1. 1. Which prospect's development is most vital the Sabres success

• Ennis
    • Enroth
    • Gerbe
    • Mancari
    • Perrson
    • Weber
    • Zagrapan

At first, it would seem Weber would be the most obvious choice, but with defensemen lined up behind him, the need isn't pressing at this time. Then money becomes an issue. People think Timmy is out the door after this season... will Gerbe be up, or even good enough? It's doubtful. Will Zagrapan become what most thought he would? Doesn't look good. That leaves Ennis, who almost surely won't be ready for next season. Enroth could save the team money if he proves to be a star, but how long will that take, or will it happen?

After mulling all that over, I threw out Perrson and Mancari because they don't seem to fit into the teams plans. If Zagrapan matured, he would be a possibility, but the seemingly small chance that that will happen made me drop him.

This brings the battle of the two young centers to the forefront. The potential of these two guys really is the most important in this situation, because we will need one scoring center soon. I am under the assumption Ennis will be a better NHLer than Gerbe when all is said and done, so i'll toss Nate out.

Weber is going to be good, so he is less of a question to me than the others. I don't see another defenseman in his mold in the minors, but our system really is packed with defenseman. Because of depth, and the fact that he is almost "already there" in terms of development, i'll drop him too.

This brings it down to Ennis and Enroth. The only reason I am considering Enroth for this question is because of the money Ryan Miller will be making from here on out. I am well aware the time it takes to develope a goalie, and the chance that he won't even pan out, but I am also aware that he is a highly touted goaltending prospect that could be great. If he happens to break out, and be NHL ready in time to save this team money, I believe he could be the most important.

Sorry I do think it's defense (look at how many total goals we scored last year, IMHO forwards other than consistency are not the issue) even just for the toughness and ability to clamp it down when needed so lets pair him with Rivet and get him ready.. :chris:

I voted Weber, because of how he will help in the short-term. I just don't see most of those choices being asked to be core pieces in the near future, but rather just being fill-ins until they force the Sabres' hand and push someone out of the lineup.

I voted Weber, because of how he will help in the short-term. I just don't see most of those choices being asked to be core pieces in the near future, but rather just being fill-ins until they force the Sabres' hand and push someone out of the lineup.

Great Minds... :beer: drink alike

Yeah, I agree with you on the short term. I think there should have been a time period given in the question, but I kept it the same. I think Weber is very important, but I also think whats coming up in the wings on defense has the potential to be just as dangerous in Butler, Brennan, Schiestel, and eventually Myers. I think in the not-too-distant future, we could be in cap trouble, and anything we could let go would be beneficial. Otherwise, agreed on the short term.

Yeah, I agree with you on the short term. I think there should have been a time period given in the question, but I kept it the same. I think Weber is very important, but I also think whats coming up in the wings on defense has the potential to be just as dangerous in Butler, Brennan, Schiestel, and eventually Myers. I think in the not-too-distant future, we could be in cap trouble, and anything we could let go would be beneficial. Otherwise, agreed on the short term.

Agreed. I just think that right now the more intermediate future is too murky to be sure of who will stay, who will go, how the cap will affect the payroll, etc. For instance - if we can't re-sign Pominville, if TC has a fantastic year and stays healthy, if Spacho stays past the end of this contract, if they bring Teppo back...there's just too many variables to make a good selection in that poll.

I voted Weber given the options; but if you were to include Ennis in this poll why not Tyler Myers? Developing this years top pick and equating it to success to me is pretty important.

Agreed. I just think that right now the more intermediate future is too murky to be sure of who will stay, who will go, how the cap will affect the payroll, etc. For instance - if we can't re-sign Pominville, if TC has a fantastic year and stays healthy, if Spacho stays past the end of this contract, if they bring Teppo back...there's just too many variables to make a good selection in that poll.

There are a lot of factors that we can change my answer on this question. Taking no factors into account I would have to say Weber hands down..He looks to be the mean and nasty Dman we havent had for a long time and if he continues to develop that way he will be a great one I think..

Archived