn't be surprised if many of their players are send packing.

I think its anstonishing how many teams in the NHL have a chance to make the playoffs this season. You dont get this type of competition in a league like the NFL :thumbdown: . Where one team doesn't even win a game,and another could go undefeated. Right now in the standings,there are only 6 real bottom feeders in the league: Islanders,Thrashers, Sens,Lightning,Leafs,Blues. And still the Blues are only 1 point behind the Av's in the west. The Isles and Thrashers,on the only hand are done. But nevertheless,the closeness in the standings is amazing. :thumbsup:

I think its anstonishing how many teams in the NHL have a chance to make the playoffs this season. You dont get this type of competition in a league like the NFL :thumbdown: . Where one team doesn't even win a game,and another could go undefeated. Right now in the standings,there are only 6 real bottom feeders in the league: Islanders,Thrashers, Sens,Lightning,Leafs,Blues. And still the Blues are only 1 point behind the Av's in the west. The Isles and Thrashers,on the only hand are done. But nevertheless,the closeness in the standings is amazing. :thumbsup:

Hope ATL is not "done" enough to beat PHIL this afternoon (one of their "games-in-hand" v. Sabres)!

;) ;)

The East is fairly packed as well. There are only 7 points between 4th place and 10th place.

Big difference is that, in the East, there are really only two teams on the outside that have a chance. In the West, roughly six teams on the outside are still in it. So, the seeding may change in the East, but the teams won't much. In the West nobody really knows if they have a chance or not. That will have a big impact at the trade deadline.

Hope ATL is not "done" enough to beat PHIL this afternoon (one of their "games-in-hand" v. Sabres)!

;) ;)

Yeah,but people might call that an upset,rather than a turning point for Les Thrash. That happens in hockey alot. I dont think alot of people thought the Rangers would of went down to the Stars 10 to 2 friday. Is that going to get Dallas into a better position?

The East is fairly packed as well. There are only 7 points between 4th place and 10th place.

yeah, the crazy thing is the Sabres would be in 5th place in the Western conference with a 3 point lead over Dallas. The East is a lot more top heavy as 7 teams have more than 60 points, while in the East only 4 teams do. That being said, there is a lot more balance in the West as every team has at least 50 points, while the East has 5 teams under 50 points and 1 under 40...seems the East teams are able to get some extra points by beating up on the 5 patsies while the West teams are slugging it out with each other every night...

Big difference is that, in the East, there are really only two teams on the outside that have a chance. In the West, roughly six teams on the outside are still in it. So, the seeding may change in the East, but the teams won't much. In the West nobody really knows if they have a chance or not. That will have a big impact at the trade deadline.

I never meant to imply there wasn't a difference. I was merely commenting on how remarkably close a lot of teams are this year. I certainly prefer the situation in the East over the West. With so many teams bunched together, there is a much greater chance that you could lose out to a team who gets hot at the right time in the West.

yeah, it is great. i think it was 1998 -- there was an amazing race to the finish. the sabres dealt for chrisy gratton and gilmour and they pushed the sabres to the playoff. but there was a wild race between at least 10-12 teams. that was an exciting season where gilmour poured his heart out every shift -- what an amazing pro he was. that was one of the most exciting sabre playoff pushes i can remember -- gilmour and gratton played the day after the trade, and i think dougie flew a redeye for the game. lol...great stuff...

I officially deem the West to be a clusterf*ck toward the playoff push. 6 points...6 freaking points...separate 5th place and 14th place. Can anybody remember anything this close at the 2/3 mark of the season?

I think its anstonishing how many teams in the NHL have a chance to make the playoffs this season. You dont get this type of competition in a league like the NFL :thumbdown: .

:lol:

I love the NHL, but year in, year out there are lots of teams battling over the last playoff spot.

Chargers anyone?

Archived