Interesting thought exercise

carpandean

In the "Prediction for July 1st" thread, I wrote that the Sabres would sign a stranded center that could be a top-two liner, but is stuck on another team behind two great centers. I based this on FO strategy of not going after big name UFAs. However, I hadn't actually looked to see who was out there that met that criteria. So, here's the challenge:

Through either an UFA signing (probably younger guy, 27-30), a RFA offer sheet or trade (have to give some justification why the other team might do it), find that diamond in the rough center that we should go after.

For example, in looking at Calgary, they are overloaded at center. They have Cammalleri, Lombardi, Primeau and Boyd under contract, plus word is that they are making a big effort to sign Langkow before July 1st. Assuming they do, that leaves Conroy, Smith and Yelle as UFAs, and it might leave a deserving center as extra weight. They also only have one RW under contract for next year and only two more as UFAs (though, I'm sure some of the guys listed as centers can and/or do play on the wing.) Could there be a trade there for Max? Lombardi has put up some decent numbers and has low cap hit for two more seasons. With Cammalleri and Langkow, would he be odd man out? Boyd is a young kid, who is probably ready to step into their lineup and is likely part of their future plans, so they will probably keep him. Conroy is probably past his prime, but has put up decent numbers before. Yelle is probably not top-two line caliber, but is interesting since he can/has played on D before. Smith doesn't seem to have the offensive abilities, but would be fun to watch. He'd be another small (height-wise) center at 5' 10, but he's bigger (weight-wise) than any of our little guys at 215 lbs and he's a known agitator.

An interesting related question: what happened to Mike York. He put up some pretty good numbers for a while there, but seems to have been dropped to third or fourth line status. He can play all forward positions and is said to be a pretty complete player despite some on-again, off-again +/- numbers (we all know how accurate those numbers are at judging defensive abilities.) He's an UFA this year and probably not on many team's list. What happened?

In the "Prediction for July 1st" thread, I wrote that the Sabres would sign a stranded center that could be a top-two liner, but is stuck on another team behind two great centers. I based this on FO strategy of not going after big name UFAs. However, I hadn't actually looked to see who was out there that met that criteria. So, here's the challenge:

Through either an UFA signing (probably younger guy, 27-30), a RFA offer sheet or trade (have to give some justification why the other team might do it), find that diamond in the rough center that we should go after.

For example, in looking at Calgary, they are overloaded at center. They have Cammalleri, Lombardi, Primeau and Boyd under contract, plus word is that they are making a big effort to sign Langkow before July 1st. Assuming they do, that leaves Conroy, Smith and Yelle as UFAs, and it might leave a deserving center as extra weight. They also only have one RW under contract for next year and only two more as UFAs (though, I'm sure some of the guys listed as centers can and/or do play on the wing.) Could there be a trade there for Max? Lombardi has put up some decent numbers and has low cap hit for two more seasons. With Cammalleri and Langkow, would he be odd man out? Boyd is a young kid, who is probably ready to step into their lineup and is likely part of their future plans, so they will probably keep him. Conroy is probably past his prime, but has put up decent numbers before. Yelle is probably not top-two line caliber, but is interesting since he can/has played on D before. Smith doesn't seem to have the offensive abilities, but would be fun to watch. He'd be another small (height-wise) center at 5' 10, but he's bigger (weight-wise) than any of our little guys at 215 lbs and he's a know agitator.

An interesting related question: what happened to Mike York. He put up some pretty good numbers for a while there, but seems to have been dropped to third or fourth line status. He can play all forward positions and is said to be a pretty complete player despite some on-again, off-again +/- numbers (we all know how accurate those numbers are at judging defensive abilities.) He's an UFA this year and probably not on many team's list. What happened?

We had the opportunity to pick up a guy that fits your criteria last offseason--Mike Comrie. He chose to sign with the Islanders. Not sure if there was any truth to the rumors that we were interested in him but he didn't want to come here.

Mike York was good when playing on the "FLY" line in New York--Fleury, Lindros, York. When the broke up, his production fell off big time.

I am not a fan of Lombardi because he'd be another quick small player that can't win faceoffs and doesnt perform in the playoffs.

Anyway, just to throw some names out there:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Cullen, Carolina - plays behind Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour. Would be a solid veteran pickup but on the downside of his career.

Jarret Stoll, Edmonton - RFA that supposedly Edmonton is trying to move. He's a beast on faceoffs, has a nice shot, and still has some potential.

Mikko Koivu, Minnesota - Could maybe be obtained via trade. Really put it all together this season and has become a nice all-around player still with some untapped potential.

David Legwand, Nashville - When he's healthy he's good. Very fast. Longest-tenured Predator (and original draft pick from inaugural season).

Travis Zajac, New Jersey - Stuck behind Zack Parise/John Madden (I think). Former 1st round pick, just turned 23 years old and is trapped in the Devils' defensive system.

Matt Cullen, Carolina - plays behind Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour. Would be a solid veteran pickup but on the downside of his career.

Jarret Stoll, Edmonton - RFA that supposedly Edmonton is trying to move. He's a beast on faceoffs, has a nice shot, and still has some potential.

Mikko Koivu, Minnesota - Could maybe be obtained via trade. Really put it all together this season and has become a nice all-around player still with some untapped potential.

David Legwand, Nashville - When he's healthy he's good. Very fast. Longest-tenured Predator (and original draft pick from inaugural season).

Travis Zajac, New Jersey - Stuck behind Zack Parise/John Madden (I think). Former 1st round pick, just turned 23 years old and is trapped in the Devils' defensive system.

Haven't seen much of Koivu, so I can't comment on him. Legwand played a good series against Detroit in the playoffs, but haven't seen him more than that.

I'd be surprised if the Devils dealt Zajac...he's the diamond in the rough that they know they have.

I'll take Cullen or Stoll in a heartbeat. Both are beasts on faceoffs and that's been a weak point ever since you-know-who went to you-know-where.

Nice list Goodfella. I follow the Sabres more closely than I should (time-wise), but I tend not to pay close enough attention to other teams.

I did watch Mikko Koivu in the playoffs and he played really well. Besides, you know he's got good genes.

We had the opportunity to pick up a guy that fits your criteria last offseason--Mike Comrie. He chose to sign with the Islanders. Not sure if there was any truth to the rumors that we were interested in him but he didn't want to come here.

I don't think we were interested in him even though he seemed a great fit to the Sabres system.

I've heard it more than once, there are a lot of players that didn't like sharing a locker room with him.

I don't think we were interested in him even though he seemed a great fit to the Sabres system.

I've heard it more than once, there are a lot of players that didn't like sharing a locker room with him.

Has that rich, spoiled smug attitude that sometimes comes from growing up wealthy.

Also, Koivu isn't going anywhere. Without doing any research, I'd say Stoll is the perfect example of a player that fits the profile.

We could try to get Zigomanis ... well, his rights anyway, since we never signed him ... back from Phoenix. They have a lot of centers and, besides, somebody on Wikipedia had this to say about him:

Having terrific vision, soft hands and adept in a passing touch, Zigomanis has molded his role as a third-line playmaker.

:thumbsup:

Now that LA has Stoll, maybe we should put an offer sheet in on O'Sullivan. Yeah, he's another small, young center, but his offensive potential looks to be pretty high. LA probably won't let him go, as Handzus and Armstrong aren't that great.

Now that LA has Stoll, maybe we should put an offer sheet in on O'Sullivan. Yeah, he's another small, young center, but his offensive potential looks to be pretty high. LA probably won't let him go, as Handzus and Armstrong aren't that great.

Maybe Stoll still comes to Buffalo and this way Darcy and Kevin don't have to talk.

Archived