Stanley Cup Playoffs Game Discussion Thread

Bmwolf21

Joe Thornton scores...in the playoffs...in Game 7.

I don't know what to make of this. :unsure:

Well there are still Marleau and Campbell who are notorious for crumbling in pressure situations like this. Campbell has also had a terrible series, too, so there's still a chance for the Ron Wilson coached Sharks (yet another crumbler) to crumble in this situation. I'm still rooting for the Sharks, but I have little faith in them given their history of doing nothing in pressure situations.

Well there are still Marleau and Campbell who are notorious for crumbling in pressure situations like this. Campbell has also had a terrible series, too, so there's still a chance for the Ron Wilson coached Sharks (yet another crumbler) to crumble in this situation. I'm still rooting for the Sharks, but I have little faith in them given their history of doing nothing in pressure situations.

Are you rooting for the Sharks because of Campbell or other reasons? I'll take a Sharks loss and a better draft pick. I love that Campbell has been exposed this series, it makes Darcy look even smarter.

Sorry, I think I was unclear. Two separate incidents. The first was Patrick Thoresen of the Flyers who should have been called for goalie interference on Sami Kapanen's goal. That was absolutely B.S. No, the John Erskine one was in overtime. I didn't have a problem with calling the tripping penalty on Poti because just a few minutes earlier, John Erskine of the Caps got away with a trip on Sami Kapanen and the refs did not call it. I think the Poti one may have been a make up call, but given that the Flyers scored an illegitmate goal, the only way to make the game even was to give the Caps a make up goal, but that's my opinion.

I don't necessarily disagree, but the Caps didn't even come close to scoring a goal after that to make a close call.

Are you rooting for the Sharks because of Campbell or other reasons? I'll take a Sharks loss and a better draft pick. I love that Campbell has been exposed this series, it makes Darcy look even smarter.

Well, as a true Sabres fan, I should be rooting for Calgary so that the Sabres get a better pick, but to be honest by that point in the draft it's just a matter of if the pick is a late first rounder or an early 2nd round prospect because the pick is so late in the first round. And the draft is really hit or miss even though this draft is supposedly very deep. I'd like to see the Sabres give the pick back to the Sharks for Patrick Marleau or use the pick in a package for a solid trade, but I doubt it will happen.

I'm rooting for the Sharks not just because of Campbell, but also because of Grier and Curtis Brown. I like those guys. But yeah, what we've known all season long is finally becoming apparent to the rest of the world given how bad of a series Campbell has had. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he's not worth $5.75 million/year we offered nor is he worth the more money he'll probably get in the UFA market either.

Man, where did this Owen Nolan come from? His skills have looked like they were seriously on the decline the last couple years but he has really stepped up in the playoffs.

Well, as a true Sabres fan, I should be rooting for Calgary so that the Sabres get a better pick, but to be honest by that point in the draft it's just a matter of if the pick is a late first rounder or an early 2nd round prospect because the pick is so late in the first round. And the draft is really hit or miss even though this draft is supposedly very deep. I'd like to see the Sabres give the pick back to the Sharks for Patrick Marleau or use the pick in a package for a solid trade, but I doubt it will happen.

I'm rooting for the Sharks not just because of Campbell, but also because of Grier and Curtis Brown. I like those guys. But yeah, what we've known all season long is finally becoming apparent to the rest of the world given how bad of a series Campbell has had. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he's not worth $5.75 million/year we offered nor is he worth the more money he'll probably get in the UFA market either.

Here's a question... Say Calgary does get the win tonight and Campbell goes pointless. Does that affect his value on the open market/re-signing with the Sharks?

Here's a question... Say Calgary does get the win tonight and Campbell goes pointless. Does that affect his value on the open market/re-signing with the Sharks?

I doubt it. I mean if Briere can have a horrible playoffs leading the Sabres in scoring :rolleyes: and get an 8 year $52 million deal, I'm sure some GM will give Campbell upwards of $6-7 million/year. All sarcasm aside, I honestly doubt it, though. Martin Havlatt has never shown up in the playoffs in his life and scored a huge deal from the Hawks. The biggest playoff choker in NHL history, Alexei Yashin got a 10 year $87 million deal, albeit one he was bought out of, but nonetheless he got one. Unfortunately, a bad series with the Sharks will probably not do anything to deter a GM from throwing gobs and gobs of money Campbell's way this Christmas, I mean July 1st.

Looks like this might be the end of the ride for Calgary...San Jose has just popped in a couple quick goals and they are running away with it..5-2 now, with 5 minutes left in the second...

Looks like this might be the end of the ride for Calgary...San Jose has just popped in a couple quick goals and they are running away with it..5-2 now, with 5 minutes left in the second...

Well Jeremy Roenick has sure shown up. 4 points already after being a healthy scratch. 2 goals - 2 assists. There's still a third period, but I think the Sharks have got this. By the way, did the Flames make a goalie change and pull Kipper? I missed the second period.

Well Jeremy Roenick has sure shown up. 4 points already after being a healthy scratch. 2 goals - 2 assists. There's still a third period, but I think the Sharks have got this. By the way, did the Flames make a goalie change and pull Kipper? I missed the second period.

Yeah, the pulled him after the 4th goal but it took SJ all of about 45 seconds to welcome CuJo to the game.

I mean if Briere can have a horrible playoffs leading the Sabres in scoring...

Since when the hell did this deceptive stat become the end all and be all of measuring sticks? Seriously, how many people are just going to repeat this ad naseum as if this stat,, repeated out of context, means anything?

The guy had THREE goals. THREE goals in three series. One goal in per series. Pardon me if that doesn't give me the vapors. Nick Lidstrom and Chris Pronger had more goals than him. Jochen Hecht had more goals than him. Why don't you and the others parade those stats around? It doesn't sound as sexy as "the Sabres leading scorer" does it? He had one goal in a winning effort.

So, every time someone says "Briere was a point a game player" in the playoffs - remember that he was also a one goal per series player too. Unless bouncing pucks off of shin pads means more than actually putting the puck in the net.

Since when the hell did this deceptive stat become the end all and be all of measuring sticks? Seriously, how many people are just going to repeat this ad naseum as if this stat,, repeated out of context, means anything?

The guy had THREE goals. THREE goals in three series. One goal in per series. Pardon me if that doesn't give me the vapors. Nick Lidstrom and Chris Pronger had more goals than him. Jochen Hecht had more goals than him. Why don't you and the others parade those stats around? It doesn't sound as sexy as "the Sabres leading scorer" does it? He had one goal in a winning effort.

So, every time someone says "Briere was a point a game player" in the playoffs - remember that he was also one goal per series too. Unless bouncing pucks off of shin pads means more than actually putting the puck in the net.

You're right. Why even have assists as a scoring category cause clearly they are useless? Let's just forget that assists matter at all. While we're at it, let's also forget that Wayne Gretzky has more assists than any other player to have ever played the game has total points. Let's also forget that Ron Francis and Adam Oates even had careers in the NHL since all they really did was have a ton of assists. While we're at it, let's also throw away Joe Thornton's career up to this point. Wow, you're right, the Sharks made a huge mistake extending Thornton to a $7.2 million/year contract for 3 years. What a waste!

Hmmm...5-3 (Primeau?) with 14:40 to go...not over yet...

Well, if I'm not mistaken, in Campbell's last game with Buffalo, the Sabres gave up a 3 goal lead to lose the game to the Flyers, so wouldn't it be fitting in perhaps his last game with the Sharks they give up a 3 goal lead to lose the game?

Did I see that right? Did the Sharks just get a penalty for a Calgary player high sticking another Calgary player?

Yup and it's too bad that they didn't score on that PP. They got shut down pretty well at the end there, but I don't know if the same would have happened if they had pulled within one with that much time left. Can you imagine what the league would have said about that tomorrow if Calgary had come back?

I mean if Briere can have a horrible playoffs leading the Sabres in scoring

I've always had a problem with this use of the term "scoring". To me, if you say "our leading scorer", that means the player that scored the most goals. You don't "score an assist", you "score a goal". I don't know what you could call the player with the most points (leading point getter?), but it shouldn't be "leading scorer". Just seems wrong.

Archived