WGR

inkman

A technical genious I am not, but the streaming audio of WGR was not in synch with the game on OLN. Is this impossible to do? Was the radio signal timed correctly or was it a problem with both? I'm a pretty fickle customer, and I won't tune into WGR for the rest of my 6-7 hours a day if they just forgot to do it.

Yeah, it was definitely not in synch where I was. We were very disappointed by that but the game itself ended up disappointing me more so I forgot about it. That said if you're going to constantly air commercials hyping the synch up you really should try your best to actually succeed at doing so. And since the games have been successfully synched up before in this playoff run, I'm curious why it wasn't so for last night. Maybe the equipment took a dump.

IIRC they are planning on synching it to the CBC broadcast because supposedly more people have access to it rather than OLN.

I was kicking this around with my brother, and we came up with a possible workaround - it involves a DVR and a computer.

-tune into the Rick 'n Jim broadcast via internet streaming'

-use the DVR to delay the video feed until it is synched with the stream. The stream is around 1 min. behind IIRC, so it should be possible with a bit of fussing around.

I haven't actually tried it yet, but there is an idea for anyone who is interested in trying it out.

The radio is synched pretty well within a few minutes of the game start. The online streaming cannot be synched because your computer buffers (delays) it partially depending on your connection. A coworker and I in the same office both stream it during the day and mine can be up to 90 seconds off of his. There is no way for GR to synchronize the streaming so everyone hears the same thing at the same time.

It works pretty well! I've got the laptop cranking out Rick and Jim while watching the OLN feed on my DirectTV Tivo unit. Using the Tivo, I've rewound back to where the online stream synchs up with the video. It sounds like the usual tinny stream, but it works, and I get to listen to Rick instead of the OLN guys!! It does take a little bit of attention now and then too, esp after commercials. Not perfect, but not bad either!

Archived