NHL at it again

Corp000085

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182889&hubname=

unbelievable... oilers are down by 1 and with a few seconds left, they win the faceoff and score a goal... the ref decides the oilers won the faceoff on a hand pass.. It was complete BS... we'll see what happens though, as craig mactavish called mcgeough's call "retarded". This is such a ridiculous call, but hopefully it will open the NHL's eyes as to the officiating this season.

Marty Turco makes a good case...

While Turco was sympathetic toward the Oilers, he said he heard the whistle and had stopped moving on Hemsky's shot.

"The whistle had gone a long time before the puck went in," he said. "That's what we were going off of. It's a tough break for them. Who knows what would have happened?

"But the whistle went as he was shooting. I had already reacted to the whistle. I could have smothered it or swatted it away. I'm sure they are disappointed but by no means should that be thought of as a possible goal."

If there was no whistle... Would he have stopped it.

It was a bad call... Arguing that it would have went in is "He said... She said..."

BTW... I am not a Stars lover... Tough for the Oilers, cost them one point.

Good to see MacTavish didn't tap-dance around the subject after the game:

"It was a retarded call," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish snapped. "There is no other explanation for it. I know he is a veteran official and at times I have found his antics humorous. But if this is the product of that there is a problem.

"It was a ridiculous call. I had no idea what he had called. Nobody saw the hand pass on the play because quite clearly there wasn't one. It's beyond reason.

"He should be suspended."

There has to be some sort of significant punishment for McGeough on this, and not just "it will weigh against him for the playoffs." Referees need to be accountable for screwups, just like players & coaches are.

I watched the game last night (although I'm neither a Star nor Oiler fan), and the call was as horrible as MacTavish claims it was. McGoo should either be fired or given a white cane so that teams know what to expect when he shows up to ref their games.

And if Turco heard the whistle as he claims he did, well he's the only one in the arena who did. He made a play on the puck, and was beaten.

I watched the game last night (although I'm neither a Star nor Oiler fan), and the call was as horrible as MacTavish claims it was. McGoo should either be fired or given a white cane so that teams know what to expect when he shows up to ref their games.

And if Turco heard the whistle as he claims he did, well he's the only one in the arena who did. He made a play on the puck, and was beaten.

Turco is a LIAR........... :angry:

I was watching the game live, and let me tell you, there was no reaction by Turco to the whistle. Period. He was playing the puck like everyone else. He was bluffing.

And I'm listening to CBC hot stove during the second intermission of the Buffalo-Toronto game and they said, "You have to support the referee" regarding the fines to the Oilers that criticized the call.

COME ON! The ref blew a CRITICAL CALL that cost a team at least ONE POINT in the standings, possibly TWO!!! If you're the NHL, you HAVE TO FIRE THE GUY WHO SCREWED UP!!!

In any other industry, McGoo would be fired for such a blatant mistake.

Fire his @ss.

I was watching the game live, and let me tell you, there was no reaction by Turco to the whistle. Period. He was playing the puck like everyone else. He was bluffing.

And I'm listening to CBC hot stove during the second intermission of the Buffalo-Toronto game and they said, "You have to support the referee" regarding the fines to the Oilers that criticized the call.

COME ON! The ref blew a CRITICAL CALL that cost a team at least ONE POINT in the standings, possibly TWO!!! If you're the NHL, you HAVE TO FIRE THE GUY WHO SCREWED UP!!!

In any other industry, McGoo would be fired for such a blatant mistake.

Fire his @ss.

I don't know that I agree that he shouldbe fired, but a few nights' vacation (suspension) might be a good idea.

Ron MacLean was the one who made the comment about supporting the refs, and it isn't surprising that he would take that stance - after all, he is a ref in the juniors(?), and even worked part of a Sabres preseason game this year.

I think the said Mctavi is gonna get suspended or fined or something, comments were deemed unprofessional.

$10,000 fine, according to TSN.

Archived