Playoff Spot Clinch (Magic Number)

EdwardSauve

Buffalo clinches in any combination of 8 Points for Carolina, (Currently #8).

For the division, any combination of 20 points for Ottawa.

That means a Buffalo win = 2 points and an Ottawa or Carolina loss = 2 points.

Is that correct?

No, it's 11. You have to look past Carolina to Boston. They have more games remaining. Boston can get to 103 points. So Buffalo with 11 gets them in. No ties are considered. Technically, 103 might be enough, but 104 is clear cut.

8 & 20 would provide a tie for each. So if you want to get picky go to the tie breaker to see if that would cut it, otherwise 9 & 21.

As for looking by Carolina...good point. I just assumed they would split the 2 game difference and it would all be the same, but that doesn't really cinch it now does it. Good catch.

All the numbers are before tonight's games:

Playoffs: 11

Division: 21

Conference: 27

Presidents Trophy: 31

I found this at another board.

Magic Numbers

Cool... Glad to see my calculations matched...

Taking it one step further. A great night for the idle Buffalo would be wins by: AVs (over Boston); Philly (over NJ); Pitt (over Ottawa) and Detroit (over Nashville). That would reduce all numbers by 2.

there is something i am sure that is too complicated for one to figure out at least, but none of these projections take into account scheduling. Say boston plays 2 games against carolina, then we are assuming carolina will drop those two games to boston, etc. and then you cross back and forth for each of those teams and it creates a number that is different because then boston would leapfrog them in the standings, etc. making the number actually less

These all assume that the losses of those teams occur in regulation, an SL gives them one point.

Actually, it assumes they get 2 points. If they get zero, the number is reduced by 2, if they get 1, it is reduced by 1. If they get 2, the number isn't reduced.

After last night's games they now are:

Playoffs: 11 (no change even though Boston lost, NYR and Leafs still at 103 Max Pts)

Division: 20

Conference: 26

President's Trophy: 30

Archived