This Day in Sabres History: December 2nd

PASabreFan

December 2, 1969

The Knox brothers are officially awarded an NHL franchise.

December 2, 1981

The Sabres trade Jim Schoenfeld, Danny Gare and Derek Smith to the Detroit Red Wings for Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt and Brent Peterson. They also trade Bob Sauve to the Wings for a conditional first-round pick. After the season, the Wings decided to return Sauve to Buffalo and keep the pick.

December 2, 1986

The Sabres fire general manager Scotty Bowman, replacing him with assistant GM Gerry Meehan.

December 2, 1981

The Sabres trade Jim Schoenfeld, Danny Gare and Derek Smith to the Detroit Red Wings for Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt and Brent Peterson.

On this day, I remember it well, young X. Benedict stared at the Buffalo news for hours in disbelief with a tear in his eye.

I remember Jim Schonfeld grabbing Ric Azar and crying. That was a shocking trade, I rember being in a friend's car when it was announced over the radio and it sent a bolt right through me. Bob Sauve was involed in that trade somehow too. Foligno turned into an all-time Sabre. Peterson was a very good center for awhile but McCort never lived up to his billing. I really do not know how long any of those Sabres were in the league after that trade. Smith is totally lost to my memory, but Gare and Schonny bounced around a while after that.

I remember Jim Schonfeld grabbing Ric Azar and crying. That was a shocking trade, I rember being in a friend's car when it was announced over the radio and it sent a bolt right through me. Bob Sauve was involed in that trade somehow too.

I always wondered about the passion Schoeny showed to Rick Azar. I mean, who didn't have a man crush on Rick?

Yes, Bob Sauve was involved. I will correct the record. Sauve was traded to Detroit in a separate deal for a conditional first round pick. Detroit had the option of sending him back to Buffalo after the season and keeping their pick, which is what they decided to do. Sauve was the starter in Buffalo the next season, and Don Edwards was traded to Calgary. And, yes, Edwards cried when he heard the news. Not sure if he fell apart in Rick Azar's arms though. Probably. I know I did.

Archived