Penguins take club selected arbitration with Fleury

tom webster

I'm still not sure of the intricasies of club selected arbitration, but it is obviously a preemptive strike protecting against an offer sheet.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=365955

Veeeery Iiiiiinteresting.

Not sure if he'll hit 7 years of service after '10 or '11, but he doesn't hit 27 until '11. IF they don't work out a LT deal with him, he will hold most all the cards after this year as he can't be brought to arbitration by his employer. He does still have the right to file should he want to in the future. But if he has another strong season on a 1 year deal, then he will almost definitely get an offer sheet next year. Can you say Vanek-type offer?

I expect to see them giving him a pretty good LT offer in the next month or so to try to keep him from accepting a 1 year arbitration deal, it'll be interesting to see if he takes it.

It'll also be interesting to see if other teams w/ "hot" RFA's follow suit this weekend. I don't expect to see many, but I wasn't expecting any, so who knows.

The other interesting thing is any offers accepted by Miller and other RFA's prior to Fleury's arbitration hearing (if it comes to that point) will be comparables. Kind of like Havlat's megadeal was a comparable for Briere.

EDIT: I think I "misspoke" when I stated that Miller's impending contract would be a comparable on Fleury. The term of the new offer won't kick in until Miller would be an UFA, so Miller's new deal wouldn't be a comparable; the old one would be the one an arbitrator would look at.

It might actually be a good way of keeping him cheap for the next year. Career-wise, he really hasn't done much, but the question is how much would the playoff run weigh on the minds of the arbitrator. Keeping him cheap would obviously be a nice thing with all the money they're about to spend, but then there's the good chance of him not being happy.

Veeeery Iiiiiinteresting.

Not sure if he'll hit 7 years of service after '10 or '11, but he doesn't hit 27 until '11. IF they don't work out a LT deal with him, he will hold most all the cards after this year as he can't be brought to arbitration by his employer. He does still have the right to file should he want to in the future. But if he has another strong season on a 1 year deal, then he will almost definitely get an offer sheet next year. Can you say Vanek-type offer?

I expect to see them giving him a pretty good LT offer in the next month or so to try to keep him from accepting a 1 year arbitration deal, it'll be interesting to see if he takes it.

It'll also be interesting to see if other teams w/ "hot" RFA's follow suit this weekend. I don't expect to see many, but I wasn't expecting any, so who knows.

The other interesting thing is any offers accepted by Miller and other RFA's prior to Fleury's arbitration hearing (if it comes to that point) will be comparables. Kind of like Havlat's megadeal was a comparable for Briere.

Can the Pens not take Fleury for arbitration for a two year deal like the Kings did with Cammaleri? Or is Fleury's arbitration hearing only for one year? I'm not exactly sure how that works with ages, years of service, etc. Any explanation as to why the Pens can't take Fleury to arbitration for two years would be helpful. Thanks.

It might actually be a good way of keeping him cheap for the next year. Career-wise, he really hasn't done much, but the question is how much would the playoff run weigh on the minds of the arbitrator. Keeping him cheap would obviously be a nice thing with all the money they're about to spend, but then there's the good chance of him not being happy.

I'm not sure this is so much to keep Fleury "cheap" as you put it. I think it's more of a tactic to ensure that the Fleury does not get an offer sheet and gives them some more exclusive negotiating rights to Fleury. Once you have filed for arbitration either team initiated or player initiated, I believe the team maintains exclusive negotiating rights with the RFA. So, I don't think Fleury will come cheap at all, but rather gives the Pens more time to negotiate with him and still try to get Hossa, Malone, and Orpik signed by July 1st. I think you will see a lot more teams taking RFAs to arbitration so that they can get more negotiating time and prevent the player from signing an offer sheet. I wouldn't be shocked if Burke ends up taking Corey Perry to arbitration just to prevent him from getting an offer sheet.

The talk in Pittsburgh is as if they will be able to sign everyone. Not sure how that is possible but they all (the talking heads that is) sound very optimistic Malkin, Hossa and Malone will give the obligatory hometown discount which will help them get them all under the cap. I hope this mofo self-destructs.

Can the Pens not take Fleury for arbitration for a two year deal like the Kings did with Cammaleri? Or is Fleury's arbitration hearing only for one year? I'm not exactly sure how that works with ages, years of service, etc. Any explanation as to why the Pens can't take Fleury to arbitration for two years would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm not sure this is so much to keep Fleury "cheap" as you put it. I think it's more of a tactic to ensure that the Fleury does not get an offer sheet and gives them some more exclusive negotiating rights to Fleury. Once you have filed for arbitration either team initiated or player initiated, I believe the team maintains exclusive negotiating rights with the RFA. So, I don't think Fleury will come cheap at all, but rather gives the Pens more time to negotiate with him and still try to get Hossa, Malone, and Orpik signed by July 1st. I think you will see a lot more teams taking RFAs to arbitration so that they can get more negotiating time and prevent the player from signing an offer sheet. I wouldn't be shocked if Burke ends up taking Corey Perry to arbitration just to prevent him from getting an offer sheet.

Because the team chose arbitration, it is Fleury's choice as to whether the arbitration is for 1 or 2 years. I can't think of a good reason for him to choose a 2 year dice roll. (Unless HE thinks last season was a fluke, which I'd expect to have lower odds of occurring than DeLuca adding a Briere tat (unless of course Danny was attached to the arm under Eddie).)

I agree with you as to why the Pens made this decision. I don't think we'll see a lot of teams going this route, but there could be some more this weekend before the deadline.

Archived