Jay McKee interview...

syr6987

Great ... one more story about what Darcy "could" have done last summer ... if only he was Kreskin and could see the future he could have given guys 4-year deals ...

I am happy for McKee but the Sabres are going to be just fine without him. And if the Blues have one of the "top 3 groups of D-men in the league" next season, I'll be quite stunned. Jay might be a tad excited there.

After reading that article, I am LESS unhappy about Danny not being signed LT last summer. I'm still not pleased, but I am a little more forgiving now.

Jay stated that Danny was looking for $2.7/ for 4 years. That is more than I would have placed his value on August 4, 2005. I was unhappy about the Sabres not locking him up for 3 years because I would have expected he'd have signed for ~$2.4/yr. Locking in $10.8MM (vs. $7.2MM) looks like chump change now, but with the expectation last season that the salary cap wouldn't rise much or more likely would actually go down, $2.7MM was a lot of $'s for a guy who had only reached 60 points 2 times in his career. The Sabres were pretty adamant last season that they felt there was far too much uncertainty regarding how well fans and $'s would come back to the game for them to give any 4 year deals. Unfortunately, that is a stance that bit them in hindsight.

I'm not saying that I would have been HAPPY with them not getting a LT deal done, had I known what Danny wanted, but I would likely have seen it the way I saw them not giving Jay a LT deal. (Which is, I would have preferred seeing the guy locked up and still would have locked the guy up were it my money (which it wasn't), but understood that there were risks involved in making the LT deal the player would accept and could understand where the Sabres felt the risks of a LT deal outweighed the risks that the ST deal represented. It turns out in hindsight that the LT deals were definitely the way to go, but it wasn't that painfully obvious 1 year ago.)

what stands out in this article the most is that the Sabres could have had Briere for just over half for four seasons of what he is getting now!!!! four seasons at 2.7 million looks like a bargain now!!! " The Sabres front office is seemingly deffinetly going for it" I hope we get it.

Good read...

Who's Garth? And how do we know he's not making the whole thing up? Does he tell the players he talks to that they will be quoted?

Yeah "Garth" scares me a bit ... he's obviously not a pro like some of the guys on that site (and don't say maybe he is but doesn't want his name known, his grammar and spelling leave a lot to be desired) ... and he just seems to want to stir up #%^$#! most of the time. This is a perfect example... if true it is GREAT info, but he presents it in a very confrontational manner toward the Sabres ... I don't know, i guess he's going for the shock value ...

(although I'm not sure Danny would appreciate Jay giving out numbers like that, like PA said, how much of this was off the record? I mean, if this guy had a tape recorder out, would McKee really be spewing numbers like that? and if he DIDN'T record the interview, is he giving direct "quotes" from memory? and yeah, i am sensitve to these things because I am in the business, so to speak)

Yeah "Garth" scares me a bit ... he's obviously not a pro like some of the guys on that site (and don't say maybe he is but doesn't want his name known, his grammar and spelling leave a lot to be desired) ... and he just seems to want to stir up #%^$#! most of the time. This is a perfect example... if true it is GREAT info, but he presents it in a very confrontational manner toward the Sabres ... I don't know, i guess he's going for the shock value ...

(although I'm not sure Danny would appreciate Jay giving out numbers like that, like PA said, how much of this was off the record? I mean, if this guy had a tape recorder out, would McKee really be spewing numbers like that? and if he DIDN'T record the interview, is he giving direct "quotes" from memory? and yeah, i am sensitve to these things because I am in the business, so to speak)

You're the Pred's Zamboni driver?

garth is about as pro-Sabres as you can get though, if you read his posts on their forum and his daily blogs over there.

not saying he might not have an agenda, but it wouldn't seem so...

Archived