Off Hockey: Canada's worst mass murderer

Rabbit151

I don't know if you Americans hear about any of this, but this clown from just outside Vancouver, Robert Pickton is now on trial for the murder of prostitutes, perhaps as many as 49.

Easily Canada's worst (or should I say best, since he wasn't caught until he committed 49 murders) serial killer.

canada.com has the trial details every day. It's pretty messed up stuff. They fear another guy may have been working the Edmonton area for quite some time too, but no one will admit it. They just caught a guy a couple of weeks ago though, he may have been the guy.

I know it's not hockey, but you may find it interesting. Canada is just the kind of wishy-washy, don't-offend-anyone kind of nation that the guy will probably go to jail for 5 years and be out again.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rabbit. I am looking forward to reading about it...

As for justice - I think it's hard to figure out what any court/jurisdiction is going to do. Look at the kid down in Georgia who got 10 years in prison on a felony conviction - all for getting a BJ from a girl who was 2 years younger than him. If he had actually had sex with her, it would have been a misdemeanor...

LINK

As for Canada - they did hit Paul Bernardo pretty hard...life in prison, and added the "Dangerous Offender" tag so he'd never see the lgiht of day. On the other hand they let Karla Homolka out after 12 years, (thanks to turning evidence and plea bargaining and whatnot) so....

Thanks for the heads-up, Rabbit. I am looking forward to reading about it...

As for justice - I think it's hard to figure out what any court/jurisdiction is going to do. Look at the kid down in Georgia who got 10 years in prison on a felony conviction - all for getting a BJ from a girl who was 2 years younger than him. If he had actually had sex with her, it would have been a misdemeanor...

LINK

As for Canada - they did hit Paul Bernardo pretty hard...life in prison, and added the "Dangerous Offender" tag so he'd never see the lgiht of day. On the other hand they let Karla Homolka out after 12 years, (thanks to turning evidence and plea bargaining and whatnot) so....

True, when it comes to situations like this, the guy will not see the light of day again. Of course he will have an apartment like cell where he will be living just like Bernardo and won't be sitting in a cold, dank, concrete cell with a toilet and bed like he should.

They say this guy was going for atleast 50. He was a pig farmer who killed prostitues and fed them to the pigs, they found parts in the freezer, and remains all over in with the pigs (like heads, torsos, hands, stumps, etc. He also claims he liked killing them by injecting them with washer fluid (or antifreeze, I can't remember)

I don't know, apus - there is a pretty good article (linked from Wikipedia) that says Bernardo is in solitary confinement, locked in a tiny cell that doesn't have much more than a bunk and toilet...

LINK

Maybe he got that because he is a sexual offender, and maybe the other guy (the mass murderer) will get nicer arrangements. But I am glad to know Bernardo doesn't seem to be enjoying his stay...

I don't know, apus - there is a pretty good article (linked from Wikipedia) that says Bernardo is in solitary confinement, locked in a tiny cell that doesn't have much more than a bunk and toilet...

LINK

Maybe he got that because he is a sexual offender, and maybe the other guy (the mass murderer) will get nicer arrangements. But I am glad to know Bernardo doesn't seem to be enjoying his stay...

I believe the Toronto Sun did a story a while ago on it and it is not a small concrete cell like everyone expects, he has a tv and some luxuries for an inmate.

But who knows, I could be wrong, I've never been there so I don't know.

After reading the article, I looks like I was wrong

What's stunning to me is the vehemence of Pickton's insistence that he's innocent. He's not coming off like OJ here; he seems like a man of conviction (no pun intended). With the huge hoard of circumstantial evidence against him, it seems to me that either Pickton is so mental that he can't believe he did it, or he's the victim of the best frame-up in human history. Or maybe he's just a great actor. I'm betting on the "mental" option.

Archived