Salary Arbitration Rules

That Aud Smell

I should know/recall this, but I don't.

Under the new CBA:

(1) Does the arbitrator have discretion to pick the team's offer, the player's demand, or something in between (below? beyond)? Or is it more like baseball where it's a high-low, either-or?

(2) Does the arbitrator have discretion to award (impose?) a one or two year deal, or is that at the club's option? the player's option?

I think i remember dave_b, the board lawyer, saying it is either-or, player or team, no in-between ... and I think he also said something about if a guy is one year from being a UFA (like Briere) he can't be locked into a 2-year deal in arbitration.

dave, where are you?

The arbitrator can rule in favor of the player, the team, or pick something in between.

You are correct that the Sabres can't choose a 2 year deal for Briere. For players that are within 1 season of becoming an UFA, the arbitrator will decide on a 1 year contract.

For players that have more than 1 season as a RFA remaining, the party not filing for arbitration (typically the team) can choose beforehand whether the contract will be for 1 year or 2.

Archived