Some good news about tomorrows game

apuszczalowski

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167133&hubname=

Looks like Teppo might be good to go, he says that he skated the longest he has been able to since the injury this morning and said if the game was tonight he would have taken the pre-game skate and been a game time decission

Ruff says he may fit Mair back into the lineup tomorrow too since he has been cleared to play, it may give the offence a bit of a boost if he can come back.

Bad news though as it looks like Ruff has changed his opinion on Timmy and says it doesn't look like he'll be back this series as his condition does seem like its improving much. Personnally since I saw the injury, I have though he is done for the year atleast.

Another little tidbit, looks like Ruff believes the d looked pretty good and laid most of the blame on not being able to finish (or on the forwards basically) and said after reviewing the game, the d looked ok. (which is true, they weren't a top team defence, but they didn't look like a bunch of rookies out there) After hearing those comment Briere said he believes that it was the D cause the forwards spen the start of the game trying to be more conservative and hanging back to help the defence just in case (which is no way to win a game when you don't have the lead) Ruff said that if thats the way the forwards think, then he has to set them straight and do his job of letting them know they don't have to hang back to help them

(that last paragraph was in my own qords, not exactly how they said it in the article)

Perhaps it WAS on the defense, but not because of poor play on defense. Perhaps it was due to their lack of contribution on offense??? We have been getting a lot of help from back there on the score board...

Perhaps it WAS on the defense, but not because of poor play on defense. Perhaps it was due to their lack of contribution on offense??? We have been getting a lot of help from back there on the score board...

...that is exactly what I have thought SDS. The key for this team is generating speed up ice and our d right now is not capable of making the key up-ice pass and/or making the decision to bring it up ice themselves. (basically just NOT throwing it around the boards..) and i don't blame these guys. they are mostly kids/inexperienced and it takes a lot of experience and skill to learn to bring the puck ice and/or hitting your forward over the middle...

...that is exactly what I have thought SDS. The key for this team is generating speed up ice and our d right now is not capable of making the key up-ice pass and/or making the decision to bring it up ice themselves. (basically just NOT throwing it around the boards..) and i don't blame these guys. they are mostly kids/inexperienced and it takes a lot of experience and skill to learn to bring the puck ice and/or hitting your forward over the middle...

I think of the 2 goals they had in game 1 and IMHO, that goes in the loss column w/o their contributions to the scoreboard.

My feeling after watching game 4 was also that we just didn't finish.

My girlfriend asked me last night what I thought about game 4. When I said that, she was rather surprised. She thought I was going to say it was the D, and was wondering why I didn't say so.

Taking into account the strategy we are employing, especially in the first period, I thought we played well, but we didn't finish like Carolina did.

That game could have easily been 4-4 after the first. Remember, the Sabres lately have been playing for the fast breaks from their own zone. We got them many times turning into great chances versus Gerber, but we just couldn't get it past him. One downfall to playing the way we do, relying on fast breaks on the opposing goaltender, is that if he's having a hot night, its going to be hard for us to keep scoring with the other team. It provides the other team with momentum as well.

I think Gerber had a helluva performance and thats the main reason why Carolina won game 4. While our defense wasn't as good as it was in previoius games, it wasn't bad at all, and fit in nicely with our gameplan.

Hopefully tonight everyone is back on the same page, and the forwards do a much better job of finishing their opportunities. This team has always been about fast break skating and finishing their chances this year, and they did a bad job of it in game 4. I do expect them to comeback however, and it would be a big boost if Teppo was back to our forwards confidence.

You can't blame the defence for not producing on offence though, there job is not in that part of the ice, the offence is supposed to get the goals, and in game 4, they didn't do that

The D can't be blamed for not producing goals. But I think that they have needed to change the team strategy to accomodate the fact the Fitzy, and JJ don't have the same skills to make the pass out of our zone up the the forwards as start the transition. It looks like they have gone to dumping the puck out and back to Carolina who just dumps it back in the forechecks the poo out of us. As a result, the adjustment hasn't been that smooth and are part of the reason for the losses.

Archived