For those who kept saying

Eric in Akron

I usually don't sound off but I gotta get some things off my chest.

Don't look now but the Devils are 1 point behind. Yes, we have a game at hand but once upon a time the Sabres had a 11 point lead in the east. This team has been playoff material but not championship material since the end of December.

Problems that have been consistent since that time...

We wait about a 1/2 second too late to make a pass because we try to pass through opposing players skates way too much. We have been trying to pass through people that are right in front of us. It is not all the time but it happens enough to bug the crap out of me.

Last year, Campbell had one heck of a cannon on the power plays. This year I've only seen him wind up a couple times. Is something going on there that no one in organization wants to talk about?

Earlier in the year, we played great hockey for about 10-15 minutes in a game and it was enough to win. Now, we are lucky to see shades of that team for 5 minutes. This team hasn't worked very hard consistently. Very lazy play right now.

Enough with these wrap around attempts! I'd like to know just how many times we've attempted it and how many times it was successful. If the pass to the front isn't there then skate out with it, let someone else shuffle back and look to pass back behind or take a screened shot. Geezzz...

What is up with this team going down a wing looking to pass? Tonight Zubrus scores just throwing the puck on the net, rather than looking to pass. This usually is the time that the pass goes of a skate. See above.

Ok, I'm done. Anybody who has gotten through my rant - thanks for listening.

Eric

I usually don't sound off but I gotta get some things off my chest.

Don't look now but the Devils are 1 point behind. Yes, we have a game at hand but once upon a time the Sabres had a 11 point lead in the east. This team has been playoff material but not championship material since the end of December.

Problems that have been consistent since that time...

We wait about a 1/2 second too late to make a pass because we try to pass through opposing players skates way too much. We have been trying to pass through people that are right in front of us. It is not all the time but it happens enough to bug the crap out of me.

Last year, Campbell had one heck of a cannon on the power plays. This year I've only seen him wind up a couple times. Is something going on there that no one in organization wants to talk about?

Earlier in the year, we played great hockey for about 10-15 minutes in a game and it was enough to win. Now, we are lucky to see shades of that team for 5 minutes. This team hasn't worked very hard consistently. Very lazy play right now.

Enough with these wrap around attempts! I'd like to know just how many times we've attempted it and how many times it was successful. If the pass to the front isn't there then skate out with it, let someone else shuffle back and look to pass back behind or take a screened shot. Geezzz...

What is up with this team going down a wing looking to pass? Tonight Zubrus scores just throwing the puck on the net, rather than looking to pass. This usually is the time that the pass goes of a skate. See above.

Ok, I'm done. Anybody who has gotten through my rant - thanks for listening.

Eric

Not a bad rant.... Nobody has been sharp on this team

The Sabres look awful slow on the forecheck, too. Watch how our guys just coast towards the player with the puck, and the other team's forecheckers skate hard, all the way in. It makes a big difference. The only guy skating hard the whole way tonight was Ryan.

For those who kept saying... You say? :D

Well they're still in first place, just not in the league... :nana: :nana:

And still have a game-in-hand... :nana: :nana:

True the blew their "safety cushion", but who really cares... :nana: :nana:

For those who kept saying... You say? :D

Well they're still in first place, just not in the league... :nana: :nana:

And still have a game-in-hand... :nana: :nana:

True the blew their "safety cushion", but who really cares... :nana: :nana:

Nice :D Well, at least that put a smile on my face.

They've looked bad for a few reasons. For me, the biggest problem I'm seeing, which has been somewhat consistent, I guess since December, has been the Special Teams have been horrible. Last week, the scraped by Montreal, but gave up 3 power play goals in the game. Additionally, the power play has been horrendous. I think that is partially due to injuries at forward, specifically Max and Kotalik. But, they have been horrible on the PP. In addition to their woes scoring on the power play, they are playing awful defense on the power play and have given up a shorthanded goal in 3 straight games. This has got to stop. I'm glad Zubbie got on the board, but they cannot continue to play this poorly and expect to make a deep run into the playoffs. They had a terrible January, with most everyone healthy. They played well in February even though they suffered a tremendous amount of injuries. They've played awful this week with 3 straight regulation losses. I think they are getting healthier, but they need to start playing better. Hopefully, they'll play well next week in Pittsburgh.

They've looked bad for a few reasons. For me, the biggest problem I'm seeing, which has been somewhat consistent, I guess since December, has been the Special Teams have been horrible. Last week, the scraped by Montreal, but gave up 3 power play goals in the game. Additionally, the power play has been horrendous. I think that is partially due to injuries at forward, specifically Max and Kotalik. But, they have been horrible on the PP. In addition to their woes scoring on the power play, they are playing awful defense on the power play and have given up a shorthanded goal in 3 straight games. This has got to stop. I'm glad Zubbie got on the board, but they cannot continue to play this poorly and expect to make a deep run into the playoffs. They had a terrible January, with most everyone healthy. They played well in February even though they suffered a tremendous amount of injuries. They've played awful this week with 3 straight regulation losses. I think they are getting healthier, but they need to start playing better. Hopefully, they'll play well next week in Pittsburgh.

Why can't they?

They lost 8 of 9 at this time last season...

:nana:

Lackadaisical is how I would describe the last few games. The urgency or effort just isnt there. NJ and MN wanted it more, and that was very clear on the ice, and in the outcomes.

And there is NO urgency!... The only urgency is to get through the last 14 games as fast as they can with hopefully NOT a losing record in that stretch and into the playoffs... Where ONE team ONE goal can resume...

This part of the season is doing nothing for me... Sure Prez trophy is nice, home ice is nice... Does it matter to this team? IMO, no... To me personally, yes...

Not because BFLO lost its stranglehold on the inside track to the prez trophy... I get the vibe that the cycle of prez trophy winners winning it all this year will be broken... Look back at past prez winners... The cycle indicates they may win this year... I just get the strange vibe that the top seeds will once again get ousted...

If you ask me we're finally looking like a team with a bunch of AHL players in the lineup. I think we'll be fine, especially once we start getting healthy. We're just getting the usual "Forget it, this team sucks" rants when we drop some games.

I didn't look. I don't care.

My point being that people didn't want to accept the fact that this team has some underlying issues that have yet to be addressed, because they would say this team is alright they're still in first.

I'm just hoping to God that this team gets itself back on track and doesn't spiral from a great team to an early playoff exit team - see Ottawa. ;)

Eric

I'm just hoping to God that this team gets itself back on track and doesn't spiral from a great team to an early playoff exit team - see Ottawa. ;)

Eric

First off that thats isn't going to happen and secondly two words Lindy Ruff............. :beer:

I was sitting ice level for last night's game on the visitor's end, and it was clear to me that this team lacks the grit to consistently maintain a successful forecheck to generate chances. Sure there's Peters, but what good did he really do last night. In the 7 games Kaleta has played he has 2 assists and 19 hits and flies around with reckless abandoned. I know he's a rookie, but they need some energy...

I'll go way out on a limb here and predict that the Sabres will rattle off several wins in a row on this road trip. And that includes a win at those pesky Panthers.

Sabres used the Drury hit to play inspired and cover for the injuries. Teams can only sustain that kind of energy for so long. The emotion of that event is past and the pasting of the last week is present.

Now they have some motivation back. I look for a gritty effort from them against the Penguins. Add to that a few more starters back (hopefully). What'a the antidote to Avs, Wild and Devils? I say it is Penguins, Panthers and Lightning.

Archived