Computer Experts, Help Needed

Bmwolf21

After the move to Cleveland and switching ISP's, I now find that many sites with streaming video - WMV-type format - simply won't play. I have the most updated Real Player and WMP software, running Windows XP Home and the latest version of Firefox (1.5.0.6) I cannot get any video or audio on either Firefox or IE 6, and Cox Cleveland (my new ISP) isn't helping much.

For instance, I can't get MOST of the videos on the Bills' multimedia page to load, and this is the Error Message I usually get:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

Some of the older content opens occasionally on the Bills site, which really throws me off - I thought it was definitely a proxy server problem, but now I am wondering about the network connectivity.

I can usually open the media if I right click on it, copy the URL and then use "Open URL" in WMP or Real Player, but to be honest, that's a pain in the ass. I've tried changing the proxy settings on WMP and Real Player; downloading missing codecs; running anti-spyware and virus scan, but no luck.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Does it work on any other site?

Thanks for the reply.

Flash-type stuff works, but anything with a WMV, ASX-type format won't work - like cnn.com; or this page at wftv.com I can copy & paste the URL into the actual player & it will work, but the embedded streaming stuff won't.

Try re-installing Windows Media Player. Your file associations might have gotten screwed up which is why it works if you paste it in the player but won't work if you just click the link.

Or just open WMP and go to Tools/Options/File Types and make sure everything is checked off there. If that doesn't work, reinstall WMP.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try those next. I am still fighting with it. I have the always-on cable connection, but it seems the software from Cox Cable didn't install properly. I've been reading a little about the problem on the MozillaZine/Firefox message boards, so I'll keep plugging away...

Archived