Stanley Cup Playoffs Game Discussion Thread

Bmwolf21

WTF was Ovechkin doing looking for a pass there? He has owned Marty the last couple games - let 'er rip, Alex... :wallbash:

He had Federov WIDE open. All he had to do was put his stick down and tap it in. Marty came out about 40 feet.

He had Federov WIDE open. All he had to do was put his stick down and tap it in. Marty came out about 40 feet.

Everyone in that building was expecting Ovie to shoot that puck, including Fedorov. And even though everyone knew it was coming, he still would've scored. His job on the team is to be the most feared scorer in the league, not the prettiest passer. He's got to shoot that puck.

Federov was not WIDE open - there was a defenseman right on him. AO already blew one shot past him tonight, and I'd rather see my 60+ goal scorer fire the puck than try to finesse a pass through traffic.

Everyone in that building was expecting Ovie to shoot that puck, including Fedorov. And even though everyone knew it was coming, he still would've scored. His job on the team is to be the most feared scorer in the league, not the prettiest passer. He's got to shoot that puck.

Exactly.

Federov was not WIDE open - there was a defenseman right on him. AO already blew one shot past him tonight, and I'd rather see my 60+ goal scorer fire the puck than try to finesse a pass through traffic.

Exactly.

I was hoping he would shoot the puck too. Knocking the puck out of mid air and then firing the game winner in game 7? You bet I wanted to see it. I'm just saying you can't blame him for thinking he could get a goal by passing.

I was hoping he would shoot the puck too. Knocking the puck out of mid air and then firing the game winner in game 7? You bet I wanted to see it. I'm just saying you can't blame him for thinking he could get a goal by passing.

Agree about wanting to see him shoot the puck there. I just don't like to see guys get "cute" in crunch time - it's no accident he had ~20 more goals than assists this year - just go bombs away and make Marty stop you.

Agree about wanting to see him shoot the puck there. I just don't like to see guys get "cute" in crunch time - it's no accident he had ~20 more goals than assists this year - just go bombs away and make Marty stop you.

Maybe he watched too many Sabres games this year? That's the classic Sabres play. The extra pass, whether you need it or not.

...at least Briere didn't get the winner... :death:

Given the location of where it was scored, I thought it was him at first...

Go figure, if they'd called a penalty in the third, it might not have gone to OT...

Given the location of where it was scored, I thought it was him at first...

Go figure, if they'd called a penalty in the third, it might not have gone to OT...

And thus, the major flaw in the "refs don't want to decide the game with a penalty call" logic is exposed yet again.

That's so depressing. Frankly, I don't have a problem calling the penalty because frankly, they really blew it by not calling the Erskine penalty. But, the game should never have even gone to OT as Kapanen's goal was absolutely BS. Well, this is pretty disappointing. I really was pulling for the Caps. They were really exciting. The Caps are going to be like the 2006-2007 Sabres next year. If they re-sign Federov and Huet, you're looking at the same 6 defenseman and they get their captain Chris Clark back healthy and Michael Nylander healthy. So, now you're looking at your top 2 lines as:

Ovechkin-Federov-Kozlov

Backstrom-Nylander-Semin

That's some major talent on the top 6. Oh well, let's see if the Sharks win tonight. Don't care much about the game, but I'd like to see Campbell, Thornton, and Marleau have big games instead of disappear under pressure which has been their MO throughout their careers.

i would have liked to have seen the Caps move on, and I hate the Flyers, but that said I am really happy for Biron. The Flyers aren't going anywhere so again, i'm pretty happy for marty to be moving on and for being a big part of it tonight..

That's so depressing. Frankly, I don't have a problem calling the penalty because frankly, they really blew it by not calling the Erskine penalty. But, the game should never have even gone to OT as Kapanen's goal was absolutely BS. Well, this is pretty disappointing. I really was pulling for the Caps. They were really exciting. The Caps are going to be like the 2006-2007 Sabres next year. If they re-sign Federov and Huet, you're looking at the same 6 defenseman and they get their captain Chris Clark back healthy and Michael Nylander healthy. So, now you're looking at your top 2 lines as:

Ovechkin-Federov-Kozlov

Backstrom-Nylander-Semin

That's some major talent on the top 6. Oh well, let's see if the Sharks win tonight. Don't care much about the game, but I'd like to see Campbell, Thornton, and Marleau have big games instead of disappear under pressure which has been their MO throughout their careers.

was the erkine penalty where he pushed the Caps D-man in to Huet and thereby left the net open for one of philly's goals? if so, i agree with you a 100%...forget all the ill-timed BS hooking calls for a moment, etc. where this league really seems to get it wrong is the goalie interference calls, or in this case the lack of call. it never seems to be the right call (usually b/c a d-man pushes a forward in to the goalie) and now in this case it is the opposite and they don't call it...ugh..

was the erkine penalty where he pushed the Caps D-man in to Huet and thereby left the net open for one of philly's goals? if so, i agree with you a 100%...forget all the ill-timed BS hooking calls for a moment, etc. where this league really seems to get it wrong is the goalie interference calls, or in this case the lack of call. it never seems to be the right call (usually b/c a d-man pushes a forward in to the goalie) and now in this case it is the opposite and they don't call it...ugh..

Sorry, I think I was unclear. Two separate incidents. The first was Patrick Thoresen of the Flyers who should have been called for goalie interference on Sami Kapanen's goal. That was absolutely B.S. No, the John Erskine one was in overtime. I didn't have a problem with calling the tripping penalty on Poti because just a few minutes earlier, John Erskine of the Caps got away with a trip on Sami Kapanen and the refs did not call it. I think the Poti one may have been a make up call, but given that the Flyers scored an illegitmate goal, the only way to make the game even was to give the Caps a make up goal, but that's my opinion.

Archived