Shootout?

deluca67

I think it will soon become its own category, no need to keep it with regular goals.

Why not? It's a goal that goes towards deciding the winner of the game. If the NHL wants to promote it as a great new part of the game and is willing to let playoff spots be determined by it's outcome how can you say what happens during, never happened?

Why not? It's a goal that goes towards deciding the winner of the game. If the NHL wants to promote it as a great new part of the game and is willing to let playoff spots be determined by it's outcome how can you say what happens during, never happened?

Do they count actual in-game penalty shots on stats? Do they count for the goalie as well? If they do (and I honestly do not know, but I have to believe they do), then shoot out goals should be counted as goals, save as saves, etc. The only thing they should ignore is +/- as that would get really screwy.

The only thing that bugs me about it is how can a team win a game, but no one is credited with a GWG?

exactly...

I'd be happy with this system:

Regulation win--2 points

Regulation loss--0 points

OT win--2 points

OT loss--0 points

Shootout win--2 points

Shootout loss--1 point

Shootout GWG--1 goal

Shootout GWS--1 save

that's simple enough, right? If its too complex, please don't argue with my system... You're only allowed to argue for or against the 1/2" stick curve rule or the 3/4" stick curve rule.

The only thing that bugs me about it is how can a team win a game, but no one is credited with a GWG?

I was about to correct you, but you are right. Yahoo fantasy leagues count them as GWG's but the league does not.

It appears as if the league is starting to keep shootout stats: http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app

I would advocate keeping seperate shootout stats as opposed to including them with the game stats, and give the player with the GWG in the shootout credit for the GWG.

I think it will soon become its own category, no need to keep it with regular goals.

True dat, X.

In fact, I swear I saw something on the Torontottawa CBC coverage where the on-screen stat summary included "SOG" -- at first, of course, I thought they were saying "shots on goal" -- but when they id'd one of the Sens top 6 forwards as having had 2 SOGs last year, I inferred they were talking about shootout goals.

Now, the question is, what should the abbreviated handle be? Let's keep it super cute -- how about Shouts?

... Reading on, I see some great thoughts from Shrader on GWG's, etc.

My thought would be that GWGs in a shootout would be listed as a subspecies of shootout goals generally -- thus, to discern how many GWG's a player had overall, you'd have to add the 2 totals (of regulation and OT GWGs and the shootout variety). Maybe that's a distinction now worth making.

As for the "game winning save" in a shootout: Did Miller win the opener with the third save and/or did Danny win it with the first shootout goal? It occurs to me Shrader's saying that both should be credited, right?

I was about to correct you, but you are right. Yahoo fantasy leagues count them as GWG's but the league does not.

They're crediting those stats now? I know they didn't last year. There's a problem with that though. Say a team scores their first two while the other team fails on their first two chances. Which one is the GWG?

As for the "game winning save" in a shootout: Did Miller win the opener with the third save and/or did Danny win it with the first shootout goal? It occurs to me Shrader's saying that both should be credited, right?

Does a game winning save really matter in any stat column? That's not something that they keep track of, since obviously it's impossible to do in a regulation game.

I think for me stats are indicative of what happens during a hockey game, so inflating stats, or in the goaltenders case deflating stats during a time when no defense is on the ice is not representative.

As Shrader says, you can talk about SOG and SOS and that is no problem.

I think for me stats are indicative of what happens during a hockey game, so inflating stats, or in the goaltenders case deflating stats during a time when no defense is on the ice is not representative.

As Shrader says, you can talk about SOG and SOS and that is no problem.

There is no defense on a penalty shot?

Archived