What's the second biggest story of the season.

deluca67

Given that the Sabres would be number one on everyones list as the story of the 2005-06 NHL season. What would be #2?

The Rangers, Predators and Carolina are all big stories. The very talented rookie class of scorers is big to.

My vote would go to the great young goalies that have surfaced. Bufflao, Philly and the Rangers have all been boosted by great young goalies. Where would Atlanta be if Kari Lehtonen could stay healthy. Tim Thomas may be a 31 year old rookie but he is giving the Bruins hope.

With all the rule changes to increase scoring I am suprised that the goaltending has stood up so well.

Given that the Sabres would be number one on everyones list as the story of the 2005-06 NHL season. What would be #2?

The Rangers, Predators and Carolina are all big stories. The very talented rookie class of scorers is big to.

My vote would go to the great young goalies that have surfaced. Bufflao, Philly and the Rangers have all been boosted by great young goalies. Where would Atlanta be if Kari Lehtonen could stay healthy. Tim Thomas may be a 31 year old rookie but he is giving the Bruins hope.

With all the rule changes to increase scoring I am suprised that the goaltending has stood up so well.

Some possibilities...

-Ovechkin having an unbelievable season on a terrible team.

-The fans coming back and supporting the NHL like it was never gone.

-The refs sticking to their guns and calling penalties(Even though it can be very inconsistent from game to game).

-The Penguins spending all kind of money to make a run at the playoffs and instead falling flat on their face...and still no commitment to a new arena.

-Andrew Peters still on an NHL roster. :lol:

Story #256: Tim Thomas has a stupid helmet.

haha agreed... but really i do think the development of the young rookie class has to be a pretty big story... espcially ovechkin... the guy seems unstoppable...he can find multiple ways to make an a*s out of defenseman.

I can't agree that Philly has good young goalies. Both Esche and Nittimaki have been ordinary far too often. I could add Carolina and LA to the list of teams that have had superior goaltending from "youngsters" though. (While Gerber isn't "young", he is relatively inexperienced at the NHL level and Ward is definitely young.)

I can't agree that Philly has good young goalies. Both Esche and Nittimaki have been ordinary far too often. I could add Carolina and LA to the list of teams that have had superior goaltending from "youngsters" though. (While Gerber isn't "young", he is relatively inexperienced at the NHL level and Ward is definitely young.)

Cam Ward is young, but I hope you're not saying that he has provided superior goaltending. 3.41, .889 is up there in Jose Theodore territory.

Cam Ward is young, but I hope you're not saying that he has provided superior goaltending. 3.41, .889 is up there in Jose Theodore territory.

Ward played very well during his 1st 5 starts and then basically stunk for a bit more than a month. Since not getting any starts for almost 4 weeks, he has returned to early season form (albeit against weaker clubs for the most part). Since 12/28 he is 5-1-1 with a 2.45 GAA and a 0.923 S%. (Since 1/1 he is 5-1-0 with a 2.17 GAA and 0.930 S%.)

When you look at Gerber and Ward as a tandem, I think it can be said that Carolina has gotten strong goaltending. I will agree with you that Ward has not provided "superior" goaltending in his own right. But for a 21 year old kid in his 1st NHL season, I think Carolina is for the most part happy with what he has done for them.

-The Penguins spending all kind of money to make a run at the playoffs and instead falling flat on their face...and still no commitment to a new arena.

i think that ranks number 1 for the funniest story this year... i love watching that team lose...

Yeah, he always seems to have an excuse as to why we are ranked where we are. It makes no sense sometimes. It's supposed to be an indication of who would win a best of 7 series on neutral ice....Take the Rangers for example. We are 2-0-1 against them this year, and would be 3-0 if Noronnen had not hurt his groin late in the game. Not to mention that they have really struggled to skate with us in all three games...

Your guess is as good as mine.

I read his email responses to some of the Buffalo criticism. I have no problem with the way he operates his poll (based on realism instead of streaks) but the fact that he had Colorado ranked ahead of the Sabres last week shows that he isn't consistant.

Yeah, these polls are meaningless. Yeah, it's hard to do a poll like that without angering SOME team's fans. No, I don't thik the Sabres should be number 1...

However, I do think that the Sabres have proven themselves to be an elite team. Maybe this guy is probably cluing into that.

Archived