Has anyone ever pulled a true "Jim Marshall"?

SDS

there have been lots of accidental tip-ins by a team's own player, but has anyone ever just made such a brain fart that they forgot where they were and purposely shot at their own net and scored? Obviously, this would be a head down, in front of the net puck whacking scenario. I doubt it could ever happen, but I thought I would ask.

For those that don't remember, Jim Marshall of the Minnesota Vikings ran the wrong way once and scored a "TD" (a safety) for the other team.

Not sure about the NHL, but it happened at the world championships a few years ago.

Japan Vs. Denmark, a Japanese player scored in his own net. Perfectly placed at the far post, a puck trickled straight to him and he banged it home.

Gamewinner too :-)

Excellent!!! You made my night! I love crap like that. :lol:

there have been lots of accidental tip-ins by a team's own player, but has anyone ever just made such a brain fart that they forgot where they were and purposely shot at their own net and scored? Obviously, this would be a head down, in front of the net puck whacking scenario. I doubt it could ever happen, but I thought I would ask.

For those that don't remember, Jim Marshall of the Minnesota Vikings ran the wrong way once and scored a "TD" (a safety) for the other team.

There have been a few times that a player tried to fire the puck behind the net and buried it instead. Don Cherry videos are usually good for 2 or 3. Kenny Morrow with a perfect backhand behind his goalie (can't remember if it was Rollie or Smith) is one of his classics. And you can't ever forget Steve Smith banking the puck off Fuhr to give the '86 battle of Alberta to Calgary. That was a TRUE classic.

But I can't think of any at the NHL level where a guy had to make a move or anything fancy to beat his own goalie.

Not sure about the NHL, but it happened at the world championships a few years ago.

Japan Vs. Denmark, a Japanese player scored in his own net. Perfectly placed at the far post, a puck trickled straight to him and he banged it home.

Gamewinner too :-)

Talk about a Kamakazee goal B-)

Archived