John Murphy vs. Van Miller (vs. RJ)

wudden

Anyone who listened to the Bills game on the radio, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at John Murphy's attempt to come up with a "signature call" like other elite announcers. At the end of the game, as the Bills won with no time left on the clock, his repeated phrase of "THIS TEAM IS IN BUSINESS" was weak to say the lease. Don't get me wrong, I like John Murphy. I think he's a good announcer and all, but he's no Van Miller, and without doubt, no RJ. I get chills down my spine when hear some of Van's and RJ's classic calls, but regardless of how good the Bills get during Murph's tenure, I doubt I'll ever feel that way about him.

Anyone who listened to the Bills game on the radio, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at John Murphy's attempt to come up with a "signature call" like other elite announcers. At the end of the game, as the Bills won with no time left on the clock, his repeated phrase of "THIS TEAM IS IN BUSINESS" was weak to say the lease. Don't get me wrong, I like John Murphy. I think he's a good announcer and all, but he's no Van Miller, and without doubt, no RJ. I get chills down my spine when hear some of Van's and RJ's classic calls, but regardless of how good the Bills get during Murph's tenure, I doubt I'll ever feel that way about him.

Well, if THAT doesn't get you fired up - you must be dead to the world. :lol:

I love John as an analyst -- he could break down a play like nobody's business (sorry). Now that's lacking from the broadcast. John's play by play is OK, but there's that intangible missing from his calls. I think it's his voice. When he gets excited, it's almost as annoying as Mark Kelso's voice.

Van and Rick are originals and won't be replaced.

I listened to the game on radio as well, and i love Murphy as a anylist but not as PBP. I'd listen to him when i was late getting to the bar so it wasn't a shock. But, what made it so hard to listen to, each PLAY like a punt or the INT by Losman, was ALWAYS sponsered by something. I lost track how many times they mentioned a ad on the air, it was the craziest thing ever.

On a side note, I like Kelso, but he seems he's talking down to the listeners. Idk if he's told to do so because they have many kids or normal joe's listening, or if that's his way, but that also bugged me.

However, the biggest JOKE of the telecast was at the start. As you prolly know, Time Warner sponsers the Bills radio, and right before kickoff, they did their ad, which they do every Sunday... Murph goes "If you couldn't get a ticket to todays game, it's OK, because with Time Warner HD you already have the best seat in the house, in your living room on TV!"

.... WTF is listening to that telecast is able to watch it on tv???? That made me so angry.

It's very difficult to replace/substitute for legends, so we shouldn't expect greatness when someone does. Jim Lorentz did pretty well last night, considering he's an analyst. John Murphy generally does a good job, considering he came into the booth as an analyst.

I don't think Murph was trying to create a signature call with the "THIS TEAM IS IN BUSINESS" line. That one probably came out of the moment, considering we can now put the Bills on the list of teams in playoff contention.

Archived