NHL attendance and TV ratings

Kelly the Dog

Just read an interesting article on attendance and TV ratings at the halfway point, which are both up around the league. The Sabres lead the league in local TV ratings by a huge margin over the second placed team, at 8.87 versus the Penguins at 6.14. The Panthers had a 0.15 and Islanders 0.17. Obviously, the huge cities have everything to do with the low numbers, but it's good to see the locals have such a solid TV following.

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnews...s&folio=CGI

I would love to see it, but linky no worky.

Sorry about that. Since it's a free newsletter I thought the link to the page would work but I forgot you had to sign up for it. And you cannot even cut and paste off the page. It's a remarkably great free (for now) online sports magazine, from The Sporting News, like a USA Today sports section. Here is a link to sign up for anyone that wants to.

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnews...mp;u1=texterity

Buffalo being a huge and important TV market is no surprise. That was a big reason that Bettman and the NHL worked hard to keep the Sabres in Buffalo when the Rigas crap hit the fan. I wouldn't be surprised if Western New York was at the top of the list for number of Center Ice subscriptions per household. You add that to constant sell outs for a NFL franchise that hasn't been significant in 9 years. Buffalo sports fans take a back seat to no one.

Sorry about that. Since it's a free newsletter I thought the link to the page would work but I forgot you had to sign up for it. And you cannot even cut and paste off the page. It's a remarkably great free (for now) online sports magazine, from The Sporting News, like a USA Today sports section. Here is a link to sign up for anyone that wants to.

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnews...mp;u1=texterity

Go figure, Kelly the Dog seems a little bare without the Fair and Balanced part. Thanks for the link... It's on Page 25.

Another link:

Sports Business Journal

Local ratings rose in 15 of 22 markets in the U.S. , according to Nielsen data obtained by sources. (The Nashville Predators and Carolina Hurricanes ratings weren?t available.) The Buffalo Sabres led the league with an 8.87 average local rating per game, and the Pittsburgh Penguins were the second highest with a 6.14 average. The Florida Panthers averaged a league-low 0.15 local rating, while the Islanders had a 0.17 average.

Buffalo being a huge and important TV market is no surprise. That was a big reason that Bettman and the NHL worked hard to keep the Sabres in Buffalo when the Rigas crap hit the fan. I wouldn't be surprised if Western New York was at the top of the list for number of Center Ice subscriptions per household. You add that to constant sell outs for a NFL franchise that hasn't been significant in 9 years. Buffalo sports fans take a back seat to no one.

My guess is that former Western New Yorkers constitute a huge proportion of the Center Ice subscriptions. Thank God for Center Ice or the Flyboys would be my only option.

True. I have my own oipinions about this too... But, I am gonna keep my political/socio-economic/BFLO city evolution/make up of the sport/proximity to S. Ontario to myself.

;) ;)

I never understood why DET got so much press... They really didn't start winning till recently and when they did in the past, there was only 6 teams. Well, I do they really are the mecca for US hockey because of being "in the game for much longer" at the pro level.

It really is that CHI-DET-BFLO-BOS corridor that is the huge market for US hockey.

Archived