PLAYOFF SCENARIO

eball

I'm not that bright either, but here's how I figure it after Wednesday night's games:

Sabres must win MTL game tonight (regulation or OT, doesn't matter) and BOS game (in regulation) to finish with 92 pts, and must have TWO of the following THREE things also occur:

WAS (90) earns no more than one point in two remaining games (VERY unlikely);

BOS (92) loses in regulation to OTT on Friday night and to BUF in regulation on Saturday; and

PHI (91) loses to NJ on Friday and PIT on Sunday (one of two losses must be in regulation).

If ALL THREE occur, BUF has 92, BOS has 92, PHI has 91 or 92 and WAS has 90 or 91. Sabres actually get the #7 seed.

If the most likely scenario occurs (BOS and PHI lose), WAS has 92+, BUF has 92, BOS has 92, and PHI 91. WAS #7, BUF #8 (tiebreaker over BOS and PHI in pts between teams -- they'd have same # of wins).

Anyone think it works out differently?

I can't see this team winning the next two, other than that I agree that PHI stand a good chance of losing both their games.

That isn't the point of the thread -- just setting out what needs to happen. Thanks for your optimism, though!

You are missing an element- you forgot about Carolina in all of this. Washington could still win their division.

CAR/WAS 92+ would be correct, CAR #7 if they lose out and WAS gets 3 points, meaning WAS ends up

with more points (93). CAR wins the tiebreaker over every other 92 point team because of their 43 wins.

That isn't the point of the thread -- just setting out what needs to happen. Thanks for your optimism, though!

That looks right to me E. Agree the most likely( that being a relative term) way to get in is Phi_Bos both spiittin the bit. One thing i like yesetrday was the intemsity of the Quins_Flyers game. They went after Sid pretty hard, maybe Pit would like nothing better than to keep Philly out on Sunday. We will see

I am hoping Pittsburgh and Jersey play their starters for their remaining games, when they play against Philadelphia and Boston. Jersey is only 3 points behind Montreal, and if Buffalo does what must happen for them to get in, Montreal stands still, and that gives Jersey a chance to pass Montreal.

However, if Buffalo beats Montreal, Pittsburgh has the top seed locked up. Do you think that is enough to warrant Pittsburgh players taking the Philadelphia game off? I hope not, because that Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh game is crucial for Buffalo's chances.

(I know... all this is based on Buffalo winning against Montreal and Boston, so a$$holes, please keep your pessimistic comments to yourself.)

However, if Buffalo beats Montreal, Pittsburgh has the top seed locked up. Do you think that is enough to warrant Pittsburgh players taking the Philadelphia game off? I hope not, because that Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh game is crucial for Buffalo's chances.

(

Like i said uptop, that game last night was pretty nasty. Flyers took several shots at Sid. I think Penguins might just want to do nothing more than keep the Flers out of the playoffs Substitute the Sabres for the Quins, and Leafs/Sens for Philly. Do you think we would rest the starters?

I am hoping Pittsburgh and Jersey play their starters for their remaining games, when they play against Philadelphia and Boston. Jersey is only 3 points behind Montreal, and if Buffalo does what must happen for them to get in, Montreal stands still, and that gives Jersey a chance to pass Montreal.

(I know... all this is based on Buffalo winning against Montreal and Boston, so a$$holes, please keep your pessimistic comments to yourself.)

It probably will be, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a loss. Example: Bills vs. Steelers, final game of 2004 season. If you want an NHL example to be convinced, just look at how often our Rochester call-ups have outperformed the supposed starters (like Sekera and Weber and MacArthur vs. Kalinin and Max).

You asked "Anyone think it works out differently?"

Sorry if my opinion isn't to your liking, but next time don't ask if you don't want opinions.

You asked "Anyone think it works out differently?"

Sorry if my opinion isn't to your liking, but next time don't ask if you don't want opinions.

If you're so obtuse you couldn't figure out I was asking for feedback on the scenarios and not soliticiting "do you think this will happen?" opinions, that's your problem. I'm just trying to keep the thread clean and on point.

You are missing an element- you forgot about Carolina in all of this. Washington could still win their division.

CAR/WAS 92+ would be correct, CAR #7 if they lose out and WAS gets 3 points, meaning WAS ends up

with more points (93). CAR wins the tiebreaker over every other 92 point team because of their 43 wins.

I didn't include Carolina because they're pretty much a lock to get in at this point, and the Sabres can't win any tiebreakers with them because of # of wins.

Outside of playing your back-up goalie and maybe resting Sid, how do you not play your team? It isn't like football where you have a second string. There are only so many minutes a player can play before he needs a rest. So maybe you give the 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines more shifts, but everyone plays.

Just wondering, but since Ottawa has 92 can we overtake them if they lose their last 2 games? Does anyone know this? How funny would it be if they missed the playoffs.

Never mind they have 4 more wins at this point. That woulda been sweet to have another avenue in.

Never mind they have 4 more wins at this point. That woulda been sweet to have another avenue in.

Unfortunately that is precisely what could cause our undoing- Ottawa PLAYS Boston, and the way they have

backed into the playoffs has been frustrating to me, and it may cause us to lose out on a spot. Even in

near playoff death Ottawa plays a part...!

Let's win tonight. Period. We can watch the Washington game out of the corner of our eye, but we need to win to stay in the fight. Ask me again tomorrow about how I think the Boston and Flyers games will go, but tonight I am worried about one thing only: Montreal. Get 'er done! My recent battle cry: Make the other teams knock you out; don't do it for them!

EII: we have the tie-breaker against Boston and Philly, but not Washington or Carolina.

What happens if BFLO and BOS both have 92 points and 40 wins? Who wins tiebreaker?

??

Answered in my original post. Sabres have tiebreaker b/c they'd have more points in games between the two teams.

If you're so obtuse you couldn't figure out I was asking for feedback on the scenarios and not soliticiting "do you think this will happen?" opinions, that's your problem. I'm just trying to keep the thread clean and on point.

Then you could've pointed that out in a civil manner.

All I did was state that I did not agree that the Sabres would win two, however I could easily see PHI dropping two.

You then proceeded to be sarcastic and thank me for my "optimism".

Well gee jolly wiz, sorry for not sharing your optimism, but I just don't see anything to be very optimistic about, given our current situation.

Here's a crazy thought though - Why don't we just watch the remaining two games, and then see where the chips fall? Would save us all some time.

Let's win tonight. Period. We can watch the Washington game out of the corner of our eye, but we need to win to stay in the fight. Ask me again tomorrow about how I think the Boston and Flyers games will go, but tonight I am worried about one thing only: Montreal. Get 'er done! My recent battle cry: Make the other teams knock you out; don't do it for them!

EII: we have the tie-breaker against Boston and Philly, but not Washington or Carolina.

Why not WAS... Aren't we 3-1-0 against WAS and I think 2-2 against CAR, so I can see them not getting the TB against CAR??

Why not WAS... Aren't we 3-1-0 against WAS and I think 2-2 against CAR, so I can see them not getting the TB against CAR??

The first tie breaker is wins. Washington and Carolina are already guaranteed of finished the year with more wins than us.

Archived