Jersey Question

IKnowPhysics

It's been announced that the NHL wil go to RBK-designed form-fitting jerseys for 07-08, with a debut during this year's All-Star game in Dallas.

Are the new jerseys already of the form-fit template, or are they going to be changing the fit? Will a different form actually enhance the away-jersey's look?

I know they designed them with no horizontal stripes so that they could be used, but two jersey changes in two years seems a little short-sighted.

Also, what will become of our beloved retro third jersey? Will they be left untouched, or will they be squeezed into a tighter package?

Are they still planning to change the retro jersey blue color to match the darker hockey pants?

A little theory a fan in DC had about the new jerseys.

You know how Buffalo also demostrates alot of new ideas? Video screen on ice, blue ice and the huge net?

What if the Sabres brought up the idea of the numbers on front, and every team in the NHL under the new jerseys will wear them? NHL and Sabres just wanted to see the reaction of their fanbase which has been very positive.... so the theory is, NHL All-Star game will have numbers on front and next season all the NHL clubs will fallow.... anyone think this is possible?

I thought I heard somewhere a little while back that there would be no third jerseys for any team during the first year of the new uniforms in the league.

The reasoning behind that is the same as why they don't allow teams with new uniforms to also roll out a new third jersey for first season. It's all about maximizing sales to the fullest extent possible. And the only reason why we were able to have a third jersey this season is because it's considered a retro jersey.

I thought I heard somewhere a little while back that there would be no third jerseys for any team during the first year of the new uniforms in the league.

The reasoning behind that is the same as why they don't allow teams with new uniforms to also roll out a new third jersey for first season. It's all about maximizing sales to the fullest extent possible.

I get the economics of that, but I'm not sure that we would put up with only the new logo for a full year. Maybe I'm a little ethnocentriic, but I think Buffalo could make a strong case for exmption from that.

And all of that presumes that the retro jersey gets squashed into the new form-fitting mold, which I expect might be the law soon.

The NHL marketing geniuses are heading down the wrong path if they change the original six!! There will be anarchy from those cities. I don't think they will changed the logos, but radically altering the jerseys will be a mistake.

its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and stinkin corporations! Uuuug.

The NHL marketing geniuses are heading down the wrong path if they change the original six!! There will be anarchy from those cities. I don't think they will changed the logos, but radically altering the jerseys will be a mistake.

its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and stinkin corporations! Uuuug.

You got it, Hawerchuk. If they do change the logos to something dramatically different (like our is dramatically different from both the original and goathead logo) then I could see people in Detroit, Montreal, Toronto and Boston/NY damn near rioting - it won't be such a minor story if the Red Wings, Leafs, Ranger Habs or Bruins have to make a major change to accommodate the new style jerseys...(I doubt the people in Chicago care much anymore, given how Wirtz has given them the finger for the last few decades...)

It would be fun, though, to watch the league try to backpedal out of that $h!tstorm...

Best part of the one article linked:

The NHL is mindlessly tinkering with something that was already cash in the bank. Fans, especially under the CBA with all its frantic player movement, generally cheer for the sweater and not the player. The identity of many teams has been built up through generations. Some will argue that it?s not such a big deal because the logos will be unchanged. That just isn?t so. Imagine if the Habs or the Maple Leafs decided to add a brightly colored swoosh in behind their logo, much like Ottawa did with their awful home jerseys. The fan revolt would be deafening.

Unfortunately, the NHL has decided to downplay the massive change about to take place and try to ram it through at the last possible moment to head off any sort of prolonged protest. Undoubtedly, they watched closely the Buffalo situation where fans were talking about the sweaters more so than the players on the team. Gary Bettman should stop listening to the money-hungry wolves at Reebok and start listening to the core hockey audience before he gets buried under a mountain of rejected hockey jerseys.

The new uniform style, which was previewed by a few teams in the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy, will be tight-fitting, lighter and strangest of all, be tucked into the hockey pants. So what?s the big deal you say?

It means that teams like the Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens will have to eliminate their horizontal striping on the bottoms of their jerseys, virtually bringing an end to a historical visual style and making 20 of the NHL?s current jerseys a retro-sweater.

Simon Gagne in the Turin Nike "sleek" jersey.

Gagne on ice (same).

The NHL's new form-fitting jersey's tucked in? I doubt many players would do it. Would they enforce this for retro or original six jerseys? If so, the classic Blue and Gold striping will be no more.

Simon Gagne in the Turin Nike "sleek" jersey.

Gagne on ice (same).

The NHL's new form-fitting jersey's tucked in? I doubt many players would do it. Would they enforce this for retro or original six jerseys? If so, the classic Blue and Gold striping will be no more.

the form fitting jerseys don't look bad at all actually... i don't mind them...

the form fitting jerseys don't look bad at all actually... i don't mind them...

I honestly don't have a problem with the form-fitting jerseys for the players...but the thought of seeing them stretched over the bellies of some of the fans (yours truly included) makes me shudder....if the replicas fit the way the Olympic ones do, then they'll be selling A LOT of XXL-3XL and 4XL jerseys... :sick:

I honestly don't have a problem with the form-fitting jerseys for the players...but the thought of seeing them stretched over the bellies of some of the fans (yours truly included) makes me shudder....if the replicas fit the way the Olympic ones do, then they'll be selling A LOT of XXL-3XL and 4XL jerseys... :sick:

Isn't that a problem with the fitness levels of the fans and not the design of the jerseys? :lol:

Hey, just because the players are in great shape, it doesn't mean the league should switch the uniforms to all-spandex (despite what the female fans might think...)

That's all I am saying... ;)

Besides - how many guys have you seen at the arenas that make the current jerseys look like they are form-fitting?

Uhhh....not quite. The league will in fact introduce the stream-lined/sleeker/form-fitting uniforms next year, and they will be unveiled at this year's All Star game.

ESPN:

NHL plans new, streamlined uniforms next season

NEW YORK -- The NHL will break with tradition next season by ushering in a new, streamlined uniform that blends fashion with functionality, commissioner Gary Bettman said Wednesday.

Bettman said the new-look uniforms, designed over the past two years, will be unveiled at the All-Star Game in January.

In an interview with Reuters at the NHL's headquarters in New York, Bettman said the players who have tested it so far "have been thrilled."

While the new tapered uniforms are fashionable, Bettman said they were designed with players in mind.

"The new uniform takes advantage of developments in new fabrics," he said. "But the change was done not for the stylistic. It was done for performance and safety. It was time. Our basic uniforms haven't changed in 40 years."

NHL teams have worn basically the same outfit, with big, square shirts, bulky pads and wide socks with horizontal stripes since the 1940s.

The new leg pads are designed to stay in place when a player moves and not ride up toward the waist.

Archived