New to the board

Enforcer Kelley

Hey guys (and gals).. the missus and are about to go to our first game.. (Got 'em for her as an anniversary present) I'm looking for suggestions on a place to stay for that night. (Think it's the game this friday night, vs. Carolina.) Any help would be much appreciated. Looking for some place fairly close to the Arena.. and won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Enforcer Kelley

The Holiday Inn on Delaware Ave near Allen is reasonable and dependably clean. It's about a $6 cab fare to the arena or you could take the 20 bus from Elmwood & Allen for $1.50 (I've done this...you get off at Washington Square. Washington Sq. Pub has drink and food specials before games and is an easy walk to the arena from there.)

Also, since it's Friday night, your hotel will be within walking distance of several fine establishments in Allentown for after game victory celebrations.

First game huh? You'll have a great time. Where are you from?

There is the Adam's Mark Hotel which is walking distance from the Arena. Don't forget to take a ride on the MetroRail (free from the foot of Main to the Theatre District). You can get off and check out the post-game celebrations (TGIF celebrations as well) around the Chippewa St/Franklin St entertainment district.

Hey guys (and gals).. the missus and are about to go to our first game.. (Got 'em for her as an anniversary present) I'm looking for suggestions on a place to stay for that night. (Think it's the game this friday night, vs. Carolina.) Any help would be much appreciated. Looking for some place fairly close to the Arena.. and won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Enforcer Kelley

Three hotels in walking distance (not a short walk, but walking distance) or within free train distance (we have a below ground / above ground "subway" that's free and above in the downtown area):

--Comfort Suites, Main & Chippewa Sts.

--Hyatt, Pearl & Huron (?) Sts.

--Hampton, Delaware & Chippewa Sts.

A friend recently picked up a Friday night rate of $41 at the Comfort Suites and $70 at Hyatt, both via priceline.

Hyatt, naturally, is more of a full-service hotel, with two bars, two restaurants, etc.; Comfort Suites is more of an economy-style hotel but still, clean rooms, etc. I have not been to the Hampton, but I hear that it's the nicest of the three (a Hampton can trump a Hyatt in this town), and I know the restaurants on its ground floor, while not hotel-related, are excellent.

Good luck.

ON EDIT: There also is an Adam's Mark within walking distance of the arena, but it is completely isolated from the rest of the city. If you want to be close to the game and also close to restaurants, bars, other services, etc., I'd recommend staying at one of the other three I mentioned. There also are a Best Western and a Holiday Inn in the city, and both are close to restaurants, etc., but neither is within walking/free train distance to the game.

PS: Since it's an anniversary, I should mention that the Hampton has Jacuzzi suites. Grrrr.

PPS on one more edit: Please call each hotel to make sure it has the services you need (cable, Internet, whatever). Some places have been hit hard by the storm; others haven't.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites last December and it was pretty decent - nice big suite rooms, paid upper 80s for the room (weekend between Christmas & New Years). Hyatt was right around the corner - good steak house in there & you can pick up the Trolley for free ride down the street to game in front of the hotel. Comfort had breakfast (nothing special but good donuts). Some skeezy people hanging around the lobby at times & the TGI Fridays that connected to it was packed out. I'd stay there again but would try the other places too (the Hyatt was nice but nothing special - typical big name place).

Anyway, I just checked travelocity.com & their quoting $119 for Hyatt, $155 for Hampton Inn and Comfort Inn for $119 but no availability. Adams Mark was $109 but I agree with person who said it doesn't seem to be near anything.

If you want to stay in the Burbs & drive in, rates start at $49 by the airport with lots in the $60-$80 range.

Here's a tip I use - check the rates & availability at a site like Travelocity but then go directly to the hotel web site (e.g. comfortinn.com) to book - they always guarantee the best rate on their own site & it's usually $5-10 less than thru the 3rd party site.

Have a great time & wish the family & I were going to (being that we're expecting a baby anytime probably not a good idea to be traveling just now though).

The Holiday Inn on Delaware Ave near Allen is reasonable and dependably clean. It's about a $6 cab fare to the arena or you could take the 20 bus from Elmwood & Allen for $1.50 (I've done this...you get off at Washington Square. Washington Sq. Pub has drink and food specials before games and is an easy walk to the arena from there.)

Also, since it's Friday night, your hotel will be within walking distance of several fine establishments in Allentown for after game victory celebrations.

First game huh? You'll have a great time. Where are you from?

Thanks for all your help fellas.. had to go with the Hyatt.. as the other three places had no availability. (That I saw) But, it's all good.. I like the the idea of being in the hub of a victory celebration. :)

As to where I am from.. Sodus, NY.. about 30 mins East of Rochester.. got to see alot of these guys grow up from Amerks to Sabres.. Pominville, Gaustad and Roy, are my personal favs. (Made it easy to switch my alligence from the NY Rangers.. I know all the Sabres.. I'd be lucky to name 7 Rangers, now.)

Go Sabres!!

Enforcer Kelley

Hyatt should be great. My wife & I would highly recommend the steakhouse located inside the hotel:

http://www.ebgreens.com/

Says it's one of the top 10 in the country - it's certainly up there - we lived in Kansas City for several years which is chock a block full of great steak places & EB Greens held it's own. Normally I avoid any place inside a hotel but in this case, the restaurant isn't really inside but rather is attached - small nuance I know but you get the feeling of it being more of at an established place with it's own identity.

Make sure to allow plenty of time - I think we had 1 1/2 to 2 hours & barely made it into our seats - mainly because the free trolley which you can pick up in front of the hotel took like 25 minutes to arrive - still better than driving & trying to park but you'd think the transit authority might step it up a little before game time - alas answer to that would be "non".

Hope Gaustad pummels someone for you - he's due and looked ready to go at the end of the Rangers game!

Thanks for all your help fellas.. had to go with the Hyatt.. as the other three places had no availability. (That I saw) But, it's all good.. I like the the idea of being in the hub of a victory celebration. :)

As to where I am from.. Sodus, NY.. about 30 mins East of Rochester.. got to see alot of these guys grow up from Amerks to Sabres.. Pominville, Gaustad and Roy, are my personal favs. (Made it easy to switch my alligence from the NY Rangers.. I know all the Sabres.. I'd be lucky to name 7 Rangers, now.)

Go Sabres!!

Enforcer Kelley

You have several choices for post game. Pearl Street grill is cool and will be packed with many post game celebrants. They also have bubble hockey and are a micro-brewery with good beer selections.

Chippewa is a young-ish crowd with a club scene. Too much hip hop BS for my taste but to each his own.

Allentown is more gritty (read "smoky dives, and I do mean dives - Brick Bar, Old Pink, Nietzche's) although there are a couple cleaner places as well and good food at places like Gabriel's Gate. Late night grease is also readily available.

I usually do Pearl for one or two, then Allentown, then up Elmwood to Bullfeathers or Coles for a nightcap or four. Whatever you decide...

Happy Anniversary and Slug 'em Sabres!

Archived