Who's The Top Team In The NHL?

bob_sauve28

Something like 30% of the past President's Trophy winners have ended up winning the Stanley Cup...a stat from which we can infer little, IMO.

The bottom line is that being the #1 overall is almost always a good thing, unless:

A. Your team is a collection of overconfident, primadonna choke artists (Sabres don't strike me as that kind of team)

B. The #8 seed happens to be your worst nightmare matchup (Ottawa?)

C. You suck playing at home (not a problem with our Sabres, although we do happen to be a slightly better away team than home*** team)

*** - edited for JujuFish

anybody know the statistics on the number 2 points team in the league winning the cup since everyone is preoccupied with the curse of the presidents trophy?

Between The Pipes did a great breakdown of the number of Cups won by each seed:

There's a flaw in this logic ... yeah, it's only 6 out of 19 (one year no Cup)... but there are 16 slots, and the #1 spot wins 30% of the time ... so that means the other 15 spots wins 70% of the time COMBINED ...

It's easy to say you want to be part of the 70%, but you only get to be one small part of that.

Because I am bored, I looked it up ... 6 out of 19 is the best ANY seed did ... here are the number of Cups won by other overall seeds since 1987:

2 - 1 Cup

3 - 4 Cups

4 - 2 Cups

5 - 2 Cups

6 - 2 Cups

7 - 1 Cup

8 - 0 Cups

9 - 1 Cup

10 or lower - 0 Cups

So ... You don't want to finish first overall? Pick another seed ... ANY other seed, and you are DECREASING you chances of winning it all by AT LEAST 50%, and that's for the 3 seed which has won 4 times. If you finish in ANY other spot, you are at least 3 times less likely to win.

The odds of winning it all are against you no matter what. Being the one team with a 30% chance in a 16-team field is pretty damn good.

Standings don't tell the whole story. They've played two more games then us and we scored 13 more goals then they have. And we could be looking for a big scoring night on Wednesday too.... lol

God I HOPE so 48!

I really don't mind the 'Hawks and Havalat is day to day with his groin siteeation... The Pred thumped the 'Hawks 8-3... And we thumped the Pred... I sure hope Denis Savard and the 'Hawks attempt to "run" with the Sabres... They are hurtin' a bit!

As a measure of insurance at the United Center, I think I am gonna let my son wear his Blackhawks hat... He'll have to throw his 8 year old body around to protect his old man when, as Carolina fans put it, "loud, crude, obnoxious BFLO fans" come a rootiin'! <_<

The Sabres tire cover is totally coming off when parked for that game... Maybe that "stealth" effect will get the Sabres to roll!

are chicago fans really that fearsome? i'd have thought they'd pretty much been lulled to sleep by their team's long record of mediocrity.

if anyone gives you any #%^$#!, just make'm flow backwards.

i'd love to be there too...but am just a LITTLE too far away for a mid-week trip to chicago. :(

Archived