The Magic Helmet

millbank

Worthy of taking time to ponder. Personally can remember so many fine times playing hockey as youth, gained many friends who are still friends today, both on my teams and foes. Can often remember the echo of parents , I came to wish only children allowed signs be posted and Parents only allowed on special occasions on their best behavior.

(rethought my comments and wish to make clear not to be disparaging of the many fine adults who do give of their time.)

Worthy of taking time to ponder. Personally can remember so many fine times playing hockey as youth, gained many friends who are still friends today, both on my teams and foes. Can often remember the echo of parents , I came to wish only children allowed signs be posted and Parents only allowed on special occasions on their best behavior.

(rethought my comments and wish to make clear not to be disparaging of the many fine adults who do give of their time.)

Darn it Grant, you posted this link before I had a chance to.

One of my boy's coaches sent the link to the entire team, and I've forwarded it to the teams I coach and to my parent organization's top dogs. It is one of the best videos I have seen and should be required viewing for ALL youth sports parents and participants. I just got back from a HOUSE tournament where there were parents losing their minds. One told an 11 year old kid to "go find a hole and die." Real nice attitude and an incredible example to put forward for their own kid.

PS - Grant, glad to see you posting more. Hope that means your health is back.

You know, I really believe this happens in every sport, but with only a few really a$$hole parents. Trouble is, these said parents are usually the loudest, most obnoxious people around. Even if they didn't have kids they'd still be jerks.

Where I work we have kids as young as 8 racing the 1/8th mile in small (jr.) dragsters. Typically, these kids' have their parents as their crew. Let me tell you, I have seen enough dads throw things, swear, and kick cars and quads when their kid red-lights to last me a life time. These kids are touted by the sanctioning body as our future, and most every dragstrip has a junior dragster program, but honestly, we would like too not even run them, because of some of the parents we encounter. Note I say some because most of the parents are really cool people who make their weekly trip to the strip a family event and they have a lot of fun. But for those kids who are getting yelled at cuz they can't drive the top end at the age of 8, my heart just goes out to them.

Darn it Grant, you posted this link before I had a chance to.

One of my boy's coaches sent the link to the entire team, and I've forwarded it to the teams I coach and to my parent organization's top dogs. It is one of the best videos I have seen and should be required viewing for ALL youth sports parents and participants. I just got back from a HOUSE tournament where there were parents losing their minds. One told an 11 year old kid to "go find a hole and die." Real nice attitude and an incredible example to put forward for their own kid.

PS - Grant, glad to see you posting more. Hope that means your health is back.

Exactly... It is amazing how people act... Yet (and not to get too political... :D ;) ) IMO, our society seems to glorify those very bad practices... I cringe when I hear stuff like: "Pitbull" "Hockey Mom."

Maybe a lot of people see it differently and see it as harmless... But, that is how I see things.

Great post Mill!

Archived