Awards Show Thread

Corp000085

tonight, 8pm, OLN.

Lets use this thread to consolidate the discussion for the show tonight. I believe lindy is the only sabre up for an award (jack adams award). I'll bein the chatroom too... Consider tonight the very absolute end of the landmark 2005-2006 season for the buffalo sabres and NHL.

running commentary:

8:00pm--the show is beginning, and i'm pleased to report that its a CBC simulcast on oln... the red carpet intro including, thank god, another look at rod the bod. i haven't seen enough of him this week, so i'm glad that he's on the tv again tonight.

8:04--ovechkin and crosby are being interviewed. um, they can stop beating the crosby love down our throats. after 82 regular season games, we know that he's just a young kid with a lot to learn. ovechkin is the real deal though. too bad both play on sucky teams.

8:09--some non funny commedian (will sasso or something like that) with some FUGLY vancouver chicks. damn

8:15--, starring the cbc guy and jordan and eric staal. this show is moving up on the entertainment scale. we're almost at the NFL draft, day 2 level.

8:19--"Wild Over" smirnoff ice commercial... reminds me of the good old days of kicking the senators ass.

8:26--YES! We've finally finished the pre-ceremony show and we've entered the inspirational video/crappy live song section of the show. lots of crosby love as well as some jagr, thorton, and yes, more rod. the nhl can always use more rod.. Also, we have some confirmation that Ted Nolan is in the house, as he's presenting the jack adams award.

8:31--ron mcclain is the host, wearing a referee striped suit. Apparently the guy singing in the video montage was tom cochrane of the "life is a highway" fame from 92. Horrid jokes. i can't even mock this crap. brind'amour looks like a valet.

8:37--and if the canes weren't a slap to the face of traditional hockey teams, they actually dropped and BROKE the bowl of the stanley cup.

8:40--lester b. pearson award, presented by gretzky. jagr, ovechkin, thorton winner--the czech mullet, jaromir jagr.

8:44--lady byng award, presented by 2 olympic hockey chicks. nominees: datsuk, marleau, richards winner--pavel datsuk (accepted by mike babcock, yet he's not here either, so it goes to nobody)

8:46--jack adams award, presented by marc crawford and ted nolan. Nolan gets a nice round. he's making jokes about him winning the award. nominees: labiolette, tom renney, LINDY RUFF. winner: LINDY RUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he thanks everyone in the organization. "its not about the name on the back, its the crest on the front"

8:50something--vezina goes to mika kipprosof.

kipprosov gets the jennings too. some 8 year old calgary fan in full goalie gear accepts the award.

selane gets the masterson award.

its 9, and we're halfway done with the worst 2 hours of television EVER!

bla bla bla, i watched the rest of the show. it basically sucked. Nolan got a great round of applause for appearing... He and ruff shook hands and seemed pleasant. I'm so happy for lindy ruff for the personal achievement of being named coach of the year. It was interesting to see tha tthorton snubbed the bruins after his heart trophy win.

I'm hopeful for Lindy since the voting was done before the playoffs began and no one knew that Lav was going to win the cup. The other side of that coin is that no one got to see how far Lindy took this team into the playoffs... and how far they went with an AHL defense (into the 3rd period of game 7 against the eventual cup winners).

Still I think the regular season Sabres were impressive enough given what the national expectations were.

Since these awards have nothing to do with the playoffs, let me just say that lindy sooooooo has the edge... This team was projected to be fighting out the #1 pick with the penguins... Projected to absolutely suck... Projected to have a bunch of floaters... etc. Well, 52 wins later, a franchise record, this team had no superstars... just a great goalie and a sh-- load of 20 goal scoring nonames. They won 52 games, placing 4th overall not because they were 4th best, but only because they had more games end up in OT than the top team. Not to mention the human story to lindy. His daughter had a tumor on her brain and, had it been cancerous, the tumor would have killed her in a matter of months if not days. Luckily it was benign. Lindy Ruff is the Coach of the Year in my book, on any page, on any day of the week. Tonight he becomes a Jack Adams Award winner too.

(also, the hockey writers might take some votes from PL and give them to the other guys because of his coaching "performance" in the olympics.)

All signs lead to ruff.

I just have to say I was getting so tired hearing everyone going on about Nolan giving ou the award and how it would be acward if Lindy one it cause he replaced Nolan. Why would it be? Its not like Lindy was the reason for Nolan getting the boot, or that he was there trying to push Nolan out so he could get the job. The team fired Nolan and Lindy was hired afterwards as the replacement. I doubt either has a problem with each other.

So I guess now that Lindy won the award, the sabres will be giving him the pink slip soon? Maybe he slept with Millers mom?, Or nailed Regiers daughter? or Has a drug problem?

Archived