Nathan Paetsch Had Horrible Game

bob_sauve28

If my memory is right, I've got him down directly for three of the goals. He was burned by cheap shot boy on one. missed a pass in slot that led to break for another and was beat in corner that set up one timer on another.

Tough game for the kid. Those things will happen when you throw a kid like that into a game. He will get over it and move on.

If my memory is right, I've got him down directly for three of the goals. He was burned by cheap shot boy on one. missed a pass in slot that led to break for another and was beat in corner that set up one timer on another.

Tough game for the kid. Those things will happen when you throw a kid like that into a game. He will get over it and move on.

He has played much better then that all year...............Had an off game for sure, he will bounce back........ :beer:

He looked like a fool out there. But, I don't think the decision to only dress 5 helped. It's not just physical rest you need from your shifts, it's mental rest, too, and it looked like every minute I turned away, Paetsch was back out on the ice.

I don't think they had any choice, Spacek was a surprise scratch from what I gather, too late to recall anyone

The two goals that were the result of bad decisions are troublesome. The other one was Ovechkin making a player look bad.

You think? I thought he lost battle along the boards for one, which is troubling, but the other one where Zednick scored he made the right play moving up into scoring position but he just misplayed the puck. Had he handled it he might have scored or created a rebound. I can accept those mistakes, this team lives off of making plays like that

He's a 6th.... 7th defencemen on our team, let's not forget that. He will make mistakes.

Fine for now, but he better have it out of his system come playoff time because plays like those will send this team packing very quickly.

PS I think his play to date has been pretty good, so hopefully this was just a fluke game for him.

Let's be honest, Paetsch had a nightmare game, but it's one he can learn from. He played just 14:38 last night, but was on the ice for 6 of the game's 11 goals - 4 Caps goals and 2 Buffalo tallies - so he didn't hit Derian Hatcher's single-game +/- "milestone."

I am trying to look back and see which ones don't bother me as much, but in reality, they all do. He cannot misplay the pass in the slot that leads to the Zednick break; when he starts to blow a wheel as Ovechkin starts blowing past him, he should have hooked/tripped AO and taken the penalty, rather than let him get in on goal with a head of steam; and on the breakaway/Marty flopping fish attack, he needs to make his decision faster on whether to challenge the puck, and if does, he needs to win that battle. He was kind of indecisive on whether to challenge the play, and by the time he did, there was no way he could win the battle...

His play has been pretty good up till now, so I really believe it was an off-night for him that he will use as a learning experience. As I mentioned last night, I'd prefer it if the Sabres could find a no. 7-type defenseman that is OK with playing a few games here and there, and can step in when injuries or fatigue are a factor, so Paetsch, Card, Funk & Sekera can all keep playing regularly in Rochester. I know there aren't many guys out there like Rory F (thankfully) but a player like that could help a lot in terms of being a serviceable defenseman in a pinch, while allowing the younger guys to continue playing rather than watching from the box.

All that said, I don't think we should be carrying 6 defensemen...I think they need to find a way to get an extra d-man up here, even if it means sending Stafford back down (which I am fully in favor of, BTW.) Again, just MHO, but I don't want to see us lose a game b/c a freak injury flares up, we are stuck with 5 D and then lose someone during the game.

Archived