Rumor Mill...

Goodfella25

Replace Mair with Kotalik or Dumont and you may at least get Keenan's attention.

Agreed, Bouwmeester ain't goin nowhere. And certainly not for a goaltender what would potentially split time with Alex Auld. Mair is a hard working, character player but he isn't putting up all star numbers. Keenan isn't that stupid.

The only reason I brought up Bouwmeester when I started this thread is because he is really the only defenseman I'd want off that team, and I think that's what we have to get for Biron because we don't need any more forwards...sure Jokinen, Olesz, Horton would all be nice but there's no room for them.

Who knows, maybe we can get Gratton back ;)

The only reason I brought up Bouwmeester when I started this thread is because he is really the only defenseman I'd want off that team, and I think that's what we have to get for Biron because we don't need any more forwards...sure Jokinen, Olesz, Horton would all be nice but there's no room for them.

Actually, with Grier and Pyatt gone, and adding atleast one forward into the deal, there would still be room for atleast one forward from Florida in a trade, and still have enough room for a prospect to crack the lineup and one to split time as a healthy scratch.

Plus with arbitration coming up and Regier having to play with a budget, who knows who else might be dealt.

Actually, with Grier and Pyatt gone, and adding atleast one forward into the deal, there would still be room for atleast one forward from Florida in a trade, and still have enough room for a prospect to crack the lineup and one to split time as a healthy scratch.

Plus with arbitration coming up and Regier having to play with a budget, who knows who else might be dealt.

I could see the Sabres trading 1 more forward before the next season starts. As it currently stands, the depth chart looks something like this:

Vanek - Briere - Dumont

Hecht - Drury - Roy

Kotalik - Connolly - Afinogenov

Mair - Gaustad - Pominville

with Peters as one of the designated press box squad and then Novotny, Thorburn, and Ryan all needing to clear waivers to be sent down to Ra-cha-cha. (It looks like Paille doesn't have to clear waivers, so don't be surprised to see him start the year as an Amerk.)

If Connolly is still suffering post-concussion effects, I'd expect to see Novotny and Thorburn with the big club. If Timmy is good to go, I'd expect to see the Sabres keep Novotny and try to sneak Thorburn through waivers.

I'd be surprised if the Sabres brought any other forwards in house, even if one guy does get let go. But I still am intrigued by the possibility of that Draper for Biron rumor. Horton would be interesting as well, although at his low salary and high skill level I don't know how easily he could be pried away.

Archived