Senators Game Last Night

EdwardSauve

I watched the Sens and Isles last night (only game on here in New York) and the announcers commented on how quiet the building was in Ottawa. They also said it is generally considered one of the quietest buildings in the entire league. You could actually hear the players talking to each other as well as individual people in the stands having conversations. There are 19,000 people in the joint and it was "pin-drop" quiet. Plus, they were winning. Why do you think that is? Are the fans nervous? Bored? Polite? Do they think they are in Continental Airlines Arena? Are they indifferent? I just found it to be odd. (Odd-awa.......I crack myself up).

Ed Sauve: My observations of Ottawa fans (and I haven't been to their building) make me think they're reserved folks who know and love their hockey, but who just don't get crazy about it. Think maybe of Dodgers fans as opposed to Cubs fans.

Havlat: Try watching a hockey game in Washington sometime. I swear, half the folks are fans of the opposing team, and the other half are wondering where the "ball" is.

XB: Ever been to a soccer game in London or Madrid? Or a football game in DC?

Never been to Ottawa... But, it seems the social-economic aspect is higher up the ladder...

Now don't shoot me... Like people have said, it is the cap or gov't seat of Canada... Aren't you gonna get more of a "yuppy factor"?

I think Eleven compared Dodgers v. Cubs... True the Cubs fans are more noisier... Now compare the Cubs fans to Sox fans on the south side... Big difference...

Something can be said about a "blue collar" and "white collar" enviro...

Or... On another note, maybe the fans in OTT are related to the Finnish?... Man, that is one reserved culture... ;) ;)

But... In all seriousness, IMO I think something can be said about one's socio-economic standing...

Don't get me wrong... On the other end of the spectrum (even tangent off the spectrum) you have Cryer and Patsie fans... And man nobody can figure them bums out with a simple "means" test... :blink:

PS: Maybe there is a historical connection also going back with OTT being the center of British Canada?

Redskins are a good point.

I stand by that though, I do think there is something about government towns.

I guess I don't think of London and Madrid as primarily government towns.

They are cities in their own right.

I live in DC (duh!), and there are people from every corner of the USA here. It seems as though not everyone in a capital city is from that particular city. I'd guess Ottawa is the same way.

Don't get me started on how many foreigners are here!!! :wallbash:

Pretty much everyone that's in Buffalo is from Buffalo, because there are not a lot of reasons to go there if you're not from there (economy-type reasons).

If you thought it was a church before, shoulda seen todays game. Reffing was attrocious. Chris Kelly two high sticks, both of which cut him, then gets bowled into Kari Lehtonen and gets called for goal tender interference. Sens fans let Don Van Massanhoven hear it, loudest i've heard the corel center.

Corel Center being a much better name than ScotiaBank Place. ;)

Archived