Just Back from the Game

Realist

What a great game! I don't know if anyone saw this on TV, but there were only about 11,000 people there. I thought these guys were the Stanley Cup Champions? No one goes to the freakin' games? I was absolutely shocked. I didn't expect a full house, but I thought it would be close to full. What a pathetic excuse for a fan base!!! How do you win the Stanley Cup and not show up to a game like this?!!

On the flip side, great contingent of Sabres fans! :D Easily drowned out the Lets Go Canes chant with the "Lets Go Buffalo" chant.

Sabres played absolutely fantastic in that first period. The three goals were great, finally able to put in a few during the first. I was getting worried about the way they would outplay the other team in the first and not be able to score. I was worried after Carolina tied it, but after Mair scored, you could see the 'canes deflate some. They weren't playing nearly as well after that.

Biron looked a lot better tonight than his last couple of starts.

My newest most hated player in the NHL...Eric Cole, what freakin' loser. Whines and cries all the time when anyone comes near him, but will give out any cheap shot he possibly can. I didn't realize he was that dirty of a player, just as bad as Darcy Tucker.

Not in defence of the Canes or their fans (both of which I dislike strongly (don't like to use "hate" in reference to sports teams/fans)), it is a Monday night game and there was a Monday Night Football game in Carolina too. I realize they are not in the same city, but you have to admit it would hurt attendance.

During the Panthers/Bucs Monday Night football game they showed the hockey score and got quite a cheer in my section.

:)

Yeah these fans suck. I tried telling certain big posters on this board that fact during the Cup run last year only to be yelled down.

I know you did. They don't live here though and we do. Quite simply we were right and they were wrong, but you already knew that though. ;)

Not in defence of the Canes or their fans (both of which I dislike strongly (don't like to use "hate" in reference to sports teams/fans)), it is a Monday night game and there was a Monday Night Football game in Carolina too. I realize they are not in the same city, but you have to admit it would hurt attendance.

I don't buy that. Its a three hour drive to Charlotte from here. I don't think that many people from here went to the football game. The Panthers here are not like the Bills in Rochester. There's just not that kind of following. This wasn't the first game were there wasn't anywhere near a full house. I've seen a couple of games on TV and saw a huge amount of empty seats.

No offense, but that's bullschitt. Like somebody else said, Charlotte is a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. The bottom line is that Carolina has about 10K "real" fans, and the rest of them that occasionally fill the seats are bandwagon-jumping idiots.

It was the most pathetic home crowd -- for a game of relatively high magnitude -- I've ever seen. I was embarrassed for the Canes. If this team doesn't stay extremely competitive their long-term future here is definitely in question.

The Sabres' fans were great. I got some of the expected comebacks from Canes' fans when I cheered -- "We still have the Cup" kind of stuff. I just told them to enjoy it for the full 365 days because it won't be coming back.

One other note -- I've never seen a fan base that insists on bringing small children to games like the Canes' fans. I consistently see 2, 3, and 4 year olds at these games. What the hell is up with that?

On TV you could hear the Let's Go Buffalo chants - that's been the situation in many cities this year...

Buffalo Sabres - "Have Fans - Will Travel".

With respect to the canes fans...we are all bitter and angry about them having the cup - I totally understand...I felt the same way about the Marlins and Diamondbacks...oh well. What is more upsetting has been the coverage by the national media of how fantastic the caniacs have been...that coverage sickened me. At least this year our fans are getting the same credit.

I don't buy that. Its a three hour drive to Charlotte from here. I don't think that many people from here went to the football game. The Panthers here are not like the Bills in Rochester. There's just not that kind of following. This wasn't the first game were there wasn't anywhere near a full house. I've seen a couple of games on TV and saw a huge amount of empty seats.

Amen Realist. I was going to post this last night. Friends, do not let the word "Carolina" in both team names confuse you. Everyone in Charlotte roots for and pulls for the Panthers. The Canes are a very distant afterthought. Hell the game was maybe 80% full at Bank of America Stadium last night. I have friends who drove from SC to Raleigh for the Sabres game.

They are a sad fan base up in Raleigh.

On TV you could hear the Let's Go Buffalo chants - that's been the situation in many cities this year...

Buffalo Sabres - "Have Fans - Will Travel".

Buffalo Sabres - "Have Fans - Will Travel, except to home games against the Leafs, then its Will sell tickets to turn a profit on my season tickets"

Its fine to brag about being louder then the opponents fans in their arena, and take shots at their fan base, but Buffalo fans aren't much different. The Leafs come to town and drown out Sabres Fans and try to distract the goalie so its hard to feel superior to other teams we do that too.

As for the Monday night game, no one says that they had to travel to the game 9which many may have, but they could have decided to go to a bar to watch the Panthers game instead of going to watch the Canes lose to Buffalo. If it wasn't for the winning streak and variable pricing, Buffalo would not be selling out all their games either. Last year I was able to be playoff tickets in pairs on the day of the game (except for the finals). All last season I could do the same, now this year everyone is a Sabres fan and the place is sold out. I'm just waiting for a losing streak to see what happens with all those fans

Its fine to brag about being louder then the opponents fans in their arena, and take shots at their fan base, but Buffalo fans aren't much different. The Leafs come to town and drown out Sabres Fans and try to distract the goalie so its hard to feel superior to other teams we do that too.

Except most people aren't trying to make their point by pointing out there were many Sabres fans there. Yes, there are many Leafs fans when they come to Buffalo, but the games are at least sold out! This was a game played by the defending SC champs against the current best team in the NHL, where a rivalry is building and there are 4000-5000 empty seats? Say what you will about Buffalo sports fans but even if the Sabres weren't playing as well as they are something like that would never happen at HSBC.

This season maybe, But last season at the start of the year it did, they had a bit of a problem selling out alot of home games early last year

True, but I have said this before, I give ALL fans (yes even Canes fans) a pass for not coming out to the games in the early part of last season because of the lockout.

One other note -- I've never seen a fan base that insists on bringing small children to games like the Canes' fans. I consistently see 2, 3, and 4 year olds at these games. What the hell is up with that?

I hear ya. But I gotta say, exactly what the hell is wrong with that.

People should be able to bring kids to hockey games.

That's how the game is passed down.

If I were at the SCF in 1975 - I would be pretty proud of that even if I didn't remember.

If I were at the SCF in 1975 - I would be pretty proud of that even if I didn't remember.

Great point, I completely agree. Every year I make it up to Buffalo to see a Sabres game and every year since my son was 3 I've taken him with me (he is 5 now and we are going to the Montreal game next Friday). He really gets into it and wants to take ice skating lessons this winter and I attribute that to the games he has seen. Next year my daughter turns 3 and I'll start taking her too once I find the extra cash to do that.

So, "what the hell is wrong with that?"

X -

I'm going to disagree with you for the first time in years. As a father I will take my boys to many games when they are over 6 or 7. Why? Because they will remember. A toddler or two year old doesn't understand and don't get me started on the salty language. The difference in Carolina is they bring TODDLERS to the games - babies in Bjorn backpacks. I saw two in my section at the football game last night. Call me old fashioned, but call a babysitter.

What's wrong is that you've got a 2 or 3 year old who won't get to bed until 10 or 11? I've watched these little kids at games; they don't seem enthused to be there. The parents are selfish. There was a guy in front of me last night flinging his little 3 year old daughter around, and her face read, "please take me home."

I guess to me it's a parenting issue; parents who bring toddlers to games aren't doing it because it is in the best interests of the kids or because they want to "pass down the game." You do that when your kid is old enough to understand what's going on; when you can have a conversation about what's going on down on the ice.

It's just my opinion; I understand that others may disagree and still be considered "good" parents. ;)

What's wrong is that you've got a 2 or 3 year old who won't get to bed until 10 or 11? I've watched these little kids at games; they don't seem enthused to be there. The parents are selfish. There was a guy in front of me last night flinging his little 3 year old daughter around, and her face read, "please take me home."

I guess to me it's a parenting issue; parents who bring toddlers to games aren't doing it because it is in the best interests of the kids or because they want to "pass down the game." You do that when your kid is old enough to understand what's going on; when you can have a conversation about what's going on down on the ice.

It's just my opinion; I understand that others may disagree and still be considered "good" parents. ;)

Great minds think alike. :D

X -

I'm going to disagree with you for the first time in years. As a father I will take my boys to many games when they are over 6 or 7. Why? Because they will remember. A toddler or two year old doesn't understand and don't get me started on the salty language. The difference in Carolina is they bring TODDLERS to the games - babies in Bjorn backpacks. I saw two in my section at the football game last night. Call me old fashioned, but call a babysitter.

A Bjorn backpack? Vart? (I hear he is doing well by the way)

Call a babysitter? Nah, give em a vodka-coke and let em sleep it off.

I guess you must of learned a thing or two in fatherhood. :D

Archived