shouldn't we have known by noon?

Corp000085

Just about 2 30PM on Saturday afternoon, more than 48 hours after the arbitration...

what's the news on Danny Briere?! I hope to God he signs, if he doesn't I'm blamming Quinn because it would be obvious that danny doesn't wanna play for a team w/ a mullet as its logo. :P

Jk, but honestly, Briere better be signed by the end of the day. does he not see the commitment to winning that darcy has shown w/ this off-seasons moves???

yea there has to be something goin on since we havent heard ne thing yet....

In the paper yesterday it said Danny and his family were going on vacation and his agent would handle the talks while waiting for the decision. Maybe he's out on the boat with the boys fishing :P Surely there will be some announcement soon.

Either a deal was reached before noon and it will be announced sometime today. And the fact that Danny is on vacation could explain the delay on it becoming public.

~OR~

the notion of an announcement by noon was an innocent logistical mistake by someone in the Sabres or League offices. If it was just a mistake then perhaps we'll hear something later this evening.

Either a deal was reached before noon and it will be announced sometime today. And the fact that Danny is on vacation could explain the delay on it becoming public.

~OR~

the notion of an announcement by noon was an innocent logistical mistake by someone in the Sabres or League offices. If it was just a mistake then perhaps we'll hear something later this evening.

Not a mistake in the Sabres or League offices, it was a mistake by those of us posting on the board. I'm sure that Briere, York, and Smith know their own status. We just assumed that the results of the arbitration would be made public shortly after the involved teams, players, league reps, and NHLPA reps were informed.

It would be a good thing if the reason there has been no announcement is because a deal was worked out and they want to wait a week or whatever for Danny to come back from vacation. However, that doesn't explain why the 2 Mikes haven't had their deals announced. (Maybe they got a group rate on a hotel in Montreal?)

Not a mistake in the Sabres or League offices, it was a mistake by those of us posting on the board. I'm sure that Briere, York, and Smith know their own status. We just assumed that the results of the arbitration would be made public shortly after the involved teams, players, league reps, and NHLPA reps were informed.

Good point. The reason I said perhaps it was a mistake by someone in the league/Sabres was merely because I've been hearing the "12 noon" time mentioned by some in the press (ie: WGR, Ch. 2), not just on the boards. Thus I figured they were being misinformed by someone.

Maybe they got a group rate on a hotel in Montreal?

Only Mr. Tallinder gets the group rate :D

York's result just came across TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172046&hubname=nhl

$2.85 for one year. He had 52 points on 75 games.

Briere should be anytime now.

I actually thought via the league there was a 48 hour span before the decision was announced. Danny's would have been at noon and York's later in the day, I thought I read someplace it was due by 3. I could be totally wrong, but I thought TSN.ca and/or NHL.com had this published a few days ago. Geeze, maybe I read it here. LOL

In the paper yesterday it said Danny and his family were going on vacation and his agent would handle the talks while waiting for the decision. Maybe he's out on the boat with the boys fishing :P Surely there will be some announcement soon.

Danny must really be eager to sign a deal with Buffalo, He is supposed to go to salary arbitration or work out a larger deal with Buffalo, and he decides its time for a vacation? Isn't there a better time for that Danny?

I don't think the deal has to be anounced to the public by that time, I don't think they have to announce it to the public at all, I believe the time frame is just for the announcement to the club, player and league.

yeah, but we'd know... Somethin's brewing.

Maybe we're just waiting for Briere's buddy to stop nursing his beer, so they can bring the boat back in and clean some fish.

I can play the speculation game.

Another possibilty is that the arbitrator announced the result to the involved parties, and it was favorable to all parties. The Sabres then decided to execute their "walk away" option in order to sign Briere to a long-term contract with similar terms to the arbitration result. Things are kept quiet because Briere would be an UFA before he signed the longer deal.

I did not know that double posts were contracted to a single post. Huh.

Danny must really be eager to sign a deal with Buffalo, He is supposed to go to salary arbitration or work out a larger deal with Buffalo, and he decides its time for a vacation? Isn't there a better time for that Danny?

He went to the hearing and went on vacation. His agent is still doing the wheeling and dealing at this point. He's a phone call or fax away. Oh no......... fax????? Besides, it was in the paper, I didn't see him personally packing his family and going. Plans may have changed.

I actually thought via the league there was a 48 hour span before the decision was announced. Danny's would have been at noon and York's later in the day, I thought I read someplace it was due by 3. I could be totally wrong, but I thought TSN.ca and/or NHL.com had this published a few days ago. Geeze, maybe I read it here. LOL

All three hearings would have been held at 9:00AM. All 3 decisions were supposed to have been announced to the player, team, league, and union by ~12:00 today.

When the team, player, league, and/or union decide to announce the decision is up to them.

Maybe we're just waiting for Briere's buddy to stop nursing his beer, so they can bring the boat back in and clean some fish.

I can play the speculation game.

Another possibilty is that the arbitrator announced the result to the involved parties, and it was favorable to all parties. The Sabres then decided to execute their "walk away" option in order to sign Briere to a long-term contract with similar terms to the arbitration result. Things are kept quiet because Briere would be an UFA before he signed the longer deal.

I did not know that double posts were contracted to a single post. Huh.

While that makes for a nice story that isn't allowed. If the team walks away, they can't re-sign Danny. Under the old CBA, they would have been allowed to re-sign him IF he signed a deal with another team for less than what the Arbitrator awarded him. I'm not certain if that is still allowed under the new CBA.

EDIT: In the new CBA, the player becomes a true UFA. My interpretation is that the team and player can agree to a contract (unlike when a team buys out a player) but the team has no rights of 1st refusal (which they had under the old CBA provided the player signed for 80% or less of the arbitration award - so had they still been under the old system, TB could have matched Carolina's offer to Stillman).

Archived