Mowers' break away goal?

Trey

Alright, someone that recorded the game needs to help me out.

1. Put it on mute, because the announcers in Boston are some of the worst in the league.

2. Now, FF to about 2 minutes left in the game and Mowers (I think it was him) had a shorthanded breakaway.

3. Ignore the save for a second and wait for the replay.

4. As Biron is laying in the net pause it and...

5. Look in his glove...is that the puck? :o

It sure looked like it, but I don't have the ability to rewind on this box. If it is, the puck was way across the goal line before the whistle blew.

Anyway, let me know what you see, I'm really curious to find out where the puck ended up after that opportunity.

Didn't see it... Listened to the game...

But, if the goalie catches and controls it (not sure what the time frame for "control" is?... 1-2 sec?) THEN goes into the net... Isn't it a SAVE?

Is that what happened?

I was always under the impression that unless the whistle has blown, it's a goal? Regardless how long he holds the puck?

This was discussed last night after the game. I don't have it recorded, but I don't think it ever was in his glove; it was in front of him.

That said..... I'd be interested in another look at the video to see what you guys are seeing.

EDIT: Looked at the video on NHL.com and my impressions are these:

1. If that *had* been the puck in his glove, why didn't Boston think a goal was scored?

2. If the puck was in his glove, why did Mowers jam at Biron's pads?

3. If it was in his glove, where did it go? It wasn't in there when he got up.

I think there is a dark patch in his glove and that is what you are seeing. I think Mowers tried to put the puck high but didn't get elevation and got it into Marty's pads. You're looking where Mowers tried to shoot, not where the puck actually went.

And with respect to the whistle blowing due to Biron touching the puck, the official blows the whistle upon *control* of the puck. If the puck went into Biron's glove and then he fell back into the net with it (in one motion), the official could reasonably make the call either way whether Biron had control, imo. (It's not just "touching" the puck... you've probably seen times when a goal was scored while a delayed penalty was pending because player tapped home a rebound after the initial save. If the official determines the goalie did not control the puck when making the save, it's still a live puck.)

1. Put it on mute, because the announcers in Boston are some of the worst in the league.

I did this EXACT same thing .. and I replayed it several times thinking it was in his glove also, but after a couple times I realized it wasn't ...

I watch all the games on Center Ice and this was the first time I ever got so sick of the homer announcers I had to mute it. After they cried about Max diving and then praised a Boston guy for embellishing to get a call, I was done.

Archived