Defense and Forward pairings

LabattBlue

Lindy really needs to be careful when matching up his defensive pairs with his forwards. You can't take a line of 3 forwards who are "below average" to "average" at best in their own end and pair them up with Campbell and whomever. This isn't the first time this year that the Sabres have given up a goal after not being able to get out of their zone for 30 seconds or more.

The recent losing streak has given me reason again to wonder whether Lindy has just worn out his welcome. When the effort is so poor, but the talent appears to be adequate, what else do you do?

Lindy really needs to be careful when matching up his defensive pairs with his forwards. You can't take a line of 3 forwards who are "below average" to "average" at best in their own end and pair them up with Campbell and whomever. This isn't the first time this year that the Sabres have given up a goal after not being able to get out of their zone for 30 seconds or more.

The recent losing streak has given me reason again to wonder whether Lindy has just worn out his welcome. When the effort is so poor, but the talent appears to be adequate, what else do you do?

It it the Coach? Or the Players? Or the GM?

There was more then enough chances for Darcy to sure up the blueline. He went cheap. He picked up a couple of scrubs, Teppo and Lydman, and many of you bought it. It's not going to get much better. There is nothing on the farm coming up and free agents don't want to play for the Sabres. It's up to Golisano to make the move and bring in a real "hockey guy" to run this team. Purge the roster and start over.

The Sabres are in need of an image change. They need to make this a Franchise players want to play for. And a team people want to pay to see. Neither is happening right now.

And a Big Thank You to the Habs who brought their own fans to the arena. It's the only way the Sabres can sell out.

Lindy wore out his welcome 3 years ago.

It it the Coach? Or the Players? Or the GM?

There was more then enough chances for Darcy to sure up the blueline. He went cheap. He picked up a couple of scrubs, Teppo and Lydman, and many of you bought it. It's not going to get much better. There is nothing on the farm coming up and free agents don't want to play for the Sabres. It's up to Golisano to make the move and bring in a real "hockey guy" to run this team. Purge the roster and start over.

The Sabres are in need of an image change. They need to make this a Franchise players want to play for. And a team people want to pay to see. Neither is happening right now.

And a Big Thank You to the Habs who brought their own fans to the arena. It's the only way the Sabres can sell out.

Darcy has got the franchise on the brink of imploding.

He's built a place where no free agent wants to sign, the scouting is poor, and the talent development is worse, but what REALLY takes the cake, is that he consistently lets what little talent we DO have, walk without getting as much as a draft pick in return.

Darcy would fail a business 101 course miserably.

i don't like losing the last few games, but my take on it is that we just lost our last two games to the two best teams in the conference.

it is what it is...this is not a stanley cup contender despite the initial strong start. we did not make off-season moves but you can either lie around and bitch and complain, or enjoy the product. i've missed the last few games, but win or loss, for the most part i liked the way the team played in october.

i've learned to lessen my expectations this year. we are weak at D and still figuring out our goaltending although it looks like Miller is going to step up.

i can't wait to watch the progress of Vanek, how hard Briere plays despite his size, and how much of a role player that Gastaud will develop in to.

we're not watching the philly flyers guys a team built to win now. this does not mean i'm settling for mediocrity. i just know what we are getting this year and the foundation put in place.

But a foundation is just a slab of conrete unless you build something on it, which isn't gonna happen.

People have been saying that The Sabres have the foundation of something for years and years now. Is it ever going to go beyond being a foundation?

They don't need to build a Stanley Cup contender, but a team that doesn't take nights off would be a start.

And yes Montreal and Ottawa are excellent teams. Washington are crap, and The Devils sure ain't what the used to be either.

But a foundation is just a slab of conrete unless you build something on it, which isn't gonna happen.

People have been saying that The Sabres have the foundation of something for years and years now. Is it ever going to go beyond being a foundation?

They don't need to build a Stanley Cup contender, but a team that doesn't take nights off would be a start.

And yes Montreal and Ottawa are excellent teams. Washington are crap, and The Devils sure ain't what the used to be either.

If the team goes 6-4 over each 10 game segment of the season as they did over the 1st 10 games, they will have 96 points with 2 games to go. That should be good enough for a playoff spot.

The Sabres are what they are, a decent team with good team speed. Ottawa is a team that is quicker than them and Montreal is as quick. The Sabres will struggle against these 2 teams, but there aren't any other teams in the East that I think are quicker than them.

That does not mean the Sabres will beat every other team in the East, nor does it mean that they will necessarily lose tonight in Montreal. Montreal, for whatever reason, does not play as well at home as they do on the road. If Buffalo plays the way they did last night, they should be able to win the game, especially if they can keep their 1st 30 minute intensity level up all 60 minutes as Montreal has not been the same 3rd period juggernaut at home that they have been on the road.

It's a long season. A 96-100 point season will have 32 or so losses. Being fans, we will look at each of those games and see something the Sabres did wrong to lose. It's more likely that in a lot of those games, the loss will be due to something the other guys did right.

If the team goes 6-4 over each 10 game segment of the season as they did over the 1st 10 games, they will have 96 points with 2 games to go. That should be good enough for a playoff spot.

The Sabres are what they are, a decent team with good team speed. Ottawa is a team that is quicker than them and Montreal is as quick. The Sabres will struggle against these 2 teams, but there aren't any other teams in the East that I think are quicker than them.

That does not mean the Sabres will beat every other team in the East, nor does it mean that they will necessarily lose tonight in Montreal. Montreal, for whatever reason, does not play as well at home as they do on the road. If Buffalo plays the way they did last night, they should be able to win the game, especially if they can keep their 1st 30 minute intensity level up all 60 minutes as Montreal has not been the same 3rd period juggernaut at home that they have been on the road.

It's a long season. A 96-100 point season will have 32 or so losses. Being fans, we will look at each of those games and see something the Sabres did wrong to lose. It's more likely that in a lot of those games, the loss will be due to something the other guys did right.

Dave, you yourself mention the 30 min effort last night, and that is my main gripe with this team as it has been for years.

They quite simply appear to be lazy. I have stated on many occasions, maybe not on this board though, that I will have absolutely no problem with the team losing if they at least put forth a decent effort. Yet the effort, on way too many nights, just isn't there. Or it isn't there for 60 minutes. I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable.

I of course realise that you cannot have an 84 (is it 84 this year?) game season and come out firing every night, of course not. But not coming out against the worst and best teams in the league with 4 days off is inexcusable.

I don't hate the team, I love them. But I do indeed hate their management and effort - or lack thereof.

Is Briere really the only Sabre with a pair this year, or does this run even deeper? I'm enclined to think it's got something to do with the coach, and how the players respond to him.

It comes down to this. Are the Sabres a playoff team? I look at the roster and say "NO".

Miller, Briere, Kalinin, Vanek and Kotalik Are keepers. The rest of the lineup you can toss in the trash. Drury, Connolly, Pyatt, Teppo, Lydman are all overpaid busts. Right there is $8 million dollars of wasted salary.

The Sabres will be .500 or slightly better. Which is not enough for the playoffs in the East.

What is the offical Sabre Cap amount right now? What is the floor. I thought it was $25 million. I've been searching and can't find the info.

What is the offical Sabre Cap amount right now? What is the floor. I thought it was $25 million. I've been searching and can't find the info.

Prior to the recent IR'ings and callups, the Sabres were at ~$27.7MM. They are roughly 25th in the league in total payroll.

The league minimum is ~$21MM and the Caps have the lowest payroll around $23MM.

It comes down to this. Are the Sabres a playoff team? I look at the roster and say "NO".

Miller, Briere, Kalinin, Vanek and Kotalik Are keepers. The rest of the lineup you can toss in the trash. Drury, Connolly, Pyatt, Teppo, Lydman are all overpaid busts. Right there is $8 million dollars of wasted salary.

The Sabres will be .500 or slightly better. Which is not enough for the playoffs in the East.

Agree on the bust list, Drury especially is 3 mill. down the toilet unless he starts putting up some numbers.

Pyatt should be on waivers.

Were did you find that info?

I found the data about a month ago from a couple of different sites. Never could find team by team data but did find individual player salaries. Cross referenced that with line ups to come up with team by team data.

NJ has the highest payroll at ~$38.9MM not counting Elias. When he is ready to come off IR they will have to make some other roster moves as he will put them up at $43MM which is well over the salary cap.

Detroit will also have issues with cap when their players get healthy as I have them just over $39MM with everyone healthy.

The info I posted about the Caps salary does not include whatever they are paying the Rangers for Jagr as I have not been able to find out how much of his salary they are paying. The next lowest payroll in Minnesota at ~$25MM.

Lindy wore out his welcome 3 years ago.

agreed... but some how he keeps getting resigned... i don't understand it... this is ridicilous... its like the mob... the only way out is death.... and ruff isn't old enough just retire or just fall over dead... were stuck with him as long as quinn and regier are up in the office.

not ruff, it doesnt help that as soon as biron or noronen step in goal the amount of goals we score half. maybe the players dont trust biron so they play a worse, more defensive, game. with miller, and a fresh start, we did alot better. thats why i said get rid of biron AND noronen and get another, a vet in, to play backup.

but anyway, it seems as if our team's performance has picked up, we just need to prove it against the Hurricanes, who are better than many years previous.

Prior to the recent IR'ings and callups, the Sabres were at ~$27.7MM. They are roughly 25th in the league in total payroll.

The league minimum is ~$21MM and the Caps have the lowest payroll around $23MM.

Another cap consideration to keep in mind is that we can still bulk up the roster at the trading deadline. The Hockey News quoted Bill Daly a few weeks ago saying that if you add players at the deadline, you can exceed the cap on paper, as long as salaries for the year are under the cap.

Now of course they still have to be in good shape when the deadline rolls around...

Another cap consideration to keep in mind is that we can still bulk up the roster at the trading deadline.  The Hockey News quoted Bill Daly a few weeks ago saying that if you add players at the deadline, you can exceed the cap on paper, as long as salaries for the year are under the cap.

Now of course they still have to be in good shape when the deadline rolls around...

Good point. Pat Quinn of the Leafs, if I understood him correctly, stated that the Leafs are planning on sending guys that can go to the minors down to the Marlies on Leaf off days (or maybe it was on days he knew they would not be dressing) to save cap room.

Another cap consideration to keep in mind is that we can still bulk up the roster at the trading deadline. The Hockey News quoted Bill Daly a few weeks ago saying that if you add players at the deadline, you can exceed the cap on paper, as long as salaries for the year are under the cap.

What do you mean "exceed on paper"?

I'm not sure if I follow?

What do you mean "exceed on paper"?

I'm not sure if I follow?

What he means is that apparently the $39MM cap is a full season limit, not an individual point in time limit.

For simplicity, let's say players get paid 10 times / season and the cap is $40MM. A team that had a payroll of $38MM through most of the season would have spent $34.2MM through the 1st 9 paychecks. They would have $5.8MM left to spend during the final pay period. This would be equivalent to a full season $58MM payroll.

As I still have not been able to find a copy of the new CBA, this is speculation on my part as to one way the cap may work. The speculation is based on comments I have heard from Pat Quinn and those posted by Hopelessly. I had previously believed the cap was a firm point in time cap, that was based on Philadelphia trading Roenick away for a bag of pucks to fit Forsberg under the cap.

It is also possible, and more likely, that the way the cap works is a team cannot project to breaking the cap at any given point in time. Example - a team had a $35MM payroll through the 1st half of the season. They would have $17.5MM spent and (under the ficticious $40MM cap) would have $22.5MM left to spend during the rest of the season. They would not be able to pick up a player that would raise their 6th payroll above $4.5MM as that would project them above the $40MM. They could sign someone that brings the 6th payroll to anything below $4.5MM as that would project them to stay under the $40MM cap.

My guess is that the cap is a "projection from this point forward cap", but that is only speculation.

What he means is that apparently the $39MM cap is a full season limit, not an individual point in time limit.

For simplicity, let's say players get paid 10 times / season and the cap is $40MM. A team that had a payroll of $38MM through most of the season would have spent $34.2MM through the 1st 9 paychecks. They would have $5.8MM left to spend during the final pay period. This would be equivalent to a full season $58MM payroll.

As I still have not been able to find a copy of the new CBA, this is speculation on my part as to one way the cap may work. The speculation is based on comments I have heard from Pat Quinn and those posted by Hopelessly. I had previously believed the cap was a firm point in time cap, that was based on Philadelphia trading Roenick away for a bag of pucks to fit Forsberg under the cap.

It is also possible, and more likely, that the way the cap works is a team cannot project to breaking the cap at any given point in time. Example - a team had a $35MM payroll through the 1st half of the season. They would have $17.5MM spent and (under the ficticious $40MM cap) would have $22.5MM left to spend during the rest of the season. They would not be able to pick up a player that would raise their 6th payroll above $4.5MM as that would project them above the $40MM. They could sign someone that brings the 6th payroll to anything below $4.5MM as that would project them to stay under the $40MM cap.

My guess is that the cap is a "projection from this point forward cap", but that is only speculation.

Isn't that how all caps work?

not ruff, it doesnt help that as soon as biron or noronen step in goal the amount of goals we score half. maybe the players dont trust biron so they play a worse, more defensive, game. with miller, and a fresh start, we did alot better. thats why i said get rid of biron AND noronen and get another, a vet in, to play backup.

but anyway, it seems as if our team's performance has picked up, we just need to prove it against the Hurricanes, who are better than many years previous.

remeber the last time we got a veteran back up... Backwards Bobby E... didn't win a game that whole season... poor bastard...

remeber the last time we got a veteran back up... Backwards Bobby E... didn't win a game that whole season... poor bastard...

Yeah, but in true Ruff spirit, he only got 8 starts or something, so he wasn't exactly given much of a chance. He was brought in as a backup I realise that, but even backups get rusty.

Archived