Sheldon Souray on the block?

Claude Balls

no thanks..... guy is horrid on defense and he can only score with the man advantage.

Yeah, why would we want the 3rd highest scoring D-man in the league? 20g, 29a, 49pts. Who gives a crap if they come on the power play or not. His +/- sucks, but I'll take the pts anyday.

Yeah, why would we want the 3rd highest scoring D-man in the league? 20g, 29a, 49pts. Who gives a crap if they come on the power play or not. His +/- sucks, but I'll take the pts anyday.

He's a liability on 5v5... he's not a good skater and would look lost with our fast-paced team. The guy can't play defense one bit.... whens the last time we talked about a guy who was a scoring machine and couldn't play defense? Uhh.... oh yeah... Andy Delmore. Yeah, he lasted long here.

Montreal runs their PP directly thru Souray so he gets more chances, on a more level team, like Delmore when he came here, he wouldn't see the puck as much and wouldn't score, but still would be a liability on defense..... like i said, no thanks.

Comparing Delmore to Souray is assinine. How many games did Delmore play in the NHL. Not even close IMO. So Souray just plays the PP. He could take Peters useless spot on the bench. Christ, Souray even has more PIM than Peters. He would do nothing but improve this team, even if it is just on the PP. Check his stats if you need more proof.

QUOTE(Ogie Oglethorpe @ Feb 20 2007, 12:35 PM)

Jaroslav Spacek anyone?

The same Spacek who is a +18 this year? The guy personifies consistency.

My argument is based on his PP acumen. He was going to be the point man who tears it up. He gave us a taste early on and since has gone dormant.

He's been good, but nowhere near the expectations. I'm counting on a much higher level of play from him starting April 11.

Comparing Delmore to Souray is assinine. How many games did Delmore play in the NHL. Not even close IMO. So Souray just plays the PP. He could take Peters useless spot on the bench. Christ, Souray even has more PIM than Peters. He would do nothing but improve this team, even if it is just on the PP. Check his stats if you need more proof.

Delmore had 2 great scoring seasons with Nashville before he came to Buffalo, and Souray has only had 3 great scoring seasons? Whats the big deal?

And you obviously don't really understand how the system works. Montreal runs their entire PP through Souray since they have nobody good on offense, in Buffalo, we'd still run thru thru the wings and with Briere and Drury, and Souray wouldn't see the puck as much and wouldn't get as many shots. For all the good he'd go here, he'd cost us too much, like, in a tight playoff game where the score is 1-1 all the game, one little mistake by a poor defensive player, and that tight 1-1 game is now 1-2 and we're down 2 games to 1.

Delmore had 2 great scoring seasons with Nashville before he came to Buffalo, and Souray has only had 3 great scoring seasons? Whats the big deal?

And you obviously don't really understand how the system works. Montreal runs their entire PP through Souray since they have nobody good on offense, in Buffalo, we'd still run thru thru the wings and with Briere and Drury, and Souray wouldn't see the puck as much and wouldn't get as many shots. For all the good he'd go here, he'd cost us too much, like, in a tight playoff game where the score is 1-1 all the game, one little mistake by a poor defensive player, and that tight 1-1 game is now 1-2 and we're down 2 games to 1.

Good point. We all know Kalinin and Campbell never give the puck away at bad times. :doh:

Just think of how many more scoring chances off of rebounds guys like Briere, Drury and Vanek would have with Souray's big blast coming in from the point. Right now, the Sabres need someone to shoot the puck on net more during the PP. They still pass way too much. PP has been better, but every game you hear Lorentz getting pissed because the Sabres don't shoot the puck on net enough.

Good point. We all know Kalinin and Campbell never give the puck away at bad times. :doh:

Just think of how many more scoring chances off of rebounds guys like Briere, Drury and Vanek would have with Souray's big blast coming in from the point. Right now, the Sabres need someone to shoot the puck on net more during the PP. They still pass way too much. PP has been better, but every game you hear Lorentz getting pissed because the Sabres don't shoot the puck on net enough.

People said the same thing bout Delmore..... 7 points later........

If Delmore was any good, he would still be in the NHL. Delmore is also a career -36 in 283 NHL games, Souray is a -13 in 485 NHL games. You can have Delmore all day if you want.

I don't want either guy. +/- isn't that fair to judge though since Delmore played on a poor Nashville team and Souray played in the Devils defensive system.... with a great goalie behind him.

first of all, whoever said Souray can't skate, is obviously wrong. He's very neidermeierlike.

He'd only help this team, but there's little to no chance we'd actually get him.

Like I said, I see no way Montreal would send him here. They don't want to play against him. The only way it would happen is they get Marty (with Huet down), and this way Marty gets to go home to play, which he woud love to do. 1 in a million chance I think.

Why was this even brought up? no way this happens.. Its like being a GM 101, don't trade within your own division.. You propose trading marty for him? Um.. I don't know about you but I def. would not want to play against marty esp. if he gets hot. I don't even see Marty going there, even if it is home because he would be Huet's backup next year. Most likely, Souray if he is traded will be shipped out West to SJ for one of their goalies.

Well, some guy on Eklunds site just claimed he heard Souray to the Sabres, believe it or not, and asked for others to confirm. So far, people are laughing at him. But for the sake of laughs, Souray is a -14, but leads Montreal in scoring.

His points come mostly on the PP. I wouldn't mind seeing him here. He's got 14 goals on the PP alone, that offsets the -14. He wouldn't get as much 5 on 5 time with the Sabres. And, if he's on the PP, it doesn't matter if they don't run the PP thru him the same way the Habs do, the opponent still has to set up the PK in such a way that they respect his deadly shot which can allow for 4 on 3 down low.

Souray can work well here. He's a tough mutha too and a team guy (see Koivu retribution)

Biron for Souray? Within the division? Preposterous. But then again, it's not like it's never happened before.

Well, some guy on Eklunds site just claimed he heard Souray to the Sabres, believe it or not, and asked for others to confirm. So far, people are laughing at him. But for the sake of laughs, Souray is a -14, but leads Montreal in scoring.

His points come mostly on the PP. I wouldn't mind seeing him here. He's got 14 goals on the PP alone, that offsets the -14. He wouldn't get as much 5 on 5 time with the Sabres. And, if he's on the PP, it doesn't matter if they don't run the PP thru him the same way the Habs do, the opponent still has to set up the PK in such a way that they respect his deadly shot which can allow for 4 on 3 down low.

Souray can work well here. He's a tough mutha too and a team guy (see Koivu retribution)

Biron for Souray? Within the division? Preposterous. But then again, it's not like it's never happened before.

Thank you. It's unlikely to happen, but Souray would help this team alot more than most of what's out there.

He's a career -30 with Montreal, and a career +17 with the Devils.....

Maybe you haven't noticed, but Buffalo's a little better than Montreal and we have an excellent goalie as well. Souray would only improve this team along with his personal stats. He'd also be the toughest D-man we would have.

Archived