Depressing thought of the day

carpandean

I seem to recall us agreeing on the subjectivity on such stats in the past, specifically the scoring chances (probably in a debate about Miller :thumbsup: ).

Maybe they need to go with baseball's road map and make a new stat for each category - have "incidental blocked shots" and "clutch blocked shots;" have generic "turnovers" and then categorize ones that result in a scoring-chance as "giveaways", etc etc etc.

It has to be a nightmare for whoever has to keep track of such things. I bet there aren't eight guys doing it -- maybe just a couple, if that. Without more sets of eyes -- and we all know the league is cheap -- it's going to be tough to give us the stats the way we want them.

I'll wish in one hand and hope for the best. :)

It has to be a nightmare for whoever has to keep track of such things. I bet there aren't eight guys doing it -- maybe just a couple, if that. Without more sets of eyes -- and we all know the league is cheap -- it's going to be tough to give us the stats the way we want them.

I'll wish in one hand and hope for the best. :)

True. Even with one set of eyes and a uniform standard for each stat, the league would still probably get it wrong. They can't get their on-ice officials to agree on/adhere to any sort of enforcement standards, so I don't expect them to all operate on the same page as far as stats.

I can tell you that from working in baseball press boxes and working with official scorers, the human element is definitely a huge factor. While scorers tend to agree in general on most plays, I'e witnessed/taken part in a lot of disagreements in opinion over hit/error, and that's just one stat.

True. Even with one set of eyes and a uniform standard for each stat, the league would still probably get it wrong. They can't get their on-ice officials to agree on/adhere to any sort of enforcement standards, so I don't expect them to all operate on the same page as far as stats.

I can tell you that from working in baseball press boxes and working with official scorers, the human element is definitely a huge factor. While scorers tend to agree in general on most plays, I'e witnessed/taken part in a lot of disagreements in opinion over hit/error, and that's just one stat.

The difference in hits was over 300. While yes there is the human element I truly have to doubt that over 82 games there were almost 4 hits a game where the official stat keeper marked a hit where he wouldn't of last year. It's not like these people are new. The team hires them, I believe.

The difference in hits was over 300. While yes there is the human element I truly have to doubt that over 82 games there were almost 4 hits a game where the official stat keeper marked a hit where he wouldn't of last year. It's not like these people are new. The team hires them, I believe.

How do you know these people aren't new? How do you know it's the same people as the year before, as the game before? How do you know it isn't a rotating group of people. all with different definitions of what a hit is? I can tell you that with a minor league baseball team we had four different official scorers for a 60-game home season. That means four different opinions on what is a hit, error, sacrifice, etc. Why is it implausible that there would be more than one scorer for the Sabres and that different scorers would see things differently?

I'd also like to see the link where you got the totals, because I've found individual totals but not team numbers for the last few years.

06-07 total hits: 1303

05-06 total hits: 1073

per nhl.com stats.

Don't know how I missed it before, but the difference was NOT over 300 and was not over 4 per game. The difference between 1303 and 1073 is 230, or 2.80 per game.

Archived