The Milt Ellis Jukebox...

elcrusho

This is the first time I saw this

Thanks to Orange Seats for making me look for his avatar on google and finding this...

Man I used to love hearing his voice at the Aud when I was a kid...

History for you youngings....

wow I eve heard Ricky J in one of those interviews from WNSA haha wonder what Ricky J is doing these days...

That Milt Ellis page brought back huge memories for me. My name is Randy Rock Johnson, and I work for a Classic Rock station in Harrisburg PA called WTPA. I also have a side gig as PA Announcer for the Hershey Bears. Growing up in Buffalo I, too, loved hearing Milt's deep, authoritative voice, and I actually wanted to grow up and be the PA guy at the Aud just like him. Nowadays, PA announcers, myself included, do this high-octane, Metallica-on-steroids thing when the home team scores a goal or does something else exciting. It's almost too much. But during penalty calls, visiting team goal calls, and during the introduction of the anthem singer, I always try to do my best Milt Ellis impression. It's funny. I vowed to never to become a message-board poster. But every time somebody walks down memory lane on this site and starts waxing poetic about anything involving Memorial Auditorium, I am instantly transfered back to my childhood. So many good memories come back to me. Does anybody remember the post-game tradition of cup-popping? The two main memories I have of the Aud are, 1)-The permanent fraternity basement-like aroma that was a mixture of nicotine, wet popcorn, and stale beer, and 2)-Cup-popping. As kids, we always looked for empty soda cups after the game was over. Back then, drinks were served in the old wax-coated paper cups. You turned the cup upside down and slammed your foot down on the bottom. The cup would make this explosion sound that sounded like a pop gun. My childhood friend Chris Poette was the best at it. He could pop a cup and have it sound like a M-16. What a great old barn that place was.

PS-3rd great memory of the Aud. Walking back to your car under the bridge next to the Aud. There were no lights under the bridge, and it was pitch black. If you didn't leave with the rest of the crowd after the 3 Stars, you took your life into your hands because you couldn't see a damn thing.

Well now that your message board cherry has been popped... haha... continue posting! That was a great post. Wait till Fushetti reads this. He will want to marry you. He's obsessed with Uncle Miltie and PA announcers and anthem singers in general. Ask him about the day he met John Gurgler in Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt in Lackawannatowaga.

The odor I associate with the Aud is the smell of the glossy paper the programs were printed on. That's the smell of hockey. Plus, whatever the people smelled like who were jammed into the lobby like cattle waiting for the gates to open. Usually, it was not an objectionable smell. Usually.

Well now that your message board cherry has been popped... haha... continue posting! That was a great post. Wait till Fushetti reads this. He will want to marry you. He's obsessed with Uncle Miltie and PA announcers and anthem singers in general. Ask him about the day he met John Gurgler in Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt in Lackawannatowaga.

The odor I associate with the Aud is the smell of the glossy paper the programs were printed on. That's the smell of hockey. Plus, whatever the people smelled like who were jammed into the lobby like cattle waiting for the gates to open. Usually, it was not an objectionable smell. Usually.

ahahahahahahhaha. Youre the man PA.

The Aud had the best smell ever. It will never be duplicated. Can you believe its been over 10 years now that its been closed?

I'm obsessed wth PA announcers and anthem singers? HEY! KEISHA ADAMCZYK DID BLOSSOM BEFORE MY EYES OK?

Mothers Day 1998.... Matt Barnaby scores three and Fushetti meets the worst PA man this side of...well this side of anywhere. Gurtler was #%^$#!ing horrible...and he continues to be on every Ford commercial or any call at the Ralph... The gayest part of it was that I called PASabrefan to share the news.

New radio guy... I stood outside the Aud many a time when I was in my teens (in the early to mid 90's) well after the three stars were called and never felt my life was in danger. I stood there mostly because my mother was passed out on the couch and forgot I was downtown shivering and waiting for a ride back to Lackawanna.

My brother is trying to fanagle a private tour of Memorial Auditorium for my wedding present... He is big with the democrats and worked to get Brown elected as Buffalo's mayor. I hope it pans out. I'll post some pics! ;)

I hope I'm invited for that private tour...

wink wink nudge nudge

Only if u bring the El Crusho Cup, wear blue and gold, and paint your face to match the colors of the seats. Your chin gold, your mouth and nose red, your eye area blue and your forehead orange...

Those are the rules. OH, plus you need to actually get Uncle Miltie to come give us an audio tour.

Archived