Afinogenov

inkman

If the sabres are to be a cup contender, do you think it would be wise to replace a key veteran who has NHL playoff experience (Grier) with a fresh rookie from the minors(thorburn)???? Now I'm not trying to knock thorburn, he looks like he will be an exciting player, but I just don't see him replcing Grier. Thats just me.

Grier has 40 career playoff games and 7 goals and is a plus player in the playoffs.

I never said Grier was complete garbage. But when you are building something and your funds are limited. I just think the money could be spent eslewhere with an eye towards the future. As much as I hammer Regier, there are some nice prospects who seem ready to give this NHL thing a try. You already know what you get from Grier. I'm not sure if it is worth the $1.3 million when you can get cheaper, faster and better with some guys you already have in your system.

Deluca

I agree with you about Grier/Thorburn, unfortunately it's a numbers game like with Roy at the start of the season. Btw, is anyone else just a little bit disapointed with Roy?

I can't say that I am overly disappointed in Roy. The kid is only 22 years old and this is only his second stint in the NHL (not all, but a lot of his time the 1st time was spent on the 4th line). He has 7 points in 15 games and is a -5. Take away the 1st 3 games which coincided w/ Buffalo's 4 game losing streak and he has 7 points and a -1 (w/3 pp points and 1 game winner) in 12 games. For sake of comparison, when Connolly was 21 (he was out all season w/ a concussion when he was 22), he had 25 points and a minus 28, 14 pp points and 2 gw's. Considering Connolly had been about twice as good the previous year, I was VERY disappointed in him as a 21 year old. I am nearly as happy with Connolly this year as I was disappointed his last season.

Roy is pretty much where I'd expect a normal rookie/young guy with good offensive skills to be - learning the NHL game and not hurting the team while he is adjusting to the faster pace than the AHL.

He didn't disappoint last night. Yeah, he scored the winning goal, but how many freakin times do I have to see him take that stupid, lazy hooking penalty. Every game he does this. If he didn't score the game winner last night I would have benched him for the next game but it's kinda hard if he is putting the biscuit in the basket.

im happy enough with roy, overjoyed with Pomiville and chuffed with how well thorburn did. The numbers game is cruel and i think Thorburn and Roy should be up and stay here in place of Greir and Peters, i also see that that isnt going to happen. Greir brings toughness, though its not as necessary as before, its still needed. Peters can be scratched for Roy as far as im concerned.

Archived