Buffalo News article

hopeleslyobvious

Day 1? John Rigas founded Adelphia back in the 50s.

The subject of John Rigas and the Sabres is an interesting one. I know Rigas is a villain to most fans, but I don't know if the team's bankruptcy can be blamed on the Adelphia scandal alone. Were not the Sabres losing money long before Rigas arrived on the scene? Was it not Rigas' money (Adelphia's?) that bailed the Sabres out in 1995 or 1996, before he officially became owner in the late 90s? In hindsight, I guess it was dirty money that Rigas was using to fund the operation of the Sabres, but I always thought Rigas had his heart in the right place. I think he did love this team and this community and wanted to bring a Cup to Buffalo in the worst way.

For all the talk about ridding the Sabres of "Adelphia colors" -- the notion of which is wrong, I think -- I will always remember the Rigas Years as good ones. A new building, Ted Nolan, Lindy Ruff, long playoff runs, Dominik Hasek, Mike Peca, Empire... I think that's what fans should focus on.

For all the talk about ridding the Sabres of "Adelphia colors" -- the notion of which is wrong, I think -- I will always remember the Rigas Years as good ones. A new building, Ted Nolan, Lindy Ruff, long playoff runs, Dominik Hasek, Mike Peca, Empire... I think that's what fans should focus on.

Bring back the Blue and Gold baby!

Day 1? John Rigas founded Adelphia back in the 50s.

The subject of John Rigas and the Sabres is an interesting one. I know Rigas is a villain to most fans, but I don't know if the team's bankruptcy can be blamed on the Adelphia scandal alone. Were not the Sabres losing money long before Rigas arrived on the scene? Was it not Rigas' money (Adelphia's?) that bailed the Sabres out in 1995 or 1996, before he officially became owner in the late 90s? In hindsight, I guess it was dirty money that Rigas was using to fund the operation of the Sabres, but I always thought Rigas had his heart in the right place. I think he did love this team and this community and wanted to bring a Cup to Buffalo in the worst way.

Yes, he was taking money since the day he founded the company. The only difference was that it was legal. Once the company went public, then it became a problem.

I've always viewed John Regas as a guy who got caught up doing things the old way. The real villains in the deal were his sons (was it one or two that were also arrested).

Archived