In the spirit of attempting to discuss something new...

nfreeman

What's gonna happen with Briere?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. OK, everyone's already said plenty about what he/she thinks the Sabres SHOULD do about Danny. The question is: what WILL they do? What is going to happen?

• We trade him before the start of the season
    • We trade him pretty close to the trade deadline
    • We sign him to a long-term deal after Jan. 1 but before the end of the season
    • He plays out the season, becomes a UFA and we sign him
    • He plays out the season, becomes a UFA and someone else signs him

I'm expecting 5, hoping for 3, and would run with 1 if I were GM.

The only way 2 becomes a legitimate option is if the team has been decimated by injuries (again), but isn't getting close to the same results as last year. The Sabres can't trade him at the deadline and have it not negatively affect the team and bring cries of revolt from the fans.

I can't imagine a scenario where 4 occurs.

Since I think the greatest likelihood is of 5 happening and I don't like the idea of the Sabres losing a $5MM asset for zilch, I would try to work out a trade for a Morrison-type player (heck, if I could work that one out, I'd have $'s for JP left over) if that sort of trade is available. If not, I guess the fallback position is to try for 3 and expect 5.

I'm expecting 5, hoping for 3, and would run with 1 if I were GM.

The only way 2 becomes a legitimate option is if the team has been decimated by injuries (again), but isn't getting close to the same results as last year. The Sabres can't trade him at the deadline and have it not negatively affect the team and bring cries of revolt from the fans.

I can't imagine a scenario where 4 occurs.

Since I think the greatest likelihood is of 5 happening and I don't like the idea of the Sabres losing a $5MM asset for zilch, I would try to work out a trade for a Morrison-type player (heck, if I could work that one out, I'd have $'s for JP left over) if that sort of trade is available. If not, I guess the fallback position is to try for 3 and expect 5.

I agree. If 3 doesn't look like a possibility, 1 is the best option. Although I could imagine Darcy coming under some heat if he went with 1.

I agree. If 3 doesn't look like a possibility, 1 is the best option. Although I could imagine Darcy coming under some heat if he went with 1.

Unless 3 (or 4) happens, Darcy will catch a crudload of flack. Heck, even if one of those 2 scenarios happens, there will be some fans that aren't happy. But if option 1 keeps the team strong long term and doesn't appreciably hurt it short term, it could very well be the best option.

This team is shaping up to be a legitimate SC contender this season and for the foreseeable future. I don't want to give away an asset like Danny for nothing, so I would rather get a guy like Morrison that is a legitimate #2 center at the beginning of this season and will save some $'s, and doesn't appreciably weaken the team (at least on paper assuming Timmy comes back at 100%).

Especially when we don't know at this moment in time how Danny will deal with the (apparent) loss of his best friend on the team.

Unless 3 (or 4) happens, Darcy will catch a crudload of flack. Heck, even if one of those 2 scenarios happens, there will be some fans that aren't happy. But if option 1 keeps the team strong long term and doesn't appreciably hurt it short term, it could very well be the best option.

This team is shaping up to be a legitimate SC contender this season and for the foreseeable future. I don't want to give away an asset like Danny for nothing, so I would rather get a guy like Morrison that is a legitimate #2 center at the beginning of this season and will save some $'s, and doesn't appreciably weaken the team (at least on paper assuming Timmy comes back at 100%).

Especially when we don't know at this moment in time how Danny will deal with the (apparent) loss of his best friend on the team.

I agree it is probably better for the team long term to trade Danny. I was just commenting that it might not go over well with the average fan, who will only see it as the team being cheap.

I am glad to see you think that the team is a SC contender this season. I was listening to the Powerplay on XM yesterday and when they were talking about the Sabres they said something about how before the summer began the Sabres looked like a dynasty in the making. Their tone suggested they no longer have the same opinion. I couldn't disagree with them more. I think the team is going to pick up right where they left off before the injury bug hit. (Although I should note, that when they were talking to a caller they seemed to be making a big deal about us losing McKee. I think that Spacek was an upgrade over McKee).

Dave -- I can't say I know much about Morrison. However, he's making $3.2 million per year, he just turned 31, and his scoring totals in his last 3 NHL seasons have dropped from 71 to 60 to 56. He's played 82 games per year for the last 5 NHL seasons. He's under contract for this coming year and the one after that.

He's clearly a legit NHL center. What I don't know is: Is he a good skater? Does he fit in with our style of play? Regardless, I have to believe that there would be a significant dropoff in offensive production if he were Briere's replacement.

I can totally see the logic in your proposal: if Miller stays sharp, Connolly comes back and we avoid crazy injuries, we have a real shot at the cup. If we have to dump Danny, getting Morrison, who would presumably play and contribute a lot (probably about as much as Drury in terms of points) is better than getting zero immediate NHL-level player contribution in return.

On the other hand: it wouldn't save that much money (assuming Danny could be signed for $5 million per year). If the point of dumping Danny is to enable us to stay under the cap, lock up Miller and have some flexibility for trade-deadline moves, this wouldn't get us there. I also think Roy, who is a center, is ready to step up and be one of our top 3 centers.

Dumping Danny for picks/prospects would allow us to keep JP, albeit at a lower price than his (ridiculous) arbitration award, and give us Connolly, Drury, Roy and Goose at center. That would still be pretty strong up the middle, although we'd need one more contributor at wing from the kiddie corps.

Now, I think this is all academic, because based on Darcy's public statements I think there is no way we are going to trade Briere. I think we are going to cut payroll by dumping Marty as soon as Miller is signed, and then try to sign Danny long term right after Jan. 1. While this increases the risk that we lose him as a UFA, I think that is what TG/LQ/DR have decided on. I also think this is the right move -- Briere, IMHO, is a truly dynamic offensive player who is just entering his prime. Guys like him don't come around very often and you have to try as hard as possible to keep them.

Also, if we are a real cup contender this year (which we absolutely are), Danny playing his butt off in his contract year is going to be a huge force that I want on our side.

Just my opinion.

I agree it is probably better for the team long term to trade Danny. I was just commenting that it might not go over well with the average fan, who will only see it as the team being cheap.

I am glad to see you think that the team is a SC contender this season. I was listening to the Powerplay on XM yesterday and when they were talking about the Sabres they said something about how before the summer began the Sabres looked like a dynasty in the making. Their tone suggested they no longer have the same opinion. I couldn't disagree with them more. I think the team is going to pick up right where they left off before the injury bug hit. (Although I should note, that when they were talking to a caller they seemed to be making a big deal about us losing McKee. I think that Spacek was an upgrade over McKee).

I did realize that, and that is actually what I initially intended to respond to, but it was late and my train of thought had already left the station.

Considering, I don't see how the Sabres manage to sign Drury this season for what he's worth AND Briere for what he knows somebody else will give him, I don't see scenario 3 coming to fruition. Although, that is what I would really like to see happen.

Since 2 & 4 are extremely unlikely, that pretty much leaves 1 & 5. If Darcy hadn't made the statements he did, which were interpreted by most as saying there is no way the Sabres will trade Danny (but wasn't what he actually said, at least in the interviews I heard on WGR and read in the Snooze), I think 1 is a far superior option to 5. Darcy has faced criticism almost constantly in his time in Buffalo, so I don't think facing some additional criticism would normally sway his decision.

Because Darcy's words were interpreted as "Danny's here and will be here all year" (heck, maybe those were the actual words and I just missed them), I think the backlash against option 1 will be so great that Darcy and Tom and Larry (I just got an image of a large cat and a very skinny mouse) will decide to hope for #3 even though they expect #5.

Of course, that's all speculation on my part, and maybe Danny and the team were close enough on a deal prior to arbitration that they can work something on in January. I guess we can hope.

Dave -- I can't say I know much about Morrison. However, he's making $3.2 million per year, he just turned 31, and his scoring totals in his last 3 NHL seasons have dropped from 71 to 60 to 56. He's played 82 games per year for the last 5 NHL seasons. He's under contract for this coming year and the one after that.

He's clearly a legit NHL center. What I don't know is: Is he a good skater? Does he fit in with our style of play? Regardless, I have to believe that there would be a significant dropoff in offensive production if he were Briere's replacement.

I can totally see the logic in your proposal: if Miller stays sharp, Connolly comes back and we avoid crazy injuries, we have a real shot at the cup. If we have to dump Danny, getting Morrison, who would presumably play and contribute a lot (probably about as much as Drury in terms of points) is better than getting zero immediate NHL-level player contribution in return.

On the other hand: it wouldn't save that much money (assuming Danny could be signed for $5 million per year). If the point of dumping Danny is to enable us to stay under the cap, lock up Miller and have some flexibility for trade-deadline moves, this wouldn't get us there. I also think Roy, who is a center, is ready to step up and be one of our top 3 centers.

Dumping Danny for picks/prospects would allow us to keep JP, albeit at a lower price than his (ridiculous) arbitration award, and give us Connolly, Drury, Roy and Goose at center. That would still be pretty strong up the middle, although we'd need one more contributor at wing from the kiddie corps.

Now, I think this is all academic, because based on Darcy's public statements I think there is no way we are going to trade Briere. I think we are going to cut payroll by dumping Marty as soon as Miller is signed, and then try to sign Danny long term right after Jan. 1. While this increases the risk that we lose him as a UFA, I think that is what TG/LQ/DR have decided on. I also think this is the right move -- Briere, IMHO, is a truly dynamic offensive player who is just entering his prime. Guys like him don't come around very often and you have to try as hard as possible to keep them.

Also, if we are a real cup contender this year (which we absolutely are), Danny playing his butt off in his contract year is going to be a huge force that I want on our side.

Just my opinion.

I hope you're right.

Archived