It's time to break the mold

deluca67

This entire year, this team has broken the mold of every Buffalo sports team that has preceded it. They came from nowhere, expected to do nothing and were one of the best teams in the NHL.

They were favored to beat the Flyers, but everyone thought so with the idea that if they do lose, it was a good year anyhow. Except for two games in Philly, where the officials went back the old way, the Flyers were outgunned, outmanned, and overwhelmed.

The Sens were the team to beat as soon as the Red Wings lost to the Oilers. Before this series started (so I don't see how things have changed now) they had the best defense in hockey, and the scariest offense. The Sabres skated up and down the ice with them in Game 1 and outgunned them, Emery or not.

These are the same Sens that were number one in offense and number three in defense in the entire NHL this season. Don't give me any talk about their playoff failures, they played the Sabres three times, so that might have something to do with it.

So let's finally, as fans, break our mold instead of worrying about what might happen, let's enjoy what's going to happen.

I'm not saying be Phillyfan - no racial slurs, death threats or cups of urine. Let's do this Buffalo-style - crispy with alot of hot sauce. :P

Well said Tobias. I posted before the playoffs that I felt this team was different from any other Buffalo team and that -- as fans -- we should treat them differently.

Like you said, don't worry because when all is said and done, there will be nothing to worry about.

As a life-long masochistic fan of the Cubs, Bills, and Sabres, I am about as quintessentially snake-bitten and superstitious as any average Buffalo fan. But, for the first time ever, that part of my brain that normally goes haywire during the playoffs, anticipating the worst, is silent this year. Yeah, I've suffered through The Crease, Wide Right, Music City Miracle, and Steve Bartman, yet for the first time ever, there is a calm. This Sabres team is unlike any team I've ever had the luck to support. They do everything right from skating well and playing as a team, to making clutch plays at crucial times to win big games.

This team reminds me a bit of the Patriots in the NFL, where you have a good collection of non-superstars who buy into a system play hard and are hard to kill in the post-season. I don't care how far this ride takes us fans, but I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it.

You've got me beat. I've been a Bills, Sabres, and Red Sox fan all my life. Sorry aboout Bartman. I remember a particulalrly low point in life as fan in 2003 when I swore off sports. The logic went something like this: Wide Right, Lost helmet, No Goal, Music City Forward Pass, Phantom Goal, Colorado Rockies (vs. Bisons expansion), 1918, and then on top it all comes Aaron F'in Boone in the 11th of game 7 in the ALCS.

Hey, the Sox did it in 04. It was so hard to believe it was happening. I feel something similar with this team, like when Timmay! threw that backhand in game 1 against the Sens to send the game into overtime only seconds after Smolinski patted himself on the back for scoring. Its great. I'm loving every second of it.

Ugh. Is it Saturday yet?

As a life-long masochistic fan of the Cubs, Bills, and Sabres, I am about as quintessentially snake-bitten and superstitious as any average Buffalo fan.

Ouch, that even beats me being an Indians fan. Been a long time for both teams.

These replies remind me of the movie 'Little Giants'. When they are down 21-0 to the Cowboys and are ready to quit. Then the coach gives the 'One Time' speech.

So I say "Why not the Sabres" and "Why not Buffalo". I'm tired of people from WNY putting themselves and the sports teams down. We have the best team left in the 'Final Four' and I am going to enjoy it no matter what. No more waiting until it's over.

I do not have confirmation on this it's just something I heard at work. But there have been a lot of Sabre jerseys sold in Carolina the past week. The Sabres may be walking into a pair of extra "home" games this weekend. I myself know of several former WNYers who will be at game 1 + 2.

Let's GO Buffalo! :D

These replies remind me of the movie 'Little Giants'. When they are down 21-0 to the Cowboys and are ready to quit. Then the coach gives the 'One Time' speech.

So I say "Why not the Sabres" and "Why not Buffalo". I'm tired of people from WNY putting themselves and the sports teams down. We have the best team left in the 'Final Four' and I am going to enjoy it no matter what. No more waiting until it's over.

I do not have confirmation on this it's just something I heard at work. But there have been a lot of Sabre jerseys sold in Carolina the past week. The Sabres may be walking into a pair of extra "home" games this weekend. I myself know of several former WNYers who will be at game 1 + 2.

Not too far fetched considering all the WNY ex-patriots that are down there... Isn't it the number one destination of people fleeing the Buffalo area?

:D :D

Archived