Does Max try too hard?

Orange Seats

Honestly, Max has been missing open nets all year long, continuing a career long trend for him.

How many did he score this year, 22? Not bad at all, and with all the assists he got it's certainly been a great season for him, BUT :

It doesn't change the fact that he's flat out one of the worst finishers I EVER saw. Rarely can he even get the puck off the ice on a wristshot, he misses wide open cages on a regular basis, and when he DOES score it's either cause

A. The goalie's gone on the play, i.e. a two-on-one or the likes.

or

B. The goalie allows a softie.

I cannot remember the last time I saw Max beat a goalie flat out with a great shot, probably cause he never did.

That said though, he creates openings with his speed alone, and seeing as he's picked up his defensive play as well, he's certainly not the liability he was in the past.

But he will never be a guy to send out on a penaltyshot, he'll never bury a 3rd period breakaway unless the goalie goes for a piss, and he'll never bury a clean wrister shortside, top corner.

Max is Max, sometimes he does something brilliant the leads to a goal, and sometimes he'll miss a wide open net or a breakaway :-)

Max was 3 for 5 in shootouts this year, which led our team (most goals and best percentage) ... I think Lindy was disagree with you there!

That fact does seem to run counter to my observations of him, game in and game out. He is a fantastic skater and puck-handler but still lacks the ability to finish consistently. Maybe it is asking too much to combine what he can do on the ice and with the puck with the ability to finish, but one without the other is frustrating.

Max was 3 for 5 in shootouts this year, which led our team (most goals and best percentage) ... I think Lindy was disagree with you there!

Lol, well I'll give you that.

But then again, those penaltyshots are shootouts with one point secured - The point I was trying to make, although I probably didn't express myself too well, is that Max isn't the guy you send out on a penaltyshot with 2 mins to go in the 3rd of game 7, with the score tied 1-1.

He seems to stress like hell in open play, which makes him, if not a poor then at least an awkward finisher.

He's so determined, and can put together beautiful shots and passes, but lately he seems almost like he's trying to force a square peg in a round hole or something. He seems frustrated and it's making him miss open nets!

It seems like when Max gets frustrated, he does start trying to do it all himself - when he got hot at the end of the regular season, he was using his teammates and setting up a lot of plays with his passing & playmaking. Now he seems determined to go end-to-end and beat the whole team himself. I think he just needs to take a step back and start using his teammates more. He is due to break out in the playoffs, so hopefully he can crank it up Saturday & knock the Sens out...

He's so determined, and can put together beautiful shots and passes, but lately he seems almost like he's trying to force a square peg in a round hole or something. He seems frustrated and it's making him miss open nets!

Let's hope he finds his touch before Alfredson does. That guy really is fvcking up

Max isn't a great finisher, but he is great on breakaways. He is certainly biased towards deking the goaltender, but it works. The same ability to change direction works on goaltenders like it works on defensemen. With a breakaway, he only needs to beat 1, as opposed to 5.

He has improved his finish and also his ability to use his teammates.

Alfredsson vs. Max? Alfredsson shows no desperation. He fears the corners. Max doesn't.

Anyone hear Bryan Murray's words about Max? How will the Sens contain him? Let him play on the road. Hope Max saw that.

I am happy he has finally started to develop as a playmaker. He might never be a great finisher, but if he can put up 20-25 a year and continue to develop as a playmaker, I will continue to be happy with him.

But addressing the subject of the thread, sometimes I do think he tries too hard. Especially when he tries to carry the puck into the zone. Sometimes you just can't skate it in, and you need to dump it. Especially when you have the speed he does. Dump the puck deep, and beat the defenseman to it.

Archived