Mike York?

deluca67

It seems as though the only leverage the sabres have is that briere was injured, and did not put in a full season's work. We're looking at $5-6 million range here, it seems

If that's true. At least the Sabres have the option to walk away which I hope they take. To tie up that much money is insane. ;)

Briere needs to sign long term, 4 or 5 years. It shows that both sides are in this together.

I can't believe we'd let him walk away for nothing. That makes less sense than paying him. Some of these guys have to get paid, that's the way it is.

Having said that, I'm starting to feel that we could be another 7 years away from almost making the Finals again. Damn injuries.

And how many customers also would walk away? It would be a PR disaster for the Sabres. Not gonna happen.

What's point of having a full building if the contracts you sign the players to cause you to lose money?

A PR disaster is to spend $5 million on an average player, have some injuries and be unable to replace them.

I have yet to see any poster show why Briere is worth the money that's being thrown around. ;)

DeLuca, if the building is full (season sold out), that should be indicative of tremendous fan support, and when there's fan support, corporate support should follow. If you have all that support and still lose money, move the team. But, in Buffalo at least, the fan support will not exist unless the team regularly wins. We've been going back and forth like this for over a year. It's getting tiring. Make a commitment to winning and see the small-market woes go away. It happened in 05-06 and can happen again -- but only if the Sabres don't take a step back. I was hoping they were building something here. Even if Golisano has to lose money this year, it's a price he has to pay. Losing Briere would be just an awful development. The Sabres are already getting ripped in the Sunday letters to the editor for being cheap!

I am amazed at how some people have already forgotten where this team was on June 1. Now some act like losing Briere would be no big deal. McKee and Grier gone? Yawn. Max? Who needs 'im? Scott Arniel, the scouting staff... just go get some more guys. Fans thinking like that is understandable, I guess. But when organizations think that way, it explains all those conference finalists who miss the playoffs the next season. I don't want the Sabres to think that way!

Archived