It is NOT Miller time.....

navybillsfan

The problem here, BM, is that you can't say Miller fits the Sabres' style of play, then blame the style of play when Miller falters. Miller is the big save goalie who saves the team's bacon. You want to play four or five forwards on the PP? You better get a big shorthanded save on Rafalski. We didn't get it.

PA, all I can say in regards to your style of play comment is that if you throw enough crap at the wall, some is going to stick. Go to the well enough times, and it will eventually come up dry. Is that enough cliches/metaphors, or do you want more? ;)

Realistically speaking, all goalies let in bad goals, especially young goalies who play in up-tempo, attacking systems that leave them on an island. I think Ryan makes enough big saves at clutch times to give Lindy and the Sabres confidence that they can play their system without having to cover for him. Does that mean that he is absolved for letting in bad goals? No, of course not. But Ryan is still stopping around 91% of the shots he faces (on the year) so he is doing pretty well holding the fort.

My main points are that:

a) while he has let in bad goals this year, and has admittedly struggled with his consistency, it hasn't been as bad as some of the Chicken Littles make it out to be;

b) having confidence that Ryan can make the big saves (like tonight's GW SHG) doesn't give the Sabres skaters free license to cherrypick at the line, not play defense and get back whenever they damn well feel like it; and

c) #%^$#! happens sometimes - deflections, screenshots, misplayed pucks - all happen to even elite goaltenders. Lindy and Corsi have worked with Ryan to improve his focus and improve how he handles adversity, and they'll have to continue working with him on that.

FWIW, there were only three forwards on the ice for the SHG - Drury, Hecht and Briere - Campbell had rotated down low, which left Paetsch and Briere at the point. Seems to me that Hecht, Drury or Campbell - all pretty fast skaters - could have stayed even with Rafalski (who also came all the way from the front of his net) and negated the scoring op just as easily. But that has been the Sabres' calling card the last few games - one stupid mistake here or there, or someone with a bad effort costs the team a goal.

Again, Ryan is a good young goalie who is still learning how to be a franchise goalie, but he was OK down the stretch and in the playoffs last year, and since I don't think there is anything fundamentally worse about him this year, I believe he'll snap out of the funk, right the ship and start backstopping this team with a purpose. Maybe he just needs Lindy to push one of his buttons to help him improve his focus and intensity...

PA, all I can say in regards to your style of play comment is that if you throw enough crap at the wall, some is going to stick. Go to the well enough times, and it will eventually come up dry. Is that enough cliches/metaphors, or do you want more? ;)

Realistically speaking, all goalies let in bad goals, especially young goalies who play in up-tempo, attacking systems that leave them on an island. I think Ryan makes enough big saves at clutch times to give Lindy and the Sabres confidence that they can play their system without having to cover for him. Does that mean that he is absolved for letting in bad goals? No, of course not. But Ryan is still stopping around 91% of the shots he faces (on the year) so he is doing pretty well holding the fort.

My main points are that:

a) while he has let in bad goals this year, and has admittedly struggled with his consistency, it hasn't been as bad as some of the Chicken Littles make it out to be;

b) having confidence that Ryan can make the big saves (like tonight's GW SHG) doesn't give the Sabres skaters free license to cherrypick at the line, not play defense and get back whenever they damn well feel like it; and

c) #%^$#! happens sometimes - deflections, screenshots, misplayed pucks - all happen to even elite goaltenders. Lindy and Corsi have worked with Ryan to improve his focus and improve how he handles adversity, and they'll have to continue working with him on that.

FWIW, there were only three forwards on the ice for the SHG - Drury, Hecht and Briere - Campbell had rotated down low, which left Paetsch and Briere at the point. Seems to me that Hecht, Drury or Campbell - all pretty fast skaters - could have stayed even with Rafalski (who also came all the way from the front of his net) and negated the scoring op just as easily. But that has been the Sabres' calling card the last few games - one stupid mistake here or there, or someone with a bad effort costs the team a goal.

Again, Ryan is a good young goalie who is still learning how to be a franchise goalie, but he was OK down the stretch and in the playoffs last year, and since I don't think there is anything fundamentally worse about him this year, I believe he'll snap out of the funk, right the ship and start backstopping this team with a purpose. Maybe he just needs Lindy to push one of his buttons to help him improve his focus and intensity...

I couldn't agree more Bmwolf21!

So what your saying is we should base Miller off of last year? Go check out New Jersey and their Net God who produces every game, every year... Like tonight.....

Miller is not prime time nor is this D, and that will be the difference this April when we are golfing in the second round

You're right we should completely ignore last year. In fact, let's pretend he's a completely different person. Why do we keep stats anyways?

Are you referring to the net god who sees about 3 quality scoring chances a game? The same net god who never sees a scorer wide open in the slot?

You're right we should completely ignore last year. In fact, let's pretend he's a completely different person. Why do we keep stats anyways?

Are you referring to the net god who sees about 3 quality scoring chances a game? The same net god who never sees a scorer wide open in the slot?

Sure am...... Same team that beat us last night and is only one point behind us....

The point being, while he's a great goalie, a lot of credit needs to be given to the style of play in front of him...We all saw at the All-Star game what happens when he plays without that system.

Come on! You're citing the All Star Game!?

Come on! You're citing the All Star Game!?

If we had more evidence of Brodeur playing without that system I would use it....

It's a shame really. There are 2 ways going about having a good goalie. The Sabres system and the Devils system...I prefer our system a lot more. Not because of the fact that I'm a Sabres fan, but could you imagine having to watch games like the one last night 82 times a year?

If we had more evidence of Brodeur playing without that system I would use it....

It's a shame really. There are 2 ways going about having a good goalie. The Sabres system and the Devils system...I prefer our system a lot more. Not because of the fact that I'm a Sabres fan, but could you imagine having to watch games like the one last night 82 times a year?

No. But then again, I don't think there are many Dev's fans that watch 82 games either! ;)

No. But then again, I don't think there are many Dev's fans that watch 82 games either! ;)

Funny, they interviewed Doc Emerick last night between intermissions, and Roby asked him how they could better market the game. Doc says: "I don't know" while everyone was thinking that this is a guy that gets to watch the Trap every other night.

You have to admit that they have a wicked counter-attack though.

So what your saying is we should base Miller off of last year? Go check out New Jersey and their Net God who produces every game, every year... Like tonight.....

Miller is not prime time nor is this D, and that will be the difference this April when we are golfing in the second round

The net god gave up 4 goals on 12 shots today and got pulled.

Archived