This Day in Sabres History: January 20th

PASabreFan

January 20, 1995

In the first game of the lockout-shortened regular season, the Sabres defeat the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, 2-1. Buffalo overcomes a 45-minute pregame ceremony honoring the defending Stanley Cup champion Rangers, a 1-0 deficit and no Pat LaFontaine, who is still out of the lineup with a bum right knee, the same knee he injured in the 1993 playoffs and had anterior cruciate ligament surgery on in December 1993, which cost him the rest of the 1993-94 season. In a curious move, Grant Fuhr, not Dominik Hasek, is in goal -- and it's the last win Fuhr ever records as a Sabre.

January 20, 1995

In the first game of the lockout-shortened regular season, the Sabres defeat the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, 2-1. Buffalo overcomes a 45-minute pregame ceremony honoring the defending Stanley Cup champion Rangers, a 1-0 deficit and no Pat LaFontaine, who is still out of the lineup with a bum right knee, the same knee he injured in the 1993 playoffs and had anterior cruciate ligament surgery on in December 1993, which cost him the rest of the 1993-94 season. In a curious move, Grant Fuhr, not Dominik Hasek, is in goal -- and it's the last win Fuhr ever records as a Sabre.

Lafontaine was so good. For those readers too young to recall Lafontaine, think briere with 10x the vision and 10x the grit. Not diminishing Briere at all, but Lafontaine was THAT good.

And while we're on the subject of Patty... the sabres really screwed up there. He's out what? 2 years because of a friggin knee injury? Give me a break!

Lafontaine was so good. For those readers too young to recall Lafontaine, think briere with 10x the vision and 10x the grit. Not diminishing Briere at all, but Lafontaine was THAT good.

And while we're on the subject of Patty... the sabres really screwed up there. He's out what? 2 years because of a friggin knee injury? Give me a break!

Would you say LaFontain was just plain out faster than Brier? I think that is a big difference between the two. And I consider Brier quick and pretty damn fast, but LaFontaine could just fly.

LA LA LA LA Lafontaine!

Archived