No word on Laraque yet?

Claude Balls

Peters gets a 1 game suspension, for a petty facewash to the the Rangers tough guy, less than 24 hours after the game. Now Laraque could have possibly ended a players career with a vicious elbow to Paestch's jaw, lays him out cold and motionless on the ice for 5 minutes. Nearly 24 hours later and still no word on a suspension? WTF kinda garbage is this.

I hope I didn't miss something somewhere, but I haven't seen any word on this yet.

Peters gets a 1 game suspension, for a petty facewash to the the Rangers tough guy, less than 24 hours after the game. Now Laraque could have possibly ended a players career with a vicious elbow to Paestch's jaw, lays him out cold and motionless on the ice for 5 minutes. Nearly 24 hours later and still no word on a suspension? WTF kinda garbage is this.

I hope I didn't miss something somewhere, but I haven't seen any word on this yet.

They should wait to see the extent of the damage.

I saw the Penguins broadcast on Center ICE. Did the Buffalo broadcast have any shot of Paetsch as he went down? It looked like he wasn't really hit that hard, but I was wondering if the concussion was caused by his head hitting the ice, or the hit itself.

Incidently, the Penguins broadcasters (I think they are amongst the worst in the leauge) marvelled, in the third period that Paille was able to come back from being "face down on the ice for 5 minutes after that violent hit" to scoring two goals in the third...is it that difficult to get some people to do their jobs? Amazingly, his partner didn't correct him...

guys like laraque, neil, and maybe avery to a certain extent....why doesn't the NHL just ban these goons for life....they obviously arent doing the league any good. Speed...no. skill...no. intensity....not really. Cheap shots are not intensity.

Peters could be added to the lets ban 'em for life NHL'ers.

I appreciate players such as the kaletas who hit with a certain qualification to get him into the nhl...speed, hard clean checker.

Guys like laraque, peters and neil, I'm sure there are a few others but it really wouldn't disappoint me as a fan AT ALL if they would be banned from the league. Just my two cents.

Seems pretty weak to me.

Especially seeing how Peters got 1 game for basically shoving Orr from the bench. Peters should have smashed his head into the top of the boards, he might have only gotten 2 games then. If you ask me, it was just as vicious or dirty as Simons foot stomp that got him what, 17 games? The NHL never ceases to amaze me with their suspension policy.

I saw the Penguins broadcast on Center ICE. Did the Buffalo broadcast have any shot of Paetsch as he went down? It looked like he wasn't really hit that hard, but I was wondering if the concussion was caused by his head hitting the ice, or the hit itself.

Incidently, the Penguins broadcasters (I think they are amongst the worst in the leauge) marvelled, in the third period that Paille was able to come back from being "face down on the ice for 5 minutes after that violent hit" to scoring two goals in the third...is it that difficult to get some people to do their jobs? Amazingly, his partner didn't correct him...

Later in the game, Bob Errey, who was at ice level and was the one making the error, did correct himself, but it was too late at that point.

Seems pretty weak to me.

Bob McKenzie agrees with us:

And while we're at it, am I the only one who thinks three games for scrambling a player's brains is a little on the light side?

Apparently so.

Amid the great hue and cry from the hockey public over Pronger-Kesler, little if nothing is said about the three-game sentences handed down to Dallas's Steve Ott for his high head hit on Colorado's Jordan Leopold or the flagrant elbow by Pittsburgh's Georges Laraques that knocked out Buffalo's Nathan Paetsch.

Of the two, Ott's was probably a little more ?acceptable? if one can use that term in this circumstance. He was delivering a hit on the boards on a player with the puck. We'll call that a hockey hit gone wrong.

But Laraque's hit, not so much.

It was late. It was an elbow. It was a head shot. It caused significant damage to Paetsch. It was wholly unnecessary and met virtually all the criteria the league trotted out at the beginning of the season when it said it was going to be more vigilant on flagrant head shots.

Three games is what I would describe as a suspension for garden-variety discretions. Laraque on Paetsch wasn't garden variety. Or shouldn't be.

The guys who suffer the brain trauma, in most cases, would gladly take a three-game absence but the truth is a concussion often lasts long much longer than three games and also provides the spectre of many future problems and re-occurrences.

It's not enough.

Archived