Briere return on hold.

nucci

If the Flyers are holding Briere out to protect against going over the cap there should be ramifications from the League. If he is healthy the Flyers should be forced to take take him off IR, take the cap hit and all of the resulting penalties.

Fortunately for them, arguing that a player isn't 100% for one game isn't too hard. After that, they get the All-Star break. Without that break, they would probably be looked at a little more closely. Of course, the CBA does specifically say that the Commissioner should take all steps necessary to ensure that the Bona Fide Long Term Injury system isn't being abused.

They really aren't to far off from putting Briere back in, cap-wise. Right now, they have about a 130 day (from 12/3 to end of season) cap cushion against his salary, which works out to about $4.58 million. If he comes back now, that cushion gets reduced to just under 50 days (the time he actually missed), a drop of about $2.87 million, which is what they need to cover. Currently, they have net cap space (after adding cushions to cap) of about $2.48 million, meaning that they need to clear about $0.39 million in remaining cap hit. Correcting for days left in the season, that means they need to get rid of about $0.877 million in gross (full 186 day season) cap hit. Strangely enough, their easiest option, sending 18-year-old defenseman Sbisa back down, has a gross hit of $0.875 million. I don't know if they can wait long enough (my day counts are only rough) for that move to be sufficient on its own, but I'm sure they will also make some move to get a little breathing room back.

Fortunately for them, arguing that a player isn't 100% for one game isn't too hard. After that, they get the All-Star break. Without that break, they would probably be looked at a little more closely. Of course, the CBA does specifically say that the Commissioner should take all steps necessary to ensure that the Bona Fide Long Term Injury system isn't being abused.

They really aren't to far off from putting Briere back in, cap-wise. Right now, they have about a 130 day (from 12/3 to end of season) cap cushion against his salary, which works out to about $4.58 million. If he comes back now, that cushion gets reduced to just under 50 days (the time he actually missed), a drop of about $2.87 million, which is what they need to cover. Currently, they have net cap space (after adding cushions to cap) of about $2.48 million, meaning that they need to clear about $0.39 million in remaining cap hit. Correcting for days left in the season, that means they need to get rid of about $0.877 million in gross (full 186 day season) cap hit. Strangely enough, their easiest option, sending 18-year-old defenseman Sbisa back down, has a gross hit of $0.875 million. I don't know if they can wait long enough (my day counts are only rough) for that move to be sufficient on its own, but I'm sure they will also make some move to get a little breathing room back.

Slacker :rolleyes:

I was thinking... How easy would it be to just fake a surgery to keep him out of the lineup for the sake of keeping the team together for now? The Flyers are already pretty heavy on forwards and his salary is going to make for an interesting cap situation.

I was thinking... How easy would it be to just fake a surgery to keep him out of the lineup for the sake of keeping the team together for now? The Flyers are already pretty heavy on forwards and his salary is going to make for an interesting cap situation.

Fakeing a surgery is out there. Having Briere under go a procedure he may have been planning in the off-season is a little more believable.

Faking a surgery is out there. Having Briere under go a procedure he may have been planning in the off-season is a little more believable.

Good call. The team is playing well enough, so as long as the recovery time isn't too long (appears to be relatively short), now's the time to do it. Solves their cap problem and he will be closer to 100% for the rest of the season.

Archived