Martin Brodeur's comments the other day

hopeleslyobvious

I can't find a news story with the quote, but basically Brodeur took exception to Ted Nolan calling their style boring by saying they're in the business of winning, etc.

I am bothered by this because sports is about winning, AND entertaining. The game won't survive if it's boring. No one is going to go watch your team if it's boring. The Devils don't have spectacular attendance this year. The fact that the team is happy sitting on a 1-0 or 2-1 lead for an entire game is not helping.

IMHO the Devils system is bad for the game. Sorry needed to rant about this, lol.

I saw somewhere that the league was considering an illegal defense penalty, similar to what the NBA has. I think it would be a great idea, especially if it helped do away with the trap forever...

While the Devils' system may be slowing the game, I think it'll only work as long as someone like Brodeur is in the net. And he can't have much longer being this good.

I disagree. Their system suffocates most teams and cuts down on quality scoring chances. Most good goalies could be successful in the system.

The Devils are killing the game. The game is about speed and finesse and skill and hitting. The Devils way is to bore you to death.

That is why the Brodeur being so good and being better than Miller arguments make me laugh. Yes Brodeur is good. But he has a team that sits back, takes no risks. Miller is on a high risk team and is doing just fine. Imagine any goalie in NJ (insert name) and their numbers will be fantastic.

I hate the Devils. I hate the Leafs. I hate them all, except the Canucks. God I hope the nucks don't beat us on Friday. I am rambling.

I can't find a news story with the quote, but basically Brodeur took exception to Ted Nolan calling their style boring by saying they're in the business of winning, etc.

I am bothered by this because sports is about winning, AND entertaining. The game won't survive if it's boring. No one is going to go watch your team if it's boring. The Devils don't have spectacular attendance this year. The fact that the team is happy sitting on a 1-0 or 2-1 lead for an entire game is not helping.

IMHO the Devils system is bad for the game. Sorry needed to rant about this, lol.

Most of us already knew this the minute they won the Cup in 1995. Where have you been? The trap is EXACTLY what killed hockey, and it's creeping back in to the game. FU Jacques Lemaire for winning with that GD Trap!!!!

Most of us already knew this the minute they won the Cup in 1995. Where have you been? The trap is EXACTLY what killed hockey, and it's creeping back in to the game. FU Jacques Lemaire for winning with that GD Trap!!!!

I was more talking about Brodeur's comments. I know the damage the trap has done to the game.

I was going to start a thread titled, "Disappearing Whistles" that got at the same thing. I see a lot more clutching grabbing etc. Not Pre-strike bad, but bad enough to be lethal for the Sabres chances at a Cup. So while the Sabres have to play better and get more loose pucks Darcy is fooling himself if he thinks this team is capable of being phyical enough to win 4 series this year.

Put me in the column that waiting for Connelly to come back is not reasonable strategy, but wishing on a star. Since Darcy, Larry and Tom were so well rewarded for their plan for building this roster (sp?) don't expect to Marty to geet traded.....Damn Stanley Cup Mirage

I'm not sure what the NHL can counter with in order to stop the "defense first" approach that some teams are taking. The posture of clogging up the neutral zone by not forechecking aggressively and then collapsing 4 or 5 players in front of the net is boring beyond belief. I really think the simplest solution is to make the nets bigger, but I know the traditionalists don't want that. The only way to draw teams out of this "defense first" mindset is to keep them out of the lead and bigger nets will make it more difficult to sit on the 1-0 or 2-1 lead in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

PS I thought the NHL was taking a stance on the size of goalie equipment, but some of these guys are looking like lacrosse goalies. Huet comes to mind as someone who looks like he weighs 300 pounds with equipment on.

I'm not sure what the NHL can counter with in order to stop the "defense first" approach that some teams are taking. The posture of clogging up the neutral zone by not forechecking aggressively and then collapsing 4 or 5 players in front of the net is boring beyond belief. I really think the simplest solution is to make the nets bigger, but I know the traditionalists don't want that. The only way to draw teams out of this "defense first" mindset is to keep them out of the lead and bigger nets will make it more difficult to sit on the 1-0 or 2-1 lead in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

PS I thought the NHL was taking a stance on the size of goalie equipment, but some of these guys are looking like lacrosse goalies. Huet comes to mind as someone who looks like he weighs 300 pounds with equipment on.

This situation is comparable to the NBA. Many teams are trying to develop a high octane run and gun team that can run by teams. The Sabres are the equivalent of the Phoenix Suns right now. We have extremely quick, agile, highly skilled players that are going to skate all over you. But there are teams like the Pistons and Spurs who play the half court, slow down game (not as much anymore, showing that they are changing their ways as well) Their goal is to force the other teams to play their half court game, at their pace. The Devils do this, they want us and everyone else to play their defensive game. I say if you are a Sabres fan do not worry. Just watch tape of our game against the Devils earlier this year. Yes they successfully made us play our game for about half of it. But we broke it open with relentless skating. They are going to start changing their philosophy, and it will happen when they don't win another stanley cup and brodeur is gone.

I am glad that someone brought up that the argument that Brodeur is better than Miller. It is obvious that Miller is the best goalie in the NHL, and will only get better. Like someone else said, look at the two styles. Brodeur gets to sit back and many scoring chances are denied by their defensive game strategy. Even though the Sabres are a great team, we probably give up as many quality scoring chances as the worst team in the league. On a bad night for the team, it is ridiculous how many quality scoring chances Miller has to shut down for us to still win. I guarentee that Brodeur would retire mid season if he was our starter because his GAA would be so high.

There is no argument: Ryan Miller is the BEST Goaltender in the NHL. This will be the case for probably the next 10 years if he can stay healthy and still has the drive. Heck, maybe 10 great years and 10 good years as Hasek is on pace to do. If ever there was a goalie to win the Vezina trophy with the 17th or whatever GAA in the league Miller has it should be him. People will laugh at this but put any goalie in the Sabres net night in and night out and see what happens. Also, put Miller in the Devils net and he could have the best NHL season a goaltender has ever had.

Archived