Another "Bad Announcers" thread

Bmwolf21

There has been a lot of talk on here about some of the truly bad hockey announcers (both PbP and color analysts) that us non-locals have had to endure, thanks to the short-sighted planning of InDemand/Center Ice, and in recent weeks, there has been a growing murmur on TSW about Steve Tasker's "proficiency" behind the mike. Tonight, though, I had to experience the worst trio of football announcers I think I have ever heard, and that includes the ESPN Sunday Night crew of Theismann, Maguire and Mike Patrick.

[rant]

Simply put, the Browns broadcast team of Sam Rosen, Bernie Kosar and Brian Brennen are just awful. In a span of about one minute Rosen managed to misidentify one of the starters, Brennan or Kosar, I can't remember which) made a comment about JP Losman making a mistake unbecoming of "a third or four year veteran, something like that" (paraphrasing.) They misidentified Takeo Spikes injury from LY, calling it a torn ACL, and Kosar & Brennan spent most of the night waxing idiotic about their playing days, and thereby forcing Rosen to interrupt them a few times to keep the PbP going. I realize it was a Browns telecast, but Kosar managed to be a homer for both the Browns AND the Miami Hurricanes, and quite frankly, their banter was about as riveting as the one-line shots that went back-and-forth between my brother's drunken friends at his stag party.

I seriously considered shoving pencils through my eardrums at one point so I wouldn't have to listen to them anymore...thank God the NFL uses national announcers and they have a frigging week to prepare for both teams.

[/rant]

Steve is bad. Very bad. I think he got hit in the head way too many times -- or maybe it was all the hits he dished out. But his neurons are messed up. Last night's classic flub was his attempt to say the word "scoreboard" with "end zone" and "goal post" his first attempts. You know who else is bad? I hate to say it. John Murphy. Someone messed up bigtime when they decided he was play by play material. He just doesn't have the voice for it. And because he's at the mike, we have to suffer with subpar color guys like AVP and now the horrible Mark Kelso. John was the best football analyst I ever heard. I was a pretty big critic of Van toward the end, but wow I miss him.

Steve is bad. Very bad. I think he got hit in the head way too many times -- or maybe it was all the hits he dished out. But his neurons are messed up. Last night's classic flub was his attempt to say the word "scoreboard" with "end zone" and "goal post" his first attempts. You know who else is bad? I hate to say it. John Murphy. Someone messed up bigtime when they decided he was play by play material. He just doesn't have the voice for it. And because he's at the mike, we have to suffer with subpar color guys like AVP and now the horrible Mark Kelso. John was the best football analyst I ever heard. I was a pretty big critic of Van toward the end, but wow I miss him.

Agreed on Murphy; he's an analyst and not a play-by-play man.

Archived