When do we start eating into Connolly's salary?

gilbert1175

According to the Buffalo News, on Nov. 22nd, we had 29k of cap space left and it cost us about 2k for every day we had callups from rochester - there's been 3 games since then (including 11/22) with Stafford, Paille and Funk called up - at 6k a game, that's 18k, meaning, by my count, we only have 11k left before we start eating into Connolly's salary.

Question is, do the Sabres just keep plugging along and start eating into Tim's salary exemption and worry about this if/when Connolly gets closer to returning, or do they look at making a move sooner?

And, once they finally start eating into Tim's salary, does that give us more flexibility to keep guys up here if necessary to practice with the team?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

I may be mistaken, but i don't think those players were ever assigned to roch. between those games... which would mean you would have to take off 8K per day (game day or practice day) because Ryan was also up with the club. If those numbers are right, my guess is, they are already into Tim's contract. If he comes back from IR i am guessing they waive peters to allow for more call ups to be made. I have a sense they aren't expecting Tim to be coming back for the rest of the year which is unfortunate. However, a more determined Connolly than last year will be scary in 07-08 when he is asked to center one of our top two lines after Briere departs.

Yes, a butt ton of assumptions were made in the second half of this post.

What the News said about the cap situation is ridiculously misleading. With the regular roster (no call ups), the team is ~200k under the cap. Each day they are under the cap, they bank a small amount of money that can be used later in the saason. By placing Connolly on LTIR, they are allowed to exceed the cap by $2.9 million, the amount of Connolly's contract. They don't get to bank any of that 2.9 million for future use though.

By calling up all these players, they have never actually been eating into that small cushion for later use. They just haven't been adding to it.

I hope that's clear. I don't exactly have a way with words.

I may be mistaken, but i don't think those players were ever assigned to roch. between those games... which would mean you would have to take off 8K per day (game day or practice day) because Ryan was also up with the club. If those numbers are right, my guess is, they are already into Tim's contract. If he comes back from IR i am guessing they waive peters to allow for more call ups to be made. I have a sense they aren't expecting Tim to be coming back for the rest of the year which is unfortunate. However, a more determined Connolly than last year will be scary in 07-08 when he is asked to center one of our top two lines after Briere departs.

Yes, a butt ton of assumptions were made in the second half of this post.

Waiving Peters isn't going to provide much relief since he is the cheapest player on the team and most of the call ups have a larger salary then he does (or atleast very similar) Plus if Connolly does come back this season, Only a percentage of his cap figure counts (a percentage of the total amount of time that he was not on injured reserve)

Archived